[1.2.1.2] Unconventional Chaos Upheaval, Chaos Savagery Harbinger

Introduction

Hello everyone, today, I’m excited to share one of my unconventional GD builds with you. These builds are often labeled as weird, bad, unoptimized, or unusual by others, but I have a deep appreciation for them nonetheless. Not every character needs to be an overpowered pet Conjurer or physical Warlord. I enjoy experimenting with different builds and classes to see what unique outcomes I can achieve. If you consider that you can improve the build then you can recreate it and modify it as much as you want, please refrain from spamming "OP, your character is sh$t, you should have done this and that… " etc.

Build Pros & Cons

Pros:

• High Single Target DPS
  • Decent HP pool
  • Good Life Leech (32%)
  • Very High OA
    (NOTE: i chose items and relics with upper OA bonuses, my Solael’s Decimation has +6% OA etc. as result in game i have 3950 OA)
  • High DA

Cons:

• Struggles vs Hoards of monsters
    (NOTE: This surprised me as Upheaval has nice AOE and it triggers often 50%-60% chance vs normal enemies and ~30%-40% vs Nemesis and Celestials and still it struggles to clear small rabble)
  • 0% petrification resistance
  • 0% reflect resistance (you can one-shot yourself if you Doom Bolt a Reflective enemy with an active mirror)

Why it’s unconventional?

Usually in order to obtain a powerful build you need high amounts of resistance reduction, the game features many enemies with high amounts of resistances to all damage types. Generally speaking combining two classes which has resistance reduction to one damage type usually performs very well. The Conjurer lacks resistance reduction to Chaos, the Occultist has high Flat Chaos bonuses from Solael’s Witchfire and Possession but just like the Shaman lacks any RR.

I was always intrigued by Upheaval skill, a Technique which triggers only when landing a Critical Hit, the higher OA the higher Trigger chance. My gaze stopped at the Conduit of Wild Whisperers which bolsters both Savagery and Upheaval and turns its damage to Chaos. Upheaval triggers only with two-handed so my choices are limited.

I began tinkering and while theory-crafting i have noticed that the game lacks two-handed High level chaos weapons, initially i planned to use the Juggernaut, it has nice Flat damage and also has CC resistance linked to the Curse of Frailty but it has a major flaw - it doesn’t have Attack Speed bonuses. I have notice that the best weapon would be the Harbinger of Eternal Suffering, the set fits perfectly, the weapon has high attack speed, high flat damage (thanks to the set bonuses), high Health bonuses and more.

I have tried to increase the level of Savagery and Upheaval but the game has so very few items which has + to Savagery skill bonuses, i could use the Elite Malmouth Tainted Vestments but the item lacks physical resistance and OA so the idea of using it was discarded, just like the Mythical Crimson Heart.

Grimtools Link

YouTube

Kaisan → Morgoneth → Lokarr → Cubacabra → Clones → Mogdrogen → Ravager → Callagadra

The build has surprised me with it’s performance, its mostly thanks to the Harbinger Set (best set in the game btw), it feels like the whole build hangs on this set and the Conduit and Savagery and just there as fillers xD.

6 Likes

Can I ask why no feral hunger? Would that help with clearing groups? (It has 100% passthrough)

There is no need for it, I already have a 100% chance to trigger a technique, the Upheaval, i have heard from Rekt that multiple techniques would reduce the chance of Upheaval from triggering, i was thinking about using the Seal of the Void and Mythical Shadowflame Mantle but the idea was discarded.

1 Like

Ok, I didn’t know other techniques would prevent upheaval from triggering. Thanks for the explanation!

Love me some Upheaval builds.Could push it further by picking up Abom devo. Revenant is unecessary since you get your flat rr from Doom Bolt.

3 Likes

Abom might be a bit hard to get to though. :thinking: Korvaak is easier (and has a nice crit proc), but either way you’ll miss out on attack speed I think. :frowning:

Splendid idea, after double-checking the constellations i indeed can change them a bit, i can not only remove Revenant but the Chariot and Throne as well, I have maxed slow resistance and the only thing i lose is a bit of stun resistance. I have rethink-ed the Constellations now i have more OA, more Chaos damage, slightly less Life Leech but thanks to more Damage output i do not even notice the difference. I could test the build further in Crucible and SR but maybe another time.
EDIT: Kept Throne

2 Likes

Wraith fits nicely to fulfill Hydra purple requirement, I think you can reach get the last Dying God node with it.