[1.1.9.3] Beginner's Albrecht's Aether Ray Spellbinder

I was surprised myself, when I’ve read it. :blush:

But not as surprised here. I thought energy leech always scales with WD but you say since it’s separate source, always have the same impact. Hmmm, never thought about it.

Also WD on proc will still require bigger flat, not that I said that :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I am going to try to explain this in the easiest way possible since it can be confusing even for experienced players sometimes. Please @tqFan, correct me if I do say anything wrong since I am just a 950 hours pleb, but I believe I got this one concept correct.

The logic of ADCtH and Energy Leech is the same as flat damage sources: when you have ADCtH, Energy Leech, or flat damage on gear or passive devotions (like the ADCtH or flat bleed damage node from fox devotion or the energy leech node from viper devotion) they are added to your weapon damage, so they would only work on attacks, procs, or skills that have weapon damage (such as spear of heavens proc in this build). So if you look at Nery’s build, the energy leech from his Arcane Spark is only affecting his spear of heavens proc, bat proc, and his movement skill since these are his only sources of weapon damage. The same is true for his ADCtH from the restless remains component he is using on gloves. However, the ADCtH from his off-hand is applied to the specific skill AAR, so it works on the full damage of AAR even though it does not have weapon damage.

From Nery’s point of view, it looked like he thought that scales proc worked as a buff that was added to his weapon damage (analogous to the one from arcane spark I just explained) so it would not be that helpful since it would only affect spear of heavens, bat proc, his movement skill, and the scales proc, since it also has 33% weapon damage. However, since the energy leech from scales is described in the skill from scales itself and it is an active attack skill and not a buff, I have the same opinion as tqFan that this energy leech should not apply only to his weapon damage, analogous to the 132% ADCtH from he skill that also applies to its full damage. This is what tqFan is explaining here:

About Nery’s response:

Even if the energy leech only worked on the 33% WD of the skill, 400 energy leech over 2 seconds is insane nonetheless. That is like 10 times the energy leech per second that arcane spark provides for a skill with 100% WD. Correct me if I am wrong here, but even if scaled by the 33% WD, it would still be 132 energy leech over 2 seconds. However, as I just explained in the previous paragraph, tqFan and I believe that the 400 energy leech applies fully in this case and is not scaled by WD. Why do you say the WD on proc requires a big flat? If you are converting the flat vitality to aether through the Chains of Ygraad belt, you don’t need flat and can almost ignore the WD component of scales proc (although it also contributes a bit).

3 Likes

Not only I believed in it but also tested. It’s full 400 energy leech, a very huge surge, defiiniely not 132 / 2.

4 Likes

The “believe” was mainly for me lol. I actually thought you were sure about this, but couldn’t confidently say so since it was just my guess. Glad to know you tested it and works like that.

Scales proc is like an easy fix for any caster with energy issues. This would also allow to maybe change that Mark of Illusions lol. However, it is hard to get yellow points in Nery’s devotions map. I think you can’t get scales without significantly changing the map (probably would have to give up on Aeon). I am trying to fit scales, aeon, widow, and spear here, but it ain’t working. You need 20 blue, 8 red, 8 yellow, and 6 green plus 2 T3 devotions.

Update: Ok, nevermind. It is possible to fit scales, aeon, widow, and spear. The best options I could come up with are these: Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator and Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator. Depends on whether you prefer bat proc or the phys res from sailor’s guide. I am not sure however if this is the most efficient/optimal approach though. Someone more experienced might get a better map while fitting these four core devotions together. If you are still interested in a map with scales for endgame, you can try one of these @11115. You could also level with them and respec to Nery’s map when energy is not a problem anymore.

3 Likes

So many useful information, ty man. For my leveling time now on 70+ i choose a dev map that includes scales, bat, watcher, sailor’s and spear, but without aeon - i haven’t seen any need to refresh CD yet. For me now it work somehow this way Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

And yes, with the scales mana issues has gone, and AAR finally fully maxed. And for my endgame i will try Nery’s way and your one with bat, will see wich one is more comfortable

3 Likes

Your devotion map looks pretty strong and you are right: aeon is not that necessary for leveling. Time Dilation is also a devotion skill that is useful even at level 1, so your build won’t suffer too much if the skill is not near max level yet when you reach level 100 (it just has higher cd at lower levels, but the difference is not as impactful as in other damage or RR devotions).

3 Likes

Nice guide @Nery. You can take Hound for Lizard, since you don’t stack regen, and convert physique to extra spirit.

4 Likes

Big thanks for putting together an updated beginner build for those of us getting a late start to the game.

Just curious why, when leveling, you dump so many points into spectral binding. You don’t pick up Aether Ray til relatively late, and ravenous earth doesn’t look like it benefits at all. What am I missing? I suppose the health is nice to have …?

1 Like

Hi and thanks for your comment!

Yes, in early stages of the game aether damage isn’t that big, so Spectral Binding have less effect compared to AAR setup. But extra OA for more crits and health are especially nice. Also Spectral Binding have some flat damage, which will be added to skills with percentage weapon damage like Lightning Nova or Bat proc. Spectral Wrath is also good for clearing trash before they hit you.

1 Like

Just started playing Grim Dawn and wanted to thank you for this guide! :smiley:

1 Like

hi @Nery, tried to do this bulid, with the clair set, and its so painful, i did the same thing as shown, adding much into spirit, its very squishy, i dont know if i should invest in it anymore, i spend so much time and effort and its still hard to kill a normal boss

edit: did some configuration, still squishy, but playable, i still feel its not worth it

I have been trying to play this build, and been working on the rep/enchants of getting my resistances up but I am struggling with understanding how you are using Kymon enchants, when we cannot side with them as Necromancers. I am new to the game, but am I missing something?

Specifically referencing the demonbane powder, kymon blessing.

1 Like

If Kymon augments are being used, it’s my mistake and you should ignore them. :sweat_smile:

Other than that, you can still select Kymon but only if you level your character as solo Arcanist and select Necro class after you side with Kymon. Anyway these augments hardly justify it.

1 Like

I am having a heck of a time farming SR 75-76 Elite with a friend in multiplayer. This is what I am working with right now, but I am constantly… just getting deleted. I don’t get to do anything, just… dead.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong, or is it just kind of par for this build that you are a bit of a glass cannon?

1 Like

I will start with the fact you are using the more offensive version of off-hand. You’re missing SO much sustain not using Pulsing Shard, really AAR don’t have weapon damage and you can leech from it only with mods.

Other than that your version is still missing some end game items, that can help. I would say Clair set+proper off-hand will be enough for SR 75-76 farming, otherwise I would stick to 65-66.

Well, I have the pulsating shard as well but I guess, what makes it so much better than this?

The problem I am having is less of sustaining my life, and more of a boss floors sometimes just one shot me before I can even react to anything having occurred, and by looking at the shard I am struggling to understand what that will fix?

I am new to the game, so I am certainly missing something and just trying to understand what interaction it has that helps?

1 Like

I would still try using Pulsing Shard anyway. Life Steal can help a lot.

One shots are destined to happen in SR. I mean Fabius is machine in realms. For SR I would try increasing health and maybe DA. Health pool can give you more chances to not be insta killed. And also player skills matter. Binder need good timing of Mirror (failsafe option) and Mark but also in SR you’re constantly debuffed, so Null when you have few icons in bottom right corner of you screen.

Hey im new to the game and this is basically my first character and im having a hard time figuring out why your level 40 has more points than mine im like 20 or so short (by points i mean skill points)

My guess is you’ve put more base skill points into skills than OP has to equal the skill levels shown in the Grimtools. Blue numbers in a skill mean it’s being boosted by gear. Hold Control + Shift on the Grimtools skill page to see how many base points are in a skill. The only way to see base skill points in-game is to remove your skill boosting gear. However, you can upload your character to Grimtools and use the same Control + Shift trick to compare yours to the guide.

It’s also possible that a merit was used on this char to unlock all difficulties and waypoints which also unlocks ~4 skill points from quests but I doubt this is the case as OP didn’t say one was used in the intro.

2 Likes

I’ve been quite enjoying the build so far. Just hit Elite and so far still cruising. One question I had is that I have done devotions exactly as specified, but find I am 2 red affinity points shy of Revenant and in fact, most of the devotions listed from thereon out. Did they change something with affinity bonuses recently? Any way around this?