A bunch of noob questions

alright. so i started playing a few months ago and i’m really enjoying myself so far. community seems pretty decent, some trading stuff which is cool, all in all seems like a good deal. then there are some questions which are obvious to you vets but i’m left scratching my head here. so here goes and thanks beforehand:

1. if there is something that converts 30% ele to aether, i’m guessing its 10/10/10 of each element?
  2. can expansion legendaries drop anywhere or only in the expansion areas?
  3. what is the minimum OA/ DA a build can have?
  4. for the -15% and -15 resistance RR values, is one used before the other if you have less then 100% of normal RR? so if i have 80% from skills and items does one or the other get used first. also i read somewhere that the -15% RR scales horribly past 100% RR, how does the -15 resistance scale?
  5. a question about trading. can someone give me a ballpark value for good greens, blues, and purples? for greens how much are 3 stat items and beyond worth?
  6. curious about items in general. what is the upper limit for stats? i’ve gotten 111% lightning resist, 137 DA i think it was, 33% casting speed on a one hander. the numbers keep going up lol.
  7. mmk, finally another conversion question. i’ve tried figuring this out for myself by reading up, but there is too much going on lol. here is the build:
    https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2E6b77V
    i have 100% fire>lightning via items, but what the heck is happening to devastation and is it worth it to use it with less then 100% conversion? i’m using time dilation devotion and everything, although i do have 2 other skills maxed out so if devastation isn’t 100% maybe i can get away with it. idk. help is appreciated.

i guess i’ll update this if i have anymore questions and peeps are willing to answer. if you are also a noob speak up and ask. again thanks for the help. keep on grindin folks.

I’m not the minister of information but I can try to respond your questions;

As far as I know it’s %30 for each elemental types converted to aether.

Not sure about this.

You mean should have? otherwise it’s kinda obvious, it can be as when you start the game at level 1. If you mean should have, then for end game, there are builds that can do great things with 2600ish OA and DA, but my opinion on this matter is keep both atleast 2900 without sacrificing too much. I’m not sure the rate in Shattered Realm and Crucible but in Main Campaign, to have %20 solid crit chance againts nemesis you need to have 3100+ OA with some defensive ability reduction and to not being crit hit by nemesis you need to have 2800+ DA if they have no defensive ability reduction. I tested for all and these are the avarege numbers.

The first applied RR is -x% resistances, then x% reduced and the last is x reduced. As far as I know the first one get go up to negative values, let’s say the enemy has %50 lightning resistance and you have -%70 lightning resistance reduce, monster now has -%20 resistance. The second one can not go below negative and as your -x% RR increases, % reduced’s effect will diminish because it’s a division not a reduce from total value. For the last one I’m not sure about this but it also diminish the enemies’ resistances to negative. The first one can be stack additively, if you have two different -x% RR then the numbers will be added. The second and the third one can not be stack with their kind, only the highest value be applied. So best way is have atleast one of the first kind and one for each second and third kind of RR.

It’s all between you and the buyer, and for the greens and blues(blues drop a lot) they are mostly useless except monster infrequents and if you got a good rolled one, they mostly better than some legendaries but most people do not know they can use that particular MI before seeing it and they can be farmed aswell, so you need to show and say hi I have this MI, any interests you don’t need to farm ten hours? lol

There are some limits but epic and legendaries, you can check them in grimtools but for the MI’s there can be insane numbers once in a while but they also have static stats they give without suffix or prefix so some stats have minimum and maximum limits too.

When you exceed the %100, the numbers will diminish for each modifier value to be %100 again. So you have %50 aether>fire and %100 aether> lightning; as a result of this rule you get %75 of your aether damage converted to lightning and %25 of aether damage converted to fire on devastation.

2 Likes

thanks man. two thumbs way up ^^

1. what should i do with lvl 50 legendaries? salvage em like i do blues?
  2. how does damage absorption work, does it stack? so can i cast 3 inquisitor seals and have them all stacking? what if i don’t get hit for a few seconds, when does the absorption disappear? do multiple absorption skills stack? so many questions lol.
  3. can i stack the same RR debuff on an enemy? for example two of the same rings with -10% chaos.

They can be useful when leveling so, if you decided what’s the next build you’ll do, stash the items that you might use them while leveling with that character, as for the rest, you can dismantle unnecessary legendaries to get rare materials aswell but you’ll need lots of dynamites, and to craft dynamites lots of aether shards and to craft aether shards lots of aether crystals :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anywhere.

% damage absorption stacks multiplicatively. Flat damage absorption stacks additively but not from the same source. So Seal won’t stack with multiple active, but will stack with stuff like Blast Shield or Stone Form devotion proc.

The RR won’t stack since they are the same source according to the game, but damage in them will stack.

1 Like
  1. can a shield block DoTs?
  2. can DoT retal affect ranged? swear i saw this but i’m not sure.
  3. just to be clear, with damage absorption it means that (for example i have blast shield with 300) every bit of damage gets reduced by 300 first? can DoTs be affected?

No, shields can only block single amount of damage at a time.

No retaliation damage can affect range hitter.

Yes, for it’s duration.

1 Like

I don’t agree with this. Sure RR has some diminishing returns due to additive nature but it’s still a great boost on every level. It’s just that before that it’s not great but amazing.

I.e. if enemy has 50% resist, then going from 100% to 115% RR gives 10% more damage.

1 Like

It’s not 10/10/10>x either but game engine probably priorities fire againts others.

thank you all.

1. is it worth it to invest in attack/ cast speed for pets? i’m working on a pet vitality build and i’m wondering which way i should go - mogdrogen for the good devotion path or dying god.
  2. do different - OA and DA debuffs stack?

Only if the attack speed specifically says bonus to pets on it, otherwise no point.

1 Like

I never play pet builds so you need to ask someone else

It’s like RR’s, different kinds can stack with each other. The tip here is the explanation of the debuff. -x reduced or x reduced, there is not much -x% reduced DA/OA so don’t worry about it. -x and x reduced can stack, x reduced can’t stack with other x reduced so the highest amount is being applied and two -x can stack.

1 Like
  1. how important is armor absorption? can i get away with 90% on caster/ ranged builds? i’m guessing i’ll need 100% on melee.

let me know when i’m getting annoying lol.

Now this is my opinion only and there will be some arguments over it but armor absorption is a very overrated stat. Especially in early levels and main campaign, yes you need every bit damage reduction in high levels of SR and Crucible and armor is one of the most important stat that reduces your received damage but there are lots of build that can do those level without %100 armor absorption. The most important thing is the armor itself, you need to pick high armor valued gears on almost every slot but chest and legs are really important, then you can get extra armor through other gear stats, devotions, skill etc; the last thing you gonna do is capping your armor absorption and if you have over avarage armor values, you don’t need to sacrifice some other thing to do so. But if your character has low armor value on gear and low physical resistance, you need to cap that.

PS: Armor only reduces physical damage income however most of the big hits also contains lots of physical damage so you need armor along with physical resistance/damage reduction debuff/DA etc

1 Like

I don’t care much for armor absorb pre 90 level, but at maxed level you need to look at your armor first. For me if it’s below 2k, I prefer to raise my armor to as near as possible to 2k and if it still below 2k, then 84-90% is enough as you’re squishy anyway. If my armor is between 2k - 2.5k I get it to 92-100%, more than that is full 100%.

1 Like
  1. anyone know where the save file is lol? both regular and cloud.
    nevermind i found the files.
  2. those stats on weapons/ armor that give actual damage (12-24 physical damage). how important are they to attack and cast builds?

Flat damage is multiplied by % damage. It scales insanely well with big fat % damage. Especially important for auto attack builds, like Fire Strike, Savagery etc and in general skills with big weapon damage like Blade Arc or Forcewave, For skills without weapon damage is useless. For example 12-24 damage will NOT boost your Trozan or Sigils damage.

1 Like
  1. so i was playing this whole time with cloud saves, which i don’t want to do anymore. tried moving those saves into the Steam/ steamapps/ common/ Grim Dawn/ save folder but the game won’t recognize my saves. any ideas? i didn’t do a copy paste with 2 same name folders save/ save.

nvm figured it out. its annoying tho, i used a difficulty unlock thing while i was online but my bags are gone offline (steam).