A how-to on getting loot efficiently on solo play + advice on levelling

I actually like the colour scheme and the Boss isn’t harder than alkamos imo, but that highly depends on the build.

What is absolutely disgusting about BoC though: The amount of unnessessary red crystal gates that take forever to open… This is the biggest annoyance when you want to speedfarm BoC. I understand there should be barriers infront of chestrooms and bossrooms, but there are so many randomly put basically everywhere in BoC…

Teleport in FG :wink:

Hopefully that will work, but I have my doubts. Maybe the system will have the area marked as “locked” until you open the gate, so you can’t actually port as long as the gate is still closed… I hope I’m wrong about that though.

Well I can understand you cant teleport through skeleton key doors, but if you cant teleport past those red things in BoC I will get seriously mad

Do NOT sell greens.

Go to grimtools and lookup the suffixes for them.

Check GT for more information.

How does GT tell me if a green is worth keeping or not?

Go to GT build calculator. Put in the item of interest in its respective slot.

Click on it.

Immediately above the item, you’ll see prefixes and suffixes.

You can filter them by rarity as well.

I think it’s best shown with an example:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/w263Xl8V <— Base solael sect pants

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2mWxr0Z <— GG double rolled pants

It’s also worth noting that many green affixes give +skill points. For example, an ‘of ferocity’ suffix on a weapon gives it physical damage, attack speed, and +2 to savagery.

+4 if it’s a 2H.

Sorry I still dont get it.

Checking your example, in one of the links I see the base item, I get that. In the other one, I see the item with prefixes and afixes. But it’s the same info I would see in the game. How do I know, without major knowledge of the stats, that this version deserves keeping and another one with other prefixes and subfixes doesnt?
OP said to check GT, and I dont see how this helps.

I even use rainbow mod and keep double-rares. But I still sell tons and tons of greens each game, and Im pretty sure im selling some useful stuff. I was curious about OPs hint on using GT to determine if an item is good or not, but in your example I see the same info as ingame.

I think he just means that in GT you can see if affix is magic or rare tier

If you have rainbow mod you already have this information in game

It means that you can go to GT and see the entire list of affixes attached to the item.

If you’re not sure if an item is worth keeping, go look up what the affixes do.

Try to look at this:

Generally speaking - more to the right side of the chart are potentially more powerful items. This chart is not perfect but I’ve created it to visualize itemization in Grim Dawn Better. I hope it will help you a bit with understanding the itemisation :wink:

Still you can get double rare that is utter crap for any build… unfortunately ;( Need to praise to RNJesus :wink: And how to know what is utter crap? Well that comes with exp. Same as in PoE. You can have spell dagger, phys dagger. Same for 2handers, etc. etc.

One of the general rules is: I’ll say that +1 to any skills are almost always better than +%dmg.
But still not true for every item. blah blah blah…

Just play and learn :wink:

Thanks, looks useful :slight_smile:

PoE is much worse in this regards. It was so hard to know what to keep there.

A little tip: if you see ‘Redeemer’ or ‘Preserver,’ which you will 80% of the time, it’s most likely vendor trash.

It’s also possible to get an excellently rolled redeemer/preserver item though.

@portman: That’s awesome. Imma include it in the OP. <3

I never expected the OP to grow in length so quickly nor for people to be this interested in it.

If it’s very useful, perhaps it warrants a sticky in the guides/tutorial section.

I shall leave it to the discretion of the forum - makes no difference one way or another to me.

Would you be able to add a section on powerleveling celestial powers? I’m using a build that has several and would like to know if there are any tricks to get those leveled faster.

They level up by getting exp too.

What malawiglenn said. Same rules apply.

EDIT: I think they need to be bound to a skill and actively used though. They also benefit from exp pots/Lokarr’s set.

Yup. Having them bound to a skill is enough. You do not need to deal damage or use that skill, as long as devo is bound it gets exp.

Yes exp pots and Lokarr set will boost exp gained by devos too.

Afaik you can’t rush past bosses as you have to kill them to progress in the main quest (from the top of my head, apart from side quest bosses such as Archon Barthollem, only Krieg can be skipped entirely, and you can chose to ignore Zaria when she attacks you).
Quests give the most XP, imho most sidequests are worth the effort especially when using XP pots. So if anything, I’d rush past the mobs and ONLY kill bosses and fulfill quests.

But maybe you were talking about heroes? Well I don’t rush past heroes either. It’s not right to let them live :stuck_out_tongue:
Also, not focusing on gear at all doesn’t sound too efficient to me, as you might be under-equipped when facing bosses like Cronley. Unless you know exactly what you’re doing. Which I am not apparently :rolleyes:

I’d like to add, if you’re a relatively new player bounties are a good way to gain some extra XP and ofc reputation which is necessary for certain faction quests. But in order to do this efficiently, you have to know which bounties are worth the effort and which aren’t.
Now with warrants and writs/mandates applied to new characters I rarely do bounties anymore, with the exception of DC bounties that target Cronley’s Gang. DC quartermaster has some nice stuff and Cronley infamy is quite hard to get so any opportunity to farm infamy should be taken.

That’s what I thought for the first 800 hrs or so. I had much fun starting the game over and over with all kinds of different characters. Then one day I got my first build to 100 and it opened my mind. Seeing the fruit of your labor is very rewarding. You should try it some time! Unlike in other games (coughD3cough) hitting max level is not the end of the line, there is so much looting and crafting and fine-tuning it’s worth another 800 hrs of fun at least.

What is OCD? I do that too just for fun, and for that same reason I always destroy the sofas in Karroz’ chambers and Scorv Egdenor’s office :rolleyes:
Scorv never blinks an eye about that, he’s probably just glad that I didn’t kill him and his posse right away :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes you can, in fact that is how I get 5 or 6 devotion points before even getting to the first shrine in the campaign.

1. Create a fresh char and open a crucible game
  2. Grab any items from your shared stash that might help leveling (Lokarr’s set, Gazerman, XP pots, level 1 components)
  3. Optional: Start campaign and grab either Olman’s Axe, Francis’ Gun or any other rares that drop in Lower Crossing. Here’s a list available freebies: Lower Crossing Rares
  4. Start the crucible, survive the first round (10 waves) and cash in, do not continue with the next round
  5. Cashing in will give you 3 tribute tokens which you can spend on 1 devotion point (talk to the NPC with green arrow above their head)
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until a devotion point costs 5 tribute. Now you should have gained quite a few levels and have some decent gear from crucible rewards
  7. Start main campaign, rush to the shrines in Act 1 and kill Warden Krieg with about 12 devotion points which should give you at least two finished constellations :slight_smile: