[1.2.1.2] Big WendiBro and the Deathly Healers - Cr 170, SR 80

GrimTools: Conjurer, Level 100 (GD 1.2.1.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Who wakes up wanting to weaponize their healing totems? Surely I’m not the only one???

My understanding of totems and similar pseudo pets is that if you assign a Celestial Power to it, the power is affected by all of the things that affect the pseudo pet - damage conversions and so on. So I figured that would apply to the 2.2x damage that the Spectral Warmaul gives to the wendigo totem. :smiley:

The result is a fun, high damage melee / close range AOE vitality build with a tonne of healing, although still squishy if caught offguard. Here it is in action.

Crucible 150-170 (~5:20)

SR 80 (~5:00)

Key Features

Wendigo Totem Damage

• The build has 2x powerful wendigo totems, dealing up to ~290k damage per second each (~580k combined), and with up to ~100k vitality decay DoT each.

• 100% elemental damage converted to vitality, 75% chaos damage converted to vitality.

• Flame Torrent on the wendigo totems can crit for up to ~185k damage per projectile, and with up to 82k Vitality Decay DoT

• The Decay damage from Flame Torrent and Wendigo Totem stacks per totem, with teach totem potentially doing ~182k damage, for a total of ~364k DoT damage per second.

Wendigo Totem healing

• ~7,500 healing per second

Each totem heals for 13% + 1350 hp. As the build has 6% healing effects increase and ~17k hp, that becomes roughly 7,500 healing per second for this build if both totems are up, you’re within range of the totem, and the totem is within range of an enemy. (Note: Wendigo totems do not heal if there is no enemy within its presence).

Reaping Arc ( Uroboruuk’s Reaping relic )

The use of the Reaping Arc relic means I still get a powerful ‘default attack’, but without having to invest any skillpoints. With high weapon damage of the build, it works out nicely. I had considered using Oblivion for a ranged attack, which would provide better fumble/impaired aim for the build. But, as you need to be in melee range for the wendigo totems to heal properly and they have a short distance casting range, I figured it made sense to lean into a melee build.

Between the wide arcing Reaping Arc (max 6 targets) and the two Flame Torrenting Wendigo Totems, this makes for an amazing melee-ish ranged AOE death field for anything that enters.

Things to Note

Squishi

• Build is susceptible to spike damage

The build has incredible healing, but very low armour, average phys resistances, low damage reduction to enemies and only intermittent damage absorption. It has decent HP and incredible healing. What this means is that the build takes big damage quickly, but also recovers incredibly quickly. It means that the build is susceptible to spike damage from shotgun attacks (Mad Queen, Zantarin, Valdaran).

Other Considerations

Consideration of Other Celestial Powers

• Flame Torrent was chosen because of its low cooldown, good damage conversions, multiple projectiles per cast, converted DoT damage and high chance to proc

I tried a range of other celestial powers to experiment with different damages and so on. The main consideration is powers with low cooldown, so that both of the wendigos could be proccing them simultaneously, or in a way that could stack and effectively double the dot damage or something.

Click Full list of Celestial Powers Considerations

Ones that I tried:

• Wendigo’s Mark: Not bad because it has 0 cooldown, and can be applied to many enemies. The overall damage output is low, and I don’t believe that the player benefits from the healing received, because it is cast from the Wendigo Totem

• Twin Fangs: Not bad damage per target, short cooldown, it gave the Wendigo Totems a ranged attack that could pierce through enemies if triggered, and yet it felt… inconsequential, especially as it would typically only hit one or two enemies per cast.

• Blizzard: Low cooldown, big AOE spike damage seemed appealing, but for many fights the Blizzard would come down on enemies not near the wendigo totems (ie not the ones I’m currently fighting / not the ones with the RR debuffs on them), or by the time it triggered and the shards started to fall, the enemies would be dead so the shards hit nothing. Or I’d be fighting smaller targets where the overall damage of the blizzard becomes limited.

• Fissure: Honestly, not bad DPS once they start going, but the 1.8s cooldown meant that it took a bit of time before you could stack them up, and again, mainly good against larger targets who can be hit by multiple projectiles

Ones that I haven’t tried but were considering:

• Hand of Ultos: Much wider AOE damage for the totem,including a good amount of dot damage, but the cooldown is a little slow.

• Reckless Tempest: Hard to get with the current devotion configuration, and would only have one being cast at a time. But it would add an awesome constant AOE damage for the totems to speed up trash fights and crucible

• Maul: 0 cooldown, amazing, but only ~70% physical damage converted to vitality. It is also had to get with the current devotion configuration, although if done well and with good RNG on the trigger chance, that added damage per wendigo totem could add some really nice close-AOE spike damage.

Enjoy!

8 Likes

What now ?
Hold on… WHAT ?! :no_mouth:

Does is only apply to pets and pseudo-pets ?
Or does “total damage modified by” apply to all devotions ? (Like, would it work with … shadow strike?)

Fantastic build idea BTW :slight_smile:

1 Like

it’s incorrect, it’s true pets that apply their own modifiers to celestial powers
player scaled pets apply nothing; they still just use your own stats, also for conversion, ie requires global conversion

1 Like

Oh, that’s a bummer…

on the upside, they do apply weapon dmg/your weapon dmg tho :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Have you tried is as a ritualist ?

Same -RR, more health, your weapon already boosts Siphon soul, your relic and set already increases your level by 1 each. You could just replace the amulet for a Death-watcher pendant and play the rest as-is :slight_smile: You even get an exclusive skill that boosts vitality damage.

Here: Ritualist, Level 100 (GD 1.2.1.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
I didn’t even change anything else, and used 2 non-rare affixes… and kinda placed the skill points where I thought they would sorta make sense… just to give you an idea :slight_smile:

Just use some tanky devo, here’s some from one of my builds

+Rattosh that’s not in the picture

2 Likes

%cdr-less weapon choice aside I really can’t understand how 35% crit damage on Stormcaller’s Pact is preferred here to %Vitality damage and absorb from Possession. It’s nice to do something outside of the box sometimes but meme builds can also be correctly optimized.

3 Likes

I guess WyreZ really likes critical bonuses, by also assuming it from devotion choice picks… I mean it’s not the worst but that could definitely be a better choice since al that flat get converted almost plus absorb.

I was experimenting with the that two hander before with dark one set and it was ok-ish, also did pick either harbinger of Souls or Possession but never tho going Stormcaller if I ever though going this idea route.

1 Like

:open_mouth:

So… if I was to add, for example, Blind Fury to a wendigo totem, when it procs from the wendigo totem, it’d deal 75% of my character’s weapon damage (not the weapon damage of the totem)?

I do like the big numbers :smiley:

Tbh I didn’t give it much thought, I just wanted “more damage” and “more crit”. As a snap judgment, I didn’t think that +100% vitality damage to the wendigo totems would have a huge effect compared to the 35% of crit damage (and I was mainly exploring wendigo totem damage, so the added flat converted chaos wasn’t a consideration at the time). But now that I’m giving it more thought, the build probably doesn’t have high enough OA to make the crit damage outweigh the constant +100% vitality damage benefit. And of course, the damage absorption makes the build considerably tankier which is always nice. Possession is usually my go to; it’s the obvious choice. But, I do like to explore beyond the obvious choices… Just in case something cool happens. :smiley: As it happens I didn’t expect this build to do as well as it does, but here we are.

4 Likes

Ooh! I do like the exploration, but I feel that losing the physical resistance, constant crit damage uptime of Second Rite vs Call of the Grave and losing a whole bunch of OA might make for an overall less effective build, even though you do get a touch more vitality RR which is always nice.

1 Like

Yeah, but don’t forget that I tweaked precisely 0% of the build… I just changed the amulet, so a lot of these shortcomings can be washed out with proper care. (I also inadvertently removed the components and augments to the amulet when I changed it)…

So here’s a new (Still completely unoptimised) link: Ritualist, Level 100 (GD 1.2.1.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator The only changes were: I spent the last 8 skill points I left out last time, added back the missing components to the amulet, and gave it a proper rare affix.

It still has less crit damage and lower OA (not as much less this time though) … but has nearly 5k more health, which should be enough to compensate for the lower physical resist, as well as 400% more vitality damage, and 15% more vitality -RR.

Not saying this is perfect (or even better for that matter) but there is something there to explore I’m sure :slight_smile:

yes, (if you dualwield it will even add both tho it claims devos are MH only)
pseudo pets don’t have weapon dmg of their own, so they use player’s for devos/devs did something to transfer player WD on devo procs done by player scaled pets, as the only instance of the game where it occurs afaik

4 Likes

If you want more OA/crit :grimacing: Almost 3500OA, did lose ~50 DA though (and probably some resists from the crane) :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought the player did for player scaled pets? If not I’ve to adjust my build I was fiddling with yesterday.

1 Like