[1.1.9.8] Horrific multiplayer lag, but only for a specific player

Hello. I recently bought this game together with two friends - let’s call them Will and Tom. We wanted to play the game in co-op, and after some initial hiccups managed to get connected. However, a couple minutes in, Will began to suffer from horrendous latency issues, rendering the game all but unplayable as enemies were standing still and teleporting around every 10 seconds.

From several hours of troubleshooting and googling, I’m aware this is a problem that’s been reported before on different forums. Most of these posts, however, were from at least 2 years ago, and described slightly different situations. I was wondering if any new discoveries had been made in the meantime.

The situation:
When I host the game, Tom can play without any issues, while Will’s lag is insuffrable. This is regardless of whether both have joined, only one has joined, and which order they join in.
Mine and Will’s internet connections are excellent, and we live in the same region. Tom’s internet is slower and he lives on a different continent, yet he has no issues.
When Will hosts the game, he has no issues. However, I and Tom both end up with the insuffrable lag.

Things we’ve tried from suggestions:
Turning UPnP on and off again and raising the networkMTU value in the options.txt file.
Restarting everything.
Running the game in both default and 64-bit mode.
Lowering our graphics settings.
Using VPNs.
Configuring our firewalls.

One thing we can’t do is port forwarding, as neither I nor Will have access to our routers. I truly hope that’s not the issue.

Any ideas?

Trying a VPN like Hamachi or Radmin won’t hurt. Then you have to host and join the game under LAN, not Internet.

Hey, thanks for the reply. We tried Hamachi and got the LAN hosting to work - with the same result. The idea seemed promising, but the lag remained the exact same for Will when I was hosting, or me when he was hosting.

I should also add that Will now tried using two different networks to connect (his regular ethernet and a wi-fi) and both had the same result, so it’s less likely to be router-related. The only common denominator remaining is his PC, which seems strange since, as mentioned, the game runs fine for him in single player or while hosting himself.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.