[1.1.9.7] Void Soul Flames of Ignaffar Deceiver (optimization issues)

Hello everyone,

I have been absent from both the game itself and the forums for quite a while. Since I currently suffer from laryngitis and thus unable to work for the time being (I need to talk a lot at my job), I found some time to create a build I always wanted to create ever since I found the Void Soul set.

Grim Tools: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2Bg0vJV
(Note 1: Sheet DPS is roughly 200k without Deadly Aim, roughly 220k when Deadly Aim is active).
(Note 2: I get away with no attribute points spent in spirit because of high energy regeneration, energy absorption, and energy leech. So far, I have never run out of energy. I spent 36 attribute points in dexterity in order to get more offensive ability.)
(Note 3: There remain points unspent in the link because I have not completed all the quests related to the additional points yet.)

There are three issues I encountered and would like some opinions on as regards optimization:

(1) I really struggled with acquiring offensive ability while Deadly Aim is on CD. Thus I had to resort to a lot of crafting, burning through valuable resources, in order to fix this. This especially applies to the belt and the medal. (See Grim Tools link for reference.)

(2) I also struggled with CCR, specifically entrapment and slow resistance.

(3) I failed to maximize armor absorption. It currently sits at 84%, which may be fine for the main campaign, but, at least according to my personal experience, will not suffice for the deeper shards of the SR.

All in all, I personally think that I may have to change my devotions, but I am really not sure.

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,

DeadByDefault

Here Deceiver, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator quick one. Can use Vampirris scepter for even more leech.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this link. I see you kept most of my items intact, but completely reworked the devotion points. May I ask the reasoning behind this: Is it just damage output/input and resistance optimization, or is there anything else to it?

Apart from that, I notice that a lot of builds these days seem to be fine with anything between 2.5k to 2.7k DA (as does the build in your link). If I remember correctly, a while ago the consensus was that you need to be as close to 3k DA as possible. Have the monsters’ OA/DA been reworked? I haven’t been able to catch up with all the patch notes yet since I last played over a year ago.

Well, no. Only kept the pants and the rings. Pants
happened to have the stat you need - hp. Rings are BiS on 99% chaos builds.

It’s a game about dealing damage so as long as you’re not dying why not max it. This won’t die anywhere below SR80 unless you’re careless or very unlucky. Also, dmg is actually a defensive stat here as well because of the crazy leech.

Da is just one of very many layers of defense, and it’s just too expensive for what it does. See this, I could have put that 8 points into Word of Renewal and get you 70 da but I put it in the Horn which got you 25% dmg reduction. Now what’s better: being crit like 1-2% less or 25% haircut off all dmg?

Thank you for elaborating.

here is my little exp with voidsoul Deceiver(a version with much cheaper gear/ MIs): Deceiver, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

1. Idk about how you deal with FoI without less than 100 mana rengen per second and/or Scales. So i completely agree to go for scale and full spirit dump to play voidsoul since it use a freaking shield- not an off hand like Black Flame. I did try Dying God + Abomination route, even with the huge damage bonus and -40% skill energy cost, FoI cost is ridiculous and i drain out of mana in less than 10 seconds
  2. Since going for Scales, you need to get at least one of the 2 Dying God or Abomination for Chaos damage. I think DG is better since it has so many great stats (OA, DA) and bonus 3 points in Obelisk, so that i can go for spirit dump without worry about DA (just get enough 1035 physique to wear armor then full spirit dump). Personally i dont comfortably play with builds less than 2k8-2k9 DA. I know players out there can break records with 2k3-2k5 DA builds, but my own experience with those builds is ridiculous bad, got burst out even with a bunch of heroes/ mobs regularly
  3. The gears i used is balance for both offensive and defensive. Conduit and Vampiris give FoI a total 114% WD, so it helps both ADCTH and damage. Conduit has great max res and bonus mana regen, Other choices are obvious.
  4. the thing i hate about this build is it’s way to piano to play for a channel skill build (similar to Black Flame Deceiver). You have to cast WoP/ Horn for dam reduction/ Seal/ SolaelFlames for more RR/ keep BoD and WoR uptime/ and then you can channel FoI. So personally i think this kind of concept is not healthy for new players/ or old players like myself. I left this build long ago before this. Hope this help :slight_smile:
1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts.

(1) Using a shield instead of a caster off-hand does not really bother me. Using a caster off-hand certainly has its obvious advantageous, but there are other possible caster builds using a shield instead of a caster off-hand. My devotion setup basically represents my experimenting with this, but the damage blocked and the chance to block are simply not high enough so as to make a real difference. It would only make sense if we had a few more devotion points.
As I noted above, I never run out of energy on my build. I was surprised myself, but it works. And the armour value is also off the charts for a caster.

(2) My build has roughly 3k DA because that is what I always used to aim for. Then again, my DE spellbinder (full Uroboruuk set, Mythical Wrath of the Ascendant, 2 x Screams of the Aether, etc.) can farm SR 65/66 reliably without dying, SR 70/71 are possible, but runs are slower, while he has only 2558 DA (and that is with 2 x Purified Salt). My latest experiences amount rather to the fact that having low CC resistances is far more of an issue, especially freeze and slow resistance.

(3) I did not have a Vampirris when I created the build. I started from scratch a while ago, so it took me some time to refarm everything (which, again, was only possible as I could not work because I could not talk to anyone owing to my severe laryngitis). I am probably going to take in both your and ya1’s suggestions in order to rework my build after the holidays.

(4) I do not mind these facts. I am not a new player by any means, by the way, in case I left that impression with you. I started playing in 2013 during Early Access. Due to real life issues and work, I was unable to play for quite a while, probably over a year, and on top of that, I lost my saves. I am just a bit rusty because I cannot recall all aspects of optimization, but I think I am getting back into it.
And yes, your remarks definitely are of help. So, thank you again!