[1.1.4.2] Winter has come. Historically accurate Night King roleplay: immense dmg, can be killed by a little girl (2H cold trickster, c+)

Hello again!

As Night King, we know where our journey ends - taking a critical hit while under huge RR debuff facetanking the wrong boss. So let’s make the journey wonderful!

Night%20King
<< Grimtools >>
<< More tanky version with easy greens >>

Lay waste to the living who forgot what it’s like to endure 170%+ RR!
Doesn’t matter that you have 50% incoming spike dmg even from trash waves. What’s dead may never die!.. Or was it my line?

General idea:

The build is made around the weapon (this is my third complete build with a 2H sword). We want a good autoattack with double RR class for cold because Winter is inevitable. Trickster seemed like a good fit with the possibility to convert PS into cold.

Rest is buffs. Apparently you don’t need any more AoE, including procs. Everything around you dies so fast as if they all want to join the army of the Dead.

Gear:

Stack RR, cold dmg and resists. Not really much to tell here. Imo Winter King crown is BiS but you need to suport it with. Blue set is a much easier option, has more single target RR, lots of resists and more dmg. On paper it’s much more squishy but…

Problems:

Any misplay will get you killed no matter the armor. I don’t know what really happens during half of deaths because on paper the spec (the Winter King one) seems more tanky than my usual approach. And more often than not you will have no problems facetanking anything. But sometimes you experience huge dmg spikes for no apparent reason. Or you just stop leeching on a spot.

I can be proud not only of vivid explanations but also of my godawful play exposing every problem you might experience with the build:
<< 150-170 7.35 slow rig >>

The main obvious problem i have and cannot currently mitigate - piano with buffs. Lag can make you skip one of them. In the video you can clearly see how often i skip ABB even tho i’m pressing the button. With attack speed so far from the cap any miss due to unbuffed OA will lead to 1 sec without leeching.

Why not the crown proc? Even with saved skill points and amulet slot it seems to be worse. Single target is ok but AoE is awkward.

Conclusion:

5 Likes

Was literally thinking about this build 10minutes ago, boom it gets posted :rofl: gj!

Lol, thanks! Ideas are floating in the air :grinning:

well if some one want some ideas about builds i got a lot and i dont think one of them can be viable

I have tested similiar concept but with Deathmarked items I think (or was it couple of Korba items and SS shoulders, can’t remember). The main obstacle that stands between this build and fast Crucible clears is its awkwardness and clunkiness: too many buttons to press - all of them disrupt our PS spam. I think if you change chains of Oleron to Skull and find a way to get your DA to 2930+ you will have much easier times. But SS set lacks OA DA unfortunately, so I say change pants to something better.

this may be bad or good dunno i made some change’s in ur build :

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2BnYMb2

Interesting build here! Honestly, I’m kind of disappointed that the Conduit doesn’t change the PS graphic though…

Different pants might be better. I took these for big dmg gain from 22/12 el. aw. and all around good stats. There is a lot to improve in both specs but i kinda got tired of dying to things i cannot explain. Maybe i’ll come back to it later with more experience.

There is zero problems with clear times. If you saw the video, everything melts very fast and AoE is surprisingly decent. The problem is piano. If you miss one buff in a cycle it’s like losing a banner. No Savagery or PB up is very punishing.

That’s because for some reason conversion doesn’t apply to Torrent. I’d like to believe it’s just an oversight, not intended. Because it contradicts the conduit gimmick of the skill conversion.

No, it’s not an oversight. Torrent doesn’t get affected by transmutors, which is both good and bad.

Pros: Does not get affected by damage reduction on thunderous strike
Cons: Leftover lightning damage

I would recommend 3 piece rimetongue set (or chest piece at the very least), undying oath, storm titan, and change of rings. You don’t benefit from pierce/cold conversion.

^edited

Relic proc does a lot of single target dmg and benefits from conversion.
I’ll definitely come back to the build after i get adequate PC.

^Right. forgot about this. You’ll probably want to try undying oath though.

Personally, never really felt like Elemental Awakening was worth soft-capping or overcapping.

Things about Tricksters is that they are intricate beasts - a lot of damage and very little defense. So balancing a Trickster build is always hard, you have to pay attention to every little detail, and sometimes one little detail can be a difference between build being consistent and build dying every second time. In your case, I think DA is a problem. Low DA is not something that Trickster can ever afford.

off-topic ramble:

Would be cool to see a 2H shadow strike / wind devil cold trickster set, with some global lightning/cold conversion for dat maelstrom action.

Unfortunately, item modifiers for skills only apply to the base skill, not to secondary skills that are added such as Torrent for PS or Explosive Strike for FS in Demo or Soulfire for EoR in OK as other examples. Sucks, but it’s an engine limitation apparently…

But, I’m not sure how Crate would make a lightning skill from the sky look like Cold Damage anyways unless it becomes like TSS or Blizzard Devotion proc.

To clarify, transmutors affect some skills within the skill line. E.g. skyfire grenado will convert shattering blast’s IT damage.

Engine limitation? Just convert the whole line of the skill individually and don’t show it in the description. Not converting the whole line is counterintuitive to say the least. If i want to convert the Torrent i need 100% lightning->cold conversion and at that point i don’t need this conversion from the conduit.

Very true. Perhaps the item skill modifiers could be present, but hidden so we don’t see them. Then you could have a “100% Lightning Damage converted to Cold Damage to Torrent”, but not see it. Not sure if it can be done, but that would be a good question for @Zantai.

It’s very frustrating to see this happen, but that’s why some items still have global conversion present even with specific skill conversions present.

This is a issue for EOR too. The chaos conversion from Scythe of tenebris only converts the physical on EOR but not the physical on soulfire, making it incredibly lackster.