[1.1.9.3] FPS keep decrease as i got further into the game

Hello there, I’m on a Ryzen 7 3700U with Radeon Vega 10 running Manjaro Linux. Everything is at low or off except for textures witch are at medium (I tried to lower that as well) Steam overlay and cloud save are off. I also activated the multi-thread mode and added /d3d9 to arguments.

So, when I first started the game I was getting 40-60 fps with no drastic drops. However, as I progress the game and got to half of the main quest line the game started to have performance issues, having more than 3-5 enemies on the screen caused the fps to drop to one-digit numbers. I didn’t care and played anyways however when I got to the first DLC the game became constantly choppy and unplayable. For the last 20 hours, I have been playing the game with 5-15 fps. I wouldn’t normally care but it actually started to cause me to lose at fights that I wouldn’t normally lose.

Welcome. Sometimes GD uses one core more heavily than the others. This may help.

I am not familiar with playing GD on Linux, but have you looked at Steam :: Steam for Linux :: Introducing a new version of Steam Play?

Is there a particular reason for this? Usually I would recommend to remove that and activate Deferred Rendering in the video options, if your hardware supports DirectX11.

If you have set Corpse Persistence (tab: Gameplay) to a high value, this might cause issues.

This might be caused by the number of assets the game is loading in later areas. Places like Port Valbury and Malmouth used to be the greatest offenders. Deferred Rendering should help here.

As we do not officially support Linux, I am moving this out of bug reporting.

There are players in the community that do run the game on Linux though, so hopefully someone can offer you some insight. That said, I think the most stable way to go about that is with Proton.

And it is a very smooth and stable experience on Proton - https://www.protondb.com/app/219990

Hello, I do use proton experimental (tried with older versions as well)
I added /d3d9 because it was suggested on a forum for linux however I did tried without /d3d9 as well, it didn’t change anything.
I didn’t change the default Corpse Persistence settings however copses doesn’t necessarily cause this issue it’s the living enemy count that makes the fps suffer.
I do have Deferred Rendering on, sadly that doesn’t change much either.

I do use proton. Proton experimental to be exact, I tried with older proton versions as well.

If you create a new character and run it for a bit… what’s the fps like?

After re-reading the thread I’m beginning to think this just comes down to asking too much of your hardware. On a first read I didn’t realize you were on integrated graphics - though that does explain why you tried /d3d9.

Had to do some searching because there isn’t an abundance of info on Integrated Graphics out there, but Vega 10 is below the GTX 500 line recommended for Grim Dawn on the Steam Store page:

(Note the GTX 555 series released in 2011)

I’m inclined to chalk this up as a hardware insufficiency/overheating.

2 Likes

From my experience Grim Dawn don’t run particularly well on integrated graphics. You can have modern processor providing them and still would be worse than ancient dedicated graphics card. I don’t know why but I’ve tested it.

Overheating should be out of the question though. Integrated graphics have lower temperature even at 100% work rate.

I would also suggest to OP to lower resolution if it’s 1080p will have serious impact on FPS.

1 Like

Hehe, tell that to my laptop!

I used to get <30fps tops from low-settings on a laptop from 2014 with integrated graphics. Overheating was the culprit of many issues. Those fans sure got a workout! :smiley:

1 Like

I know how much laptops can overheat. Shutdown of system after two minutes of gaming :sweat_smile:

But I wouldn’t assume integrated graphics would raise such temperatures as dedicated graphics, my bad. Laptop cleaning is pretty important, especially for older riggs. So OP can share, if they tried that. Also AIDA can track temperatures. Or GPU core and drivers program as well.

I did try to lower it to the lowest possible, it doesn’t change anything sadly.

The laptop is like two years old and I just recently started gaming. so I don’t think it’s a fan issue. GPU temp is at 56C

How about RAM? What is capacity? Is it running in dual channel (two modules) which is best for iGPU? Have modules at least 3000 Mhz? How much RAM is assigned for iGPU in BIOS? I saw many HW configuration in laptops which could easily criple iGPU performance which isn´t optimal even with good HW configuration in desktop.

RAM is 16GB i am not sure if it’s two or one module couldn’t found much info on lenovos site but I believe its 2400 MHz I don’t know how much ram assigned for igpu I’m going to check that. Just to be safe though, how much should I assign in your opinion?

Just checked BIOS sadly nothing about RAM assigned to GPU, only option I found that somewhat sounds close was “UMA Frame buffer Size” which was already maxed at 2G

My notebook is i7-10510U + NVIDIA® GeForce® MX110 with 2GB.

I concluded that you can only play on Linux/Windows with the base game and characters with physical damage. Any special effects and pet is impractical. No SR and Crucible! I had to uninstall the expansions.

For my hardware, it doesn’t matter windows or linux(ubuntu).
I recommend you test it on windows to find out if the problem is just Linux or if it’s your hardware.

Because if it’s just linux, always the option to use windows. If it’s the hardware, like me, then give up.

I take this opportunity to thank the developers for the Xbox version!

Well, with only 2gb RAM you’re at the minimum to run the game.

I mean, i do have 16GB ram. As for windows goes, I don’t want to change my os because of a game. But I do think my problem is somewhat related to linux.