[1.2.0.3] 2H Cadence Octavius Death Knight, Callagadra < 3 mins, leveling and end game guide

Hi everyone,

I would like to share my Death Knight (DK) build. DK is good for the first character. I will include here the leveling guide, and also an end game build with Leviathan + Octavius set.

At the beginning, you can safely level up with 2H Forcewave (FW). With Tremor, FW has no cooldown and you can just spam this. The starting item for FW is Shambler’s Heart, which can be easily farmed in Act 1 on the Flooded Passage. Later, after killing the last boss on Act 1 Warden Krieg, you can have the shield Warden’s Fortress from him, and you can start switching to Carden + Forcewave. For early devotion, Assassin’s mark is a must.

Later, in act 3, around Homestead, you can farm important items for leveling. Those are: Fleshwarped Pauldrons (+3 to Cadence) and [Fleshwarped Casque] (Fleshwarped Casque - Items - Grim Dawn Item Database)(+3, - recharge time, and + % weapon damage to War Cry). Later, when you have high aether resist, you can go into Port Valbury. There, you can farm Aetherwarp Cleaver, which gives a massive buff to Cadence. Other parts of gears are optional, you can try to balance between resist and damage, but personally, I put resist in a higher priority simply because if I die, I can’t deal any damage.

For devotion at mid game, try to get Dire Bear. The armor reduction from Maul (Dire Bear) is huge and you can benefit from it with flat physical damage from multiple sources. For later devotions, try to get Ulzaad and then Solemn Watcher, Obelisk of Menhir and finally Ishtak, the Spring Maiden. Nature’s Guardian gives 25% damage reduction at level 15/15 and that’s huge. For green items, you can always come back to Hidden Laboratory and Homestead and farm as you level up, till level 100.

Here is my first version DK build (< 4 mins Callagadra).
Here is my second version DK build (< 3 mins Callagadra - change augments for armors, rings and put more points into Bone Harvest).

Note that we use Gladiator’s Distinction for 100% vitality to physical damage conversion to convert vitality damage from Bone Harvest skill tree and Reaping Strike. The build is quite tanky, with 3k DA, 3.4k armor and 58% physical resist. I include here some pics about stats, damage and Callagadra kill within 3 mins.

Damage with Ulzaad + Soul Harvest + Deadly Momentum

Physical and cc resist
dk_stats3

Callagadra fight: The first half is fine if you can dodge her sunder. For the second half, just remember don’t overstay. Evade and run when you are at low hp while healing is on cooldown.

Thanks for reading. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

2 Likes

The damage converted to physical is no longer ignore/bypass armor. That change was way too long before, but i dont know which version of the game you are playing right now or why you dont know about it. Leviathan DK is a very old concept (the weapon was designed for DK anyway), people played it since begining of FG. But i admit this is the 1st time that a see someone play Leviathan combo with Octavious and not 3 pieces Warborn (especially since Warborn was re-designed to support for Necromancer). And only 5s/7.5s uptime Warcry (without Warborn) is bad both offensively and defensively wise. I doubt that Octavius is stronger than Warborn now (only that 3 pcs Octa got more physic res) but with the result you had, clearly it work somehow. Dont know about the weird devo route either, since i dont play Ishtak without pet. But yeah, i know that you exchange damage for more tankiness, just a matter of different playstyles. Levi Dk got much more damage if build more agressive route.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment. I haven’t played for more than 1.5 year, just came back recently, and I didn’t really update the game mechanics. Edited the converted physical damage part. You are right that Warborn gives more damage. The reason I choose Octavius because of the extra 12% physical resists. I tried several devotion set up, for example more agressive with Azrakaa or Vire but find them very hard against Calla. Do you have suggestion for other devotion set up?

Updated, Callagadra kill time is now < 3 mins.