[1.1.1.2] Dawnbreaker Retaliation Warder - Melee Tank Build [c+] [sr+] [g2] [vid]

This is recover of thread that was before forum crash.

Full-video-guide:

Callagadra kill [1.1.1.2] Time: 14:20

This is typical retaliation build based on two sets Dawnshield (Epic) and Dawnseeker’s Light (Legendary). Warder (Solider\Shaman) which is the basis for this build, has very good synergy and a lot of protection, one of the easiest game classes that good for newbies and pro players. If you looking for nice tank build, you welcome to read this article and familiarize yourself with the gameplay features and advantages, as well as the disadvantages of this build. This build closes SR75+ and can do better up to SR82, cleans all dungeons and Gladiator Crucible 170. Also you can kill Lokarr. Callagadra and Ravager, both are really hard with all procs and potions but doable on 1.1.3.0 version. Was a bit faster and safe on 1.1.1.2. version.

Grimtools link: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZPAWBXN

Basic Resistances: Fire 87%(+31~) Cold 87%(+46~) Lighting 87%(+101~) Poison & Acid 80%(+25~) Piercing 88%(+92~) Bleeding 80%(+117~) Vitality 80%(+25~) Aether 80%(+114~) Stun 80%(+99~) Chaos 74%
Flat Damage Reduction: Stone Form (400) \ Prismatic Rage (130) \ Overguard (90) Shield (9850)
Health Regeneration: 1130~ \ Procs 3220~
Damage (MAX): Physical Retaliation 30k \ Fire Retaliation 29k \ Lighting Retaliation 246k \ Trauma Retaliation 9k
DOT damage reduction: Bleeding 163% \ Poison 113%
Resist Reduction: 15 \ -35% \ 10%

You will need for this build two basic sets Dawnshield and Dawnbreaker’s Light both are really important and not so hard to find. Almost typical build with epic and legendary items, but there is some trick how to make it much more stronger. Basic items will not give you resistance advantages, and you will suffer from heavy RR. Use good MI’s belt as it best slot for any alternatives in this build, best choice will be Incorruptible Chains of Ordas of Soulwarding or any alternative belt with fat resist stats. You can farm this item in Port Valbury from boss or craft belt with similar suffixes\affixes “Trollheart Waistguard”. Build suffer a lot from chaos resistance level on basic items, so if you have no idea how to increase it, you can use Bloodbound Ointment potion (I do so, when I go SR because I feel that 73% chaos resist is not so good).

Gear:
Head: Mythical Dawnguard Helm
Amulet: Mythical Dawnbreaker’s Beacon
Rings: Mythical Open Hand of Mercy \ Mythical Closed Fist of Vengeance
Right Hand: Mythical Dawnbreakers Sledge
Left Hand: Mythical Dawnbreakers Duty
Torso: Mythical Dawnguard Plate
Shoulders: Mythical Dawnbreaker’s Shoulderguard
Gloves: Mythical Dawnguard Gauntlets
Pants: Mythical Tornhide Legguards
Relic: Menhir’s Bastion
Medal: Mark Markovian’s Stratagem
Belt: Incorruptible Chains of Ordas of Soulwarding \ Mythical Hammerfal Girdle
Boots: Mythical Golemborn Greaves

Gameplay - spam Wind Devil everytime after CD, use Rune of Dreeg’s Wounds to jump in, do War Cry, cast Wendigo Totem, activate Overguard and if you feel that things goes bad use Menhir’s Bastion Skill (from Relic). Look on your Menhir’s Will, if your health drops too low and try not to die till it’s CD - it also buffs your health regeneration level, so you will restore life a lot faster while it’s active. Serrated Shell that added to shield gives nice offensive skill Brutal Shield Slam - that helps a lot to deal with mage enemies. Savagery must be always active when you in battle.
I also use a few potions to increase damage and armor, Blade-Ward Tincture and Courageous Tincture.

If you want to fight with superbosses you will need to change belt on Mythical Hammerfal Girdle to have more armor that will help to negate a part of physical damage. Anyway result with Callagadra is 50\50 in version 1.1.3.0 because this build suffers from some nerfs that was early made to retaliation builds and Soliders skill “Shield Training”. So if you feel things going bad, just take a break and kite on a few seconds, wait CD of Overguard and Menhir’s Bastion skill or at least Menhir’s Will CD.

Devotions is mainly focused on enhancing protection, as well as in many at work with the shield to get the maximum value of the parameters for the use of the shield, and I must say that the shield plays a key role here. He has a huge damage absorption, but unfortunately with the previous balance sheet changes, partially been lost as a damage absorption shield and the chance to block. Nevertheless, the shield continues to be one of the key protection schemes, as well as the high armor values obtained due to selected Devotions. It is also important that there is complete or almost complete protection against DOT damage by poison and bleeding. There is also a good health regeneration.

Leveling
You can try to play trough current devotion route but with using two handed weapon and Primal Strike skill. So the game will go much faster if you focus on damage, you can also replace temporarily Messenger of War on Widow to have more resist reduction. After reaching level 94 you can switch to all the necessary things to play directly from the retaliation damage. I do not recommend starting to play from the first level using retaliation damage, as this will significantly slow down the leveling of your character, and even make the game in some places long and tedious.

Conclusion
After a few patches, this build has become weaker, and although it still runs through all the main plot content without any problems. In the Crucible, Shattered Reality and with superbosses you will face many problems. In my opinion Dawnshield and Dawnbreaker’s Light set’s requires small require small gains in both protection and the addition of basic lightning damage. In addition, it is also possible to add for the use of the entire set: resist reduction to Lighting. A slight increase of physical resistance in the shield may also be needed. And a small increaseof resistances in the set, in particular, at least one good chaos resistance bonus. Since the sets themselves occupy almost all the slots on a character, the replacement and search for alternatives boil down to only a few free slots, and there are many problems. After physical retaliation nerfs this build also lost a lot of damage. After the tests, I still remained on the current version of the items without any changes after the patch.

P.S. Guys if you know how to improve this build, you welcome to leave your comments here, I will look on them and if we will find a way how to make it better, I will add changes to this thread with names of authors.

3 Likes

Thanks! I will have a look and see what I can do about it

Hi,

How is this build after the nerfs, still viable in 1.1.4.0?

1 Like

feels not so good as before, but still can do SR75 and Callagadra (with a little bit problems)

1 Like