2016 Build a PC

EDIT:
As recommended I waited, and now I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on this:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63156
$1,500 CAD (don’t be too shocked, prices and our dollar suck a little up here)

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad Core Processor
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H-GSM Motherboard
Graphics MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC Video Card
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2133 (2x 8GB)
Hard Drive SanDisk 240GB Ultra II SSD,
Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD (7,200rpm) w/ 64MB Cache
Optical Drive 24x DVD+/-RW
Chassis EFS052 Mini Tower Chassis
Power Supply Power Man 500W Power Supply
Operating System Windows® 10 Home, 64bit
Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour Warranty

It’s one of their “in house” builds, so upgrades/substitutions are possible.
When I googled around for possible upgrades I read up on 1070, i7, and Z170 motherboards, and it sounds like they are all overkill for what I’m doing.

I think it’s time to get a new PC, maybe building one myself.

What’s hard for me to find info on is just how much, or little I need for my use.

I don’t think I’ll be playing anything more intense than GD/PoE (unless Lineage Eternal or Lost Ark are ever released).
I only use my 55" 1080P 240hz TV as a display, but I think I read HDMI is only 60 hz so only 60FPS max anyways?

So my question is which of the new video cards that just came out is enough for 60FPS all the time? I don’t need 4k, VR, or multiple displays.

Thanks for any help!

240hz HDMI cables exist. They’ll cost you around $25 though.

You need to put your budget & current PC specs

I would wait for for the nvidia gtx 1060 and see how it performs against the Ati radeon 480. The new videocards perform much better than the older ones and are a lot cheaper.

I’d recommend an OCZ Trion 150 480GB SSD. I recently upgraded, and it only cost me $110 shipped on newegg. Combine that with a mechanical HDD for internal storage and/or an external HDD. I got a 2tb external HDD for like $80. You can probably get them cheaper now.

For GPU, I’d definitely wait on a 1070 “non-reference” model. If they’re not out already. Non-reference models are better because they often got better quality components like capacitors, and can overclock better, and have better cooling options like Triple fans with a better heat sink if you got a Sapphire Vapor X model, or etc.

More games are starting to use more than 4 CPU threads now, when traditionally there wasn’t much of a reason to get an I7 over an I5 for gaming, the I7 would definitely be better currently for something that’s more future proof. Some games like Witcher 3 will take 8 threads and split the load evenly across all 8, which makes it less likely you run into a CPU bottleneck. Both the new console systems have 8 core CPUs, and that’s why more games are going to be coded to use more threads than in previous years.

Some places like newegg offer combo deals, like buy an I7 and get a decent motherboard with it and you’ll save $50-60 on the combo deal, or etc. $100-$120 usually gets you a decent gaming motherboard that’ll allow you to upgrade a few times in the future.

Don’t cheap out on PSUs. They degrade a little over time, so if you’re unsure, you’re definitely better off getting more than you need rather than getting something that’s borderline. When the borderline PSU degrades, you’ll be left with insufficient power. Gold/Platinum rated PSUs got better power efficiency. A lot of gamers like PSUs that are modular, meaning you can remove some of the cables from the unit and use only as many as you need. This helps keep your case less cluttered and allows airflow to be less obstructed through your case. Also less places for dust to cling onto.

Little bit of cable management goes a long way. Zip ties are OP. Most cases have places inside to loop zip ties through. Less obstruction of airflow, and less places for dust to cling onto, and it just looks better. If you ever need to get in there and work, like to clean the dust out of your case, it’ll be easier to do that as well.

If that is the extent of what you’ll use then stick with an top end I5 for starters. If you got budget left at the end switch up to a good I7 for future proofing.

Balistics is awesome for ram so get 16gb for a measily 75euro from most retailers.

Vidcards. the RX480 from AMD looks awesome, but has some issues at the moment. Best you wait a few weeks to see what driver/fixes will come out. You can switch up to the new 1070/1080 nvidea cards, but their price and performance is way over the top for what you’re planning to play. Right now I wouldn’t even bother with those cards until the prices drop. You can still play all games with a gtx980 perfectly fine…and i bet you still can for at least another year. Which gives you time to safe up coin and wait for new card releases/price drops.

Considering the 10xx series is still nothing more than a “paper” launch, he’s better off going for a rx 480. Atleat he will be able to buy one.

New driver for the 480 is supposed to drop this Tuesday btw.

Sorry, I didn’t think you guys were going to go all in and help me build a whole PC lol, here’s what I know:

AMD FX 8120 8 core 3.1Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 7600 series
16 gb ram
anything else? (might need instructions on how to find other info)

As for budget, I’d be really happy to keep it at $1,000 CAD, but can go to $1,500 if it makes a huge difference in future-proofing-- it’s been a while since I bought, so I’m not sure what’s realistic.

Thank you all for the info, I’m gonna check out Newegg

replace that radeon with the RX480. Patch/driver notes got released today. The actual driver will be released within 2-3 days fixing the issues. Making this THE card to get at this point in time till new ones come out.

for Ram look at the brand Ballistics

what motherboard are you planning to use with all that? to check PCI-E slot and ram frequency support to get the right ones. And of course if it supports the socket your processor needs.

Other than that it looks like you have all you need for your requirements.

My personal experience with AMD has not been very good. I find the price difference does not offset what you may lose in reliability or performance. AMD chips tend to perform a little worse than Intel’s on most game benchmarks. Every person will have an opinion on this, but if it was me (built 4 computers for myself now) its Intel/Nvidia all the way.

Grab a new Skylake i5 and for graphics I would actually wait a little while until the 10xx series are available to buy. The extra performance with the 10xx series is too hard to pass up.

I just remember having issues upon issues with AMD graphics drivers, and the CPU didn’t perform how I expected.

My Current Rig:
Intel 5820k
16gb Ram
480 SSD
1 TB Hard Drive
EVGA 780GTX

Will get my hands on a 1080GTX when it becomes available. Game runs at a steady 60fps all the time, but I did need to turn down the corpse decay rate as too many tanked the FPS.

the 1060 is coming out in 2 weeks with a decent price. but compared to the rx480 it isn’t worth the wait. the 1070-1080 are to expensive and overpowered for what the OP wants/needs.

for mobo’s…yeah i’d personally prefer an Intel as well. AMD mobo’s aren’t the best.

As recommended I waited, and now I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on this:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63156
$1,500 CAD (don’t be too shocked, prices and our dollar suck a little up here)

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad Core Processor
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H-GSM Motherboard
Graphics MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC Video Card
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2133 (2x 8GB)
Hard Drive SanDisk 240GB Ultra II SSD,
Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD (7,200rpm) w/ 64MB Cache
Optical Drive 24x DVD+/-RW
Chassis EFS052 Mini Tower Chassis
Power Supply Power Man 500W Power Supply
Operating System Windows® 10 Home, 64bit
Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour Warranty

It’s one of their “in house” builds, so upgrades/substitutions are possible.
When I googled around for possible upgrades I read up on 1070, i7, and Z170 motherboards, and it sounds like they are all overkill for what I’m doing.