[1.1.6.2] Beginner's vitality caster Conjurer guide, how to build monster build from the scratch! Suitable for first character

Hi!
From what I noticed you were using a lot of equip with %Poison damage and this build is focused mainly on Vitality and Bleeding. This may help with single target dmg. Also, this is mainly a DoT (damage over time) skills, so it’s important to remember to really the RR (Curse of Frailty and Devouring Swarm) than Blood Pox, you don’t need to spam thought.

Regarding survavibility, if you are doing Akrovia you may need to bump up (especially) your Pierce resistance.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • Damage type is pure vitality.
  • Weapon you should use is Boneblade, which is classified as sword.
  • Single target damage is through Sigil and procs. As I wrote it’s not single target oriented build but getting Wendigo, Rattosh, Scales and Dying God each will boost your single target damage.
1 Like

Thanks for answers! Great community, love this game :slight_smile:

upd:
that’s me for now - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2mjL7rV
Dmg and survivability are incredible. Solo target too.

3 Likes

Right?! This build is sturdy af.

When i hit level 75 i put a Seal of Blight in my Boneblade and doubled down on single target damage on targets on Sigils using Acid Purge which crits like dynamite. This is, however, an extremely janky playstyle requiring you to play piano like crazy fingers and is ultimately not advisable… BUT! It will cause some heavy hits along with all the RR. Its not really necessary though. The Sigils are great and if you can keep dropping them quickly you melt everything anyway.

1 Like

Just checking back in after a few days of playing. I’m having a lot of fun with Curse of Frailty and Sigil of Consumption in particular. :smiley: I’m playing on Normal so that may have something to do with it, but I’m having no issues so far and am enjoying the build.

I have a question regarding Bloody Pox ‒ per the guide, I have it assigned to the Bat’s proc. Do I just ignore it now and leave it to happen at a 20% clip, or should I also keep activating it specifically? The reason I ask is because I have trouble visually identifying when Pox is in effect, so it’s just altogether harder for me to get a read or a grasp on the skill.

Here’s me for now: Level 36
Please if someone gets a chance can they take a look and see what I need to put more emphasis in. Keep in mind this is my first playthrough so I’m still lacking for recipes and augments. I’m paranoid about my spirit being too low. I’ve gone full in on vitality dmg though and at present am wholloping with it; I try to bolster bleeding dmg when I can. More or less trying to balance my resistances but not having much luck finding means for amassing stun and chaos res.

I’ve got a couple of neat components in there, or I think at least. A couple of pieces still missing components just cause I forgot to slot ones in. I haven’t come across any bone weapons yet.

Another question: If you look at my dagger, it does vitality damage instead of physical damage, but it has a % physical dmg converted to vitality dmg … since it doesn’t do physical dmg to begin with, is that perk essentially useless for this weapon?

2 Likes

Im still looking but for starters, youre not using any Relic. Also, youre not using the shield or boneblade. It could be you havent reached the Mountain Deeps yet, so youre not able to farm for shield and blade yet, but the Relic you should have- its very easy to get and no blueprint required. You just choose to lie after finding the Elder’s Medallion for that Faction quest in Arkovia. This would help with your fears of dropping Spirit too low, it can give you crazy energy regen.

If you dont want to use that Relic, i suggest using any Relic that will buff your Vit damage, or give +1 to Shaman or Occultist skills. What Relics do you have blueprints for?

I also found that gear with the Gildam Arcanum (even if its just one piece) can give this build a nice little boost while leveling. Being able to double-up on Sigil every now and then is devastating.

2 Likes
  • Bat proc is visible enough, it’s two red fangs striking the enemies. You can try at dummies. Pox is great activator, when there’re multiple enemies.

• Most blueprints are sold by factions, so you can try doing some bounties so you can max them earlier.

• Where are you in terms of location? At level 36 you should be past Mountain Deeps, where weapon/shield are dropping.

• Weapons are working in this way, they have base damage. Daggers/scepters have smaller base but are magical, in this case vitality. Swords/Maces/Axes have physical damage but the base damage is higher. But this is important for builds focused around skills with high weapon damage. This one isn’t like this. Physical to vitality conversion on the weapon also don’t matter here. If you play for example vitality Cadence Death Knight it would’ve.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick replies!

Too late for me on the Elder Medallion, unfortunately, I gave it back to the dude. :frowning: The relics I have blueprints for are Bladesworn Talisman, Gunslinger Talisman, Calamity, Equilibrium, Gluttony, Rampage, Ruination, and Specter. Gluttony looks good for buffing vit damage, but it requires an Ancient Heart and I haven’t had one of those drop for me yet. Maybe Equilibrium for now? Or maybe Rampage cause it buffs bleeding dmg?

Nery, thanks for the tip on the practice dummies in Devil’s Crossing. I tried Pox on them and it was doing wayyy more visually than I originally thought. I just started putting points into Wasting, too, so it should be doing even more soon.

I just checked the map and see that I am still a few rifts away from the Mountain Deeps. Looking forward to getting there for bone gear drops. Right now I’m still around the Twin Falls Rift, and just did a quest for a Death’s Vigil spirit, alongside We Need Food quest.

Good to know about the %-to-% thing; makes sense you’d only really care about it if the original portion was a large number to begin with, otherwise it’s just a small percentage of a small number.

I’ll report back in around the Mountain Deeps.

1 Like

I cant remember how to get ancient hearts other than defeating bosses/monster totems, one-shot chests and treasure troves. Its tough in the beginning. I would save the other mats needed for Gluttony and once you get ancient heart craft it. Unless you get something better for relic spot before that happens.

1 Like

Level 95 now. Got the skull and you weren’t kidding, build is godlike with it. Still rockin Lokar gear too lol. Finally got eldritch pact blueprint. Farming SR for a good mythical wendigomane leggings. Will post GT later today.

1 Like

About to embark on a quest to farm Dark Ones set. Its that time!

Shino at level 95!

EDIT: Shino level 100!

Still farming for dark ones. done 3 runs so far, not a single piece dropping.

You should definitely work on that DA, you are in crit every third strike territory. Get Irrah’s Blood augments and maybe 2x Ravager Eye in weapon/off-hand. Also since you are using Acid Purge Restless Remains in gloves are better.

Btw surprised that you have Lokarr set but not Dark One, since cultists are in same area :thinking:

1 Like

One of the perks of playing multiplayer! If you got someone to carry you, you can get access to some content you wouldnt be able to access on your own.

Being that I am still a noob despite 3000 hours of gametime, this was the method by which I was able to acquire a full set of Lokarr’s gear. But always when i joined other players farming Lokarr, they just speed ran through the area, and me, the noob, not knowing where the hell i was supposed to be going, just struggled to follow the leader amidst the fireworks. A classic case of tunnel vision.

But now, thanks to you, I have a build that will be strong enough to fully explore and overcome most game content! I just need to get my faction rep up so i can kick my augment game into high gear.

2 Likes

Hey @Nery,

thanks for this very detailed guide.

I’m new to the forum as a poster, but been reading a lot.
My history with GD is just one character so far: DW Cadence BM.
I love the char, but it seems a bit difficult to gear for if you really want to do endgame farming (got shattered, but still got only one piece of belogo, even missing the headpiece bp :neutral_face:).
So i need another char for that and since i just recently farmed Dark One’s, Lokarr’s and i have all items/blueprints but one ring for the Conjurer of the Dark Arts that you mentioned, i wanted to try this beginner’s guide, since i still feel like a noob in GD :slight_smile:.

So this is my first leveling with Lokarr’s. Died a few times in the beginning, because the playstyle differs a little from what i’m used to…
I am playing veteran atm, collecting easy to reach shrines while doing the main quests and low hanging side quests. Log is the next milestone.

This is my current build: GT
I know my resists are bad, but it works well with the current content.
If you got any tipps, they would be appreciated.

There is a specific question i got though:
Why prefer a boneblade over a bonespike like the one i use?
I understood that flat vit dmg is not what this build needs but percentage and the weapon dmg also doesn’t matter. But i can’t quite grasp how to compare gear to the one i have if sheet dps can be misleading with this build.
Another problem is the off-hand. i like the effigy but i don’t know if it would be worth farming for bonewalls (i found some already, but can’t really see the difference in performance), maybe you can clear that up a little?

Thanks for all the work you put in this guide and all the profound answers you gave already.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

• I personally prefer Normal to Veteran difficulty, cause early game you need some time to make skills/devotions shine.

• Conjurer of Dark Arts is great build, so if you have the gear you are up for a threat. The style is very different from BM, typical melee versus full piano caster. Just remember to stack multiple Sigils beneath your enemies and you will be fine.

• From your GT, I will change the off-hand component to Purified Salt. Aether res is more important than pierce everywhere in the game, except for Cronley’s cultists. Also Soul Shard in the medal and Sanctified Bone against Log will help you as well. Also offensive ability is low, put some points in Blood of Dreeg next and Chains of Oleron component in chest if you have it.

• Bonespike is nice weapon as well, but rule of thumb check for skill mods you can use. Boneblade have vitality damage and - vitality resistance reduction mod to Pox, so I like it better. But well rolled Bonespike might be good too.

• Effigy is also good option for off-hand if you focus on on Corrupted Totems. But my main idea is to utilize Sigil of Consumption, with it’s vitality damage and healing. The shield will make you sturdy, not because it’s a shield but because of Sigil mod.

2 Likes

Hey @Nery, im still farming rep to hit revered with all faction with this guy so i can shore up the holes in its resistances and defenses. While doing this ive unlocked the quest where i choose a sacrifice to summon Ravager.

Which one should I choose? Tyvald?

I don’t remember who to sacrifice, the difference is what type of Ravager you get. I don’t think your build is ready to kill it.

But don’t sacrifice the strong dude for sure, maybe the girl?

1 Like

Oh yeah im not attempting yet, need to fix my defenses and get dark ones first

Thanks for the good advice Nery, i think that helped me a lot to understand the build better. I did good before, but now everything is just a breeze. I wonder how long I can use Lokarr’s with this setup.
Log was easy (did it already before I read your answer). After that I basically ran through AoM until Crown Hills.

As Weapon I use a Wraithbound Ascendant Source of Decay atm, which I find is also suitable for the build because of the Sigil mods.

Can’t wait to get to 100 and use the gear i started this for :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I used Lokarr’s till level 95 with zero issues on this build. Its a beast!

1 Like