[1.1.9.1] Budget 2-handed ranged "The Desolator" Fire Strike Fire Purifier

with the spirit you can’t take off the crossroad

Yes, you can. You just have to make sure that any constellations that depend on having a certain amount of points are bought back first if they can’t sustain themselves with the bonuses they give.

ah here, the constellation must be complete, thank you

Hello, I just had to create an account to comment what a blast I had with this build.

I’ve been playing Grim Dawn on and off for years, only reaching level 40 or so, but this build and well written guide finally managed to suck me in and I hit level 100 only a few minutes ago, killing the Loghorrean on Ultimate. At times I did had some real trouble getting the correct resists, and early game AOE was a real pain, but when the frost and electric shots started proccing regularly, the build really came together. Once I crafted the Desolator (which was also a real pain for a rookie), I flew through content.

Due to resist restrictions I’ve only been able to replace the feet so far, and I haven’t even found the BP for the relic. Despite this I still seem able to facetank (nearly) every boss on Ultimate which feels great.

I would just like to thank you for putting this build together so neatly (and with mostly accessible gear) to help me finally get into this game. Would definitely recommend to other new players! I love that you included a follow-up build, so once I get that up and rolling and get some celestial boss-gear, I’m looking forward to see what other guides you’ve made.

Cheers!

7 Likes

Glad to hear that you had fun with the build and congratulation for reaching level 100 - and also good luck on the further journay :slight_smile:

(I make my budget builds mainly because of one reason, my initial builds were really lacking - and so I lost the fun in playing the game - tried later again - and repeat - until finally I got it - so I am really glad that the build could help you to overcome this phase)

2 Likes

The best build I’ve played so far. Kept improving on gear but this was my starting point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made it to 100 with this! Was a pretty fun leveling experience but I do recommend going Grenado/Blackwater Cocktail start for awhile until you get some AOE devotions and some of the Inquisitor WPS skills with at least one point. Personally, I switched at around Level 45-50 since caster Demo was still strong with minimal investment. Fire Strike just doesn’t clear particular well until you get some AOE going.

Also, I’m not sure whether becoming enemies with Barrowholm was worth it. I did so in Elite but realised that their exclusive dungeon also didn’t have many spawn locations for the Cultists that you need to kill for Arcaneweaver. I was lucky and got one with lucky spawns but I think I could probably be fine just farming Gloomwald for it. There’s how I got the level 82 version of Arcaneweaver anyways.

Last note, you can slot in Turtle Shell or Ghoul by taking off 1 point from Ulzuin Torch (the Burn Damage & Max Fire Res node) and forgoing Scholar’s Light. This should provide a good defensive boost.

1 Like

Thx for the feedback :slight_smile:

I am absolutely sure that there are better early leveling skills - but I prefer to avoid for such builds different levelling approaches (skills) for different phases (well, it cannot always be avoided). And as it was my first ranged two handed purifier, I wanted a more pure levelling experience (one that works but not necessarily uses the best or optimal build). But yeah, your observation is correct, early, the lack of AoE damage is rather feelable and having some alternatives posted here is surely helpful.

Regarding Barrowholm, you are likely correct that getting them hostile is not necessarily worth the trouble as it is not even guaranteed to get an Arcaneweaver drop in their dungeon (iirc, had once 3-4 runs in a row without one while leveling). Perhaps one reason for the descision to keep them hostile was “If not here, then when” - as you typical keep them friendly and here I had at least a (weak) argument for doing the opposite.