A newbie asking for advice

Hi all,

Currently at Ugdenbog, normal.
Following http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66518.
Currently my build is: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/JVlkweX2

My problem, especially at the moment:

1. Somehow squishy when facing acid (especially when facing that large flower thingie and star enemies). I feel that my resistance is quite enough.
    Or that a false thought?

My general question / problems:
2. Not really a question, but I really don’t know how to progress with equipment. Especially when I should go for armor or resist. Because I don’t know what hit me most at particular area, so I often confused and just go at maximum damage, a little survivability here and there, with little component.

1. Speaking about component, the lack of component in my equipment because I feel that, compared to augment, component is quite “expensive”. If you put a wrong component, the best repair you could do is either lose the item or lose the component. Is this mindset okay, or actually wrong? (losing component is okay since all of it are actually farmable, for example)

Thank you for giving your advice.

Enough resistances is at least 70%.

You always go for as much armor as possible, resistance and damage. Keep in mind that sometimes you have to get rid of some damage and go for resist. If you can’t complete a full 80% build at lower levels, check what shreds most of your health in particular region and focus on that resistance.
Lifesteal (attack damage converted to health) helps with low defense builds, but doesnn’t help against bosses that much, since they have lifesteal healing reduction.

Components are must have in your gear. Without them you practically can’t cap (or overcap) your resistances. Get only the cheapest ones and go for the expensive ones when you really need to (region dependant). You can always sacrifice the item you plugged the component in and get the component back.

EDIT: Your resistances are non-existent btw. You won’t survive AoM expansion with that.

if you are squishy, the resistance is too low, it’s as simple as that. Your resistance is 30%, that is pretty low and should be relatively easy to fix (components). I’d try to get it to 60% at least

1. Not really a question, but I really don’t know how to progress with equipment. Especially when I should go for armor or resist. Because I don’t know what hit me most at particular area, so I often confused and just go at maximum damage, a little survivability here and there, with little component.

that works early on, but no longer by the area you are in now

Most of your resistances should be in to 50-60 range, the more the better. Depending on the area you ideally have one or two maxed

1. Speaking about component, the lack of component in my equipment because I feel that, compared to augment, component is quite “expensive”. If you put a wrong component, the best repair you could do is either lose the item or lose the component. Is this mindset okay, or actually wrong? (losing component is okay since all of it are actually farmable, for example)

any component that drops easily should not be a concern (pretty much anything up to level 15 should be easy to find and used as needed). You should have spare ones of those by now, you also do not change them around so frequently that it matters and when you replace gear you can recover the old one if you need to / have few spares

1. I managed Ugdenbog with 30% before, but it was purely awareness-based. Usually I try to get 50% for normal. Also some enemies in Ugdenbog hit with bleed, vitality, aether and cold.

2. You should go for armor and resists, not armor or resists. You took my previous advice of always improving the armor value while levelling to the extreme - your chest, head, shoulder and gloves have pretty much useless bonuses. If you’re struggling with drops then check shop - maybe there’s an exact armor piece but with Resistant/Impervious. Or try your luck at crafting.
    Resists can be safely ignored till around level 25-30, but after that it’ll be tough on you. You can have a fair guess what damage type the monster uses, special effects were made in a way to reveal that. It a guess doesn’t help you can check monster database on Grim Tools.

3. If it’s not an end-game component then destroying a component is not a big deal. Usually I just keep items that I find useful for next playthoughs and recover components from trash items I’m unlikely to re-use.
    Not using components is pretty much why you have issues. A single Antivenom Salve in your belt would had pushed your poison resist to 50%. Two Soul Shard or Corpse Dust would had given you at least some vitality resistance. Runestone into head slot, Sanctified Bone into chest slot, Scaled Hide or Silk Swatch goes into shoulder and leg slot, Aether soul or Black tallow goes into amulet and medal, Unholy Inscription into hand slot. There’s a lot you could had done to make your resistances better.

Hi all,

Thank you for all of your reply. I will try to experiment and fix my issues :smiley:

@StupidDragon I don’t expect your reply. Sorry if I’m a slow learner. And thank you for being patient with me T^T.
This game is really hard-but-fun.

Once again, thank you all.

Those plants in Ugdenbog can reduce your resistance, so to be really protected, your acid resistance should be overcapped by 20-30. And yours isnt even capped.

He’s still on normal. :undecided:

Mate you should start to learn crafting (blacksmith) and use components on your gear pieces. Try shopping for better gear pieces, your chest/hand/shoulder pieces are not good.
Here are some suggestions which will fix your char resis:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/JVlkw9l2

Another thing to consider is life regen. Even 150-200 life regenerated per second in Normal is a huge buff. Life steal is also good. You can combine them for an even better result

You can easily cap your resists with some mid tier components and try to get higher armor. Other than that the build is going in the right direction!

Some more tips:

• You can use Slith Venom on your amulet too :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Go to Elite and get the Elite version of the Slith Primal Ring.