[1.3.0.8] Dr. Doombolt - Crossbow Chaos Mystic - HC Ascendant - SR31 - Lokarr/Dread/Mogdrogen x 2/Nerf!/Crate/Calla/Ravager/Uber Nerf!

After wrapping up my Rimethorn Defender Theory Craft I wanted to finally move on to the next item in my to-do list, which is doing something with Onslaught, had a few items burning a hole in my stash, and decided to roll this Crossbow Mystic.

Accomplishments:

SR31 Complete
Lokarr - HC Ascendant
The Dread - HC Ascendant
Mogdrogen - HC Ascendant
Mogdrogen FoA version - HC Ascendant
Nerf - HC Ascendant
Crate - HC Ascendant
Calla - HC Ascendant
Uber Nerf - HC Ascendant
Ravager of Minds - HC Ascendant

New:
Grimtools fixed: Mystic, Level 100 (GD 1.3.0.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Old Links

Grimtools: Mystic, Level 100 (GD 1.3.0.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (forgot an augment)

Old:
Grimtools: Mystic, Level 100 (GD 1.3.0.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

All of the greens are either able to be crafted, or are target farmable, and don’t need to be double rare to perform.

None of the Ascended Affixes are necessary for this build either. I didn’t add those to the build until the end after most of the content was completed… that’s just some icing on top of the cake to give you more freedom with how to move some stuff around.

I used my Rimethorn Defender to farm out all of the green pieces w/ at least one affix I needed and then used the new reroll mechanic to craft the 2nd affixes. Before you get to that point the build functions perfectly fine though, albeit with slightly lower DPS.

I play strictly on HC, so there are some choices made for survivability that could be altered if you play SC and want more DPS… but man, DPS is not where this bad boy is lacking!

Dr Doombolt DPS2

Yes, that is a 5.3 million crit hit that was recorded while doing SR31.

The AoE on this build isn’t the best, it chews through mobs fast enough that it doesn’t feel bad taking on large crowds though, and it really shines with single target damage. Line up all the debffs, stack onslaught, and drop the hammer.

I’ll update this post/thread if I make any more changes to the build, but I consider it pretty close to finished at this point.

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do my best to answer!

9 Likes

Nice build! I was working on a build similar to this by going dual wield as the Bloodsworn Repeater adds chaos damage to doom bolt while also converting Doom bolt to pure chaos. I think they also give Bonechilling Cry more chaos RR. I’m still working through leveling and it hits pretty hard. If i switch to my voidsoul set, it should have tons of healing at max level along with doom bolt having a massive radius. Thanks for sharing man. Onslaught multiplier definitely helps the skill hit like a truck. Nice work!

1 Like

That’s an interesting take on the class and style for sure.

I thought about the Voidsoul set, but I have an AoM toon I made with that armor, so I wanted to try something different, and I’ve never used the Harbinger set before so that was the starting point for the gearing.

Going DW with the Bloodsworns might be a higher cap in the end though… I’ll probably dig those pieces out of my Item Assistant and give it a trial run.

Dread and Lokarr down on HC Ascendant.

Super easy fights on both of em. The ability to set up the nuke rotation while kiting out of range of attacks is fantastic.

I’m sure there are a number of ways to build a doombolt nuke with the new onslaught mechanic having different pros/cons, but this version with the 2h Crossbow is a solid one so far.

1 Like

Mog down on HC Ascendant.

Kited out of his sunder AoE and smoked em with mega-bolts.

1 Like

Cool build, just getting into it. The one thing that is absolutely terrifying is how low the HP pool is, there are so many 1 hit possibilities now. I’m sitting at 4K HP at level 40. Any suggestions?

@nauds

Yeah the HP is on the low side for me, especially in HC, that’s why I pumped so many %HP Augments and put most attribute points into physique.

You definitely need to be a little careful early on, but once you can equip the non mythic versions of the items things really start to take off.

During leveling I prioritized survivability for gearing, and made sure to not stand in dots or get hit by anything that was avoidable.

Nerf down on HC Ascendant!

This was a surprisingly easy fight with this build. I was able to take him down in ~4 puddles, took maybe a dozen-ish (I wasn’t strictly counting) doom bolts total and he was smashed.

Dr. Doombolt is quickly becoming one of my new favorites for a variety of reasons!

1 Like

FoA Mog down on HC Ascendant.

This fight was a little more difficult than Nerf for this build, and couldn’t face tank it quite like the Rimethorn Defender could, but down he went anyways.

I had to kite out of his AoE and Telegraphed abilites. I also used a lightning resistance pot for safety.

The Dash attack he does as a Wolf hit pretty hard a few times, so that’s something to watch out for too, but other than that, so long as you stay mobile, he’s not bad.

1 Like

Crate Down

Pretty easy fight for this build.

Start the encounter and bait out his first attack, then kite back and around out to the start as you stack and smack em.

He was dead before he got too far out of the gate.

2 Likes

Calla down on HC Ascendant.

This was a fiddly fight… I never felt in much danger, but I needed to constantly kite around the area to stay out of the dots and big hits with the mediocre HP pool.

That slowed the kill down a bit, but it was a smooth fight.

2 Likes

Looks good! Is there a leveling guide btw? New to the game so yeah…

@Returned

Good on ya for grabbing GD man!

I’m not much for making leveling guides, but I can give some tips/ideas for sure.

I’m a bit of a masochist at times with builds in that I like to level as the skill/style/archetype as early as possible as opposed to taking the most optimal path for speed/ease.

That being said, if you follow an Occultist or Berserker general leveling guide, and then made the switch later on, that would serve you fine.

Some tips/ideas beyond that:

  • Take your time, there’s no reason to rush through content, playing safe and smart goes a long way to getting things done
  • This is maybe not the best 1st character due to the legendary items not being target farmable, and being pretty core to how it performs. That being said, you can sub in other Chaos Damage pieces and just go for it, that’s what’s great about ARPGs.
  • Though the Harbinger Set does a lot of work in this build, the onslaught + doom bolt mechanic works as a standalone pairing, so you can lean into it when you want to give it a go
  • Jackal is a great first Devotion
  • If you go Chaos Damage early you’ll want to unlock Solael’s Witchblade for Eldritch Fire as soon as you can. That debuff does a lot of work.
  • There’s a level 75 version of the Harbinger set you can switch to early if you find/have it
  • The legs are target farmable
  • The amulet is target farmable (but you need the rep for it, and be ready for a big bad baddie)
  • The shoulders can be farmed in the right areas of AoM
  • The weaver band is target farmable
  • The Medal + Boots are both craftable

I started the Character as a ranged Berserker, and used the WPS triggers to help fill out damage. Once I had some levels, and enough skill points, I took Covenant of Ch’thon to switch to Chaos damage and also started putting points into Occultist to get Vulnerability.

Go that route once you’re at 3 key points:

  • Chaos Conversion
  • Vulnerability
  • Eldritch Fire

Then you can start cruising with the general “style” of the toon.

Focus survivability on gearing as you’re leveling, you’ll be low on HP and defense for a little while until you can really start filling some stuff out.

Anyhow, I hope that helps point you in the right direction!

Ask away on anything that pops along the way, I’ll be playing this character for a little while longer before I move onto my next idea!

2 Likes

Uber Nerf down on HC Ascendant!

This fight was pretty straight forward… with a couple of caveats.

  • I used a brawlers distinction to nerf (hehe) his healing
  • I also used an Elixir of the Void and a Royal Jelly for safety (I don’t think that either were needed, but I wasn’t willing to lose this toon just yet)
  • It took longer than the normal version due to the massively increased HP pool

Other than that, nothing scary, just don’t get one shot!

3 Likes

thanks for the tips, i’ll look for a berserker leveling guide then. i actually have a reaper as my main so i could use that to farm some of the gear for this, probably just min max that toon a little more first.

1 Like

All good but just one question.Why no wps? from seal of the void and avalanche ? They are pretty good aoe clears.

@Veno

Easy answer, but it’s a bit of an opinion option, no harm choosing different.

Avalanche for three reasons

  • the proc goes from your toon only a fixed distance
  • the animation
  • points

I used Avalanche while leveling, but I really didn’t like how the animation felt while sticking and moving around. It also is semi-short range, which is fine when in a crowd. But lastly I felt the point was more valuable elsewhere.

Seal of the Void is kind of dealers choice here.

I did use it for a bit, but I didn’t feel I needed it for clearing crowds, and the extra 10% chaos shred from Symbol of Solael felt better when doing bosses.

I can definitely see going back to seal of the void now that I’ve done all the celestials if I keep using this toon as a farmer, especially in SR.

Either way though you could definitely add em in.

Can you add some gameplay video. Thanks.

@pinball

Sorry man, recording really isn’t my thing.

Is there something specific you were looking for, or just wanted to see it in action?

Very interesting build! The most surprising thing about it is the health pool (19,5K).

Some quick questions:

  1. Pierce resist is only +2% overcap, that’s not enough, I am afraid, have you encountered any trouble because of that?
  2. The Petrify Resist and Reflect Resist is 0%, doesn’t those 0% make any troubles?
  3. I suppose you use Onslaught for “charge up” and you “consume it” through Doom Bolt, right?
  4. Do the green items have any blue / purple replacements, as good as the greens? (You take them because of the resistances, or because they provide health?)