[1.1.2.5] Ranged Physical Retal Paladin - SR100+ & Callagadra/Naked Crucible Viable

i played w/o assassin’s mark before phys retal was buffed in testing so it’s not i impossible.

It might not be a waste at SR 105

Maybe you’re right!
But with 12k hp,it’s unlikely to pass through SR100+.
So I decided to cheat for some skill points (use snapshoting),my bad :o !

Thank you,buddy! :rolleyes:

ah, so Celestial Presence is snapshotted, that explains things. What about slow res? Does it play a role in this build?

No,I don’t even notice that,I though stun & freeze resist are enough.
And I thought the slow resist would only effect the speed you run.:o
Thank you for your remind !

Very nice build, retal from RF added to all wps, I didn’t think of that. SR 100+ too, you have more patience than I do.

Wow. That answers the question I had since retal fervor was discovered.

How long does it take to get to 100+? Seems like it would take too long, especially without RR.

I ran a rather similar build pre-nerf until recently (switched to the two-handed fire variant) but I missed out a lot of damage due to shield choice. Regarding the AOE, I ran a dagallon pistol as secondary weapon for pass-through that can be switched into with W. The caveat though is that u need a second shield to make it work. U give up some damage for the aoe but u could switch in and out rather quickly depending on need.

A few questions though:
-Why Havoc over Viper Sandspitter (MI). Is the +1 to all skills inquisitor that crucial? Viper has a 50% elemental-> physical conversion that adds up to 35k of retal damage with all buffs on. It also comes with a nice amount of +OA, more so if u could get the right affixes on the MI.
-Can i have some sort of explanation regarding the devotion choice? I ran with shieldmaiden/targo in my build but gave up on light of empyrion. Is it that crucial for high SR runs?

I didn’t known that either until some player told me .
Thank you,buddy ! :smiley:

About 10 hours,such a boring process.
No,I got the max rank RR,by using snapshoting :o.
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jly8jZ

I though of dw pistols at first,but the green shield gives me a lot of physical retal damage & %retal damage increase & defense,sheet damage are nearly the same while carrying two Havoc & a second shield.So I chose the shield at last.

Green weapons don’t depend on its base but also their fixes.
Click the below GT-link and check its weapon with the fantasticest fixes
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zAazkN
It’s indeed a Aetherrials slayer,right?
(Even if it’s unlike to get it through hard farm,but there’re still some other wonderful fixes)

I think every build should need a damage reducing skill(or % damage absorption) in high level SR.

In SR100,monsters are buffed(according to official sheet):
+30% critical damage
+95 DA,7.2% increase
+72 OA,7.2% increase
+15% attack speed
+3808% HP

• 15% cast speed
  • 1884% Total damage

Light of Empyrion doesn’t work with ranged enemies,so I find really difficult when I fought Aleksander in SR 98.
Shieldmaiden/targo are very good,but the block chance & block recover of Paladin is very bad (it doesn’t have a safe guard),so I decided to chose Light of Empyrion.(And I thought of changing the Aura of Conviction into Censure after fighting Aleksander,then I can choose Shieldmaiden/targo.)

I wasnt talking about DW, but secondary weapon as in switching between the weapons using the w key, and from a quick search it seems like that shield is probably the BiS for damage/physical resist purposes since most legendaries shield fall behind there.

I understand how MI work. The amount affixes needed for the sandspitter to have a decent offensive ability is not a lot especially when compared to the shield which requires 2 specific (one rare) affixes or the medal, which require even more, and literally only comes off one boss. I had a heartpiercing of attack drop for me (rare + uncommon affix combination), but any combination of Frenzy/Heart-piercing/officer’s of Attack/readiness/any rare affixes with Offensive ability would have been better than the Havoc.

Btw, it would be nice if u could give some credit as I did point to you the interaction between WPS like Jaxxon’s, Storm Spread, etc with Retaliation Damage added to attack from Righteous Fervor (retribution). The amount of multiplication for the retaliation added to attack, in case u missed my correct from your previous thread, is 8x, not 4x or 4+1, because both storm spread as well as Jaxxon’s lucky bullet’s WPS shoots TWICE, which gives a total of 8 projectiles, all of which gives Retaliation Damage Added to Attack.

Pretty insane build, and that phys resist :open_mouth:

I wonder if its possible to make a version with hellborne and a mix of ignaffar gear, gaze of empyrion etc. Would be interesting to see.

:smiley:
Well,I have built a fire retal Paladin using hellborne not long ago,which is much more aggressive but not as tanky as this build.
Its limit in SR is below 95,but actually is a boss slayer in Crucible.
https://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84441

There’s been already a hellborne version out there, but my current (incomplete) build is here:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkKXAdN

Still farming for a decent ikrix MI medal because i dont feel like ripping my lottery-level Witch-Hunter-Ikrix scale of Attack from my chaos deceiver. Or stoneplate boots from my other chars. But the gist of it is there.

Ignaffar/gaze of empyrion arent that effective since they dont come with support for retaliation damage, so it’s not as effective. Hellbourne already converts all physical damage to fire damage (including retal damage added to attack) for Righteous Fervor, so it ends up being just stacking physical damage retal equipment (basically close to a copy and paste of half the retal builds around) and then just running with it.

Sorry,I misread your words:o.
Yes,you’re right,dagallon is better in AOE because of its 100% pass through .
And which shield are you talking about,can you please give me the link in GT?

Yep,you are nice guy who told me about that.I think of that, you are in my last thread which is buried in the forum.
Thanks for your tips.:smiley:

And both storm spread as well as Jaxxon will Shoots TWICE.I really don’t know about that.
I have seen Jaxxon’s skill with 8 projectiles,but that’s so rare.I thought it has 8 because both rings were effected.
Anyway,I will test it later.

Pre-nerf i was using Bramblevine, but it isnt worthwhile anymore since the amount of gain is negligible and u further cut the physical retal with physical->acid conversion. Your shield is the best in slot for such a build. In fact i think it ultimately hinges on the shield since the shield itself contributes between 30% to 40% of the overall physical retal, and the next best alternative (final stop) drops the damage by about 10%.

Btw, u might want to mention that there’s a trick to getting the shield without “farming” for it. The merchant “Hyram” sells the MI, so u could use the merchant restock trick to rerun the item until u get the affixes, which would probably takes hours if not days nonetheless, but probably makes it possible to get. Something positive is that while u’re doing that u could still buy off all the aether crystal/shards/etc off him as well while u’re cycling through his stock.

Yes,I tried to use the Bramblevine before,but it converts my physical damage to acid(damn it) and I don’t even have a acid RR.

You’re right,thought I think all the experienced players know how to get this shield.
I have added this information in my thread.:slight_smile:

Liking the build concept a lot.
Is it possible for this spec to kill Celestials, like Crate of Entertainment and Callagadra?
Would any adjustments be necessary?

I like this so much lacrimosa. Have you tried it with stronghold set? I think I will try to craft one with it.

Technically even barrage type WPS like chilling round can synergize well with this RtA concept.