A noob lost in high iq building strats much like Ulgrim in the Void. Fooled by the devotion wording

So long story short. I’ve built my pierce tactician devotion path around Time Ditation thinking it affects all the skills (including Menhir’s Will and Prismatic Rage - these two alone, with cooldowns being constantly reduced, would bump my survivability to another level). I’ve based this knowledge on an upvoted reddit comment (what a fool). I’ve tested it on several skills and went with it, without testing specifically passive non-devotion cooldowns. And didnt notice the occasional absense of effects because the ultimate is breezy for the most part.

In my other thread, on another topic, people suggested to pick another path. Now i understand why. Not to say Time Dilation is bad, it’s just not as uberOP as i thought it was. Now pierce dedicated paths seem a little more attractive.

Of course, it was my mistake to think of such an imbalanced thing in an overall balanced game. And i should’ve dug deeper to verify the info. The hype got the best of me. But i have to say, the wording in this game is one of the strongest enemies. English is not my first language, as you might’ve guessed, but i choose to play the original versions specifically to prevent things like this.

“-6 Seconds to All Currently Active Skill Cooldowns”.

Together with a very straightforward lore description, how can one possibly guess that their passive trigger non-devotion skills don’t follow “the laws of time” either? Correct me if i’m wrong, the actual description should sound more like:

“-6 Seconds to All Current Cooldowns of Active and Devotion Skills”.

There is a QoL update on the way. Any chance to sneak in a corrected description? You know, so idiots like me wouldn’t waste hours of planning.

2 Likes

“Bonus to all Pets” is a similar noob trap. But I guess it’s not easy to find a wording that is both unambiguous and short enough to fit the limited UI space.

Perhaps, the discription should be like " -6 Seconds to All non character  %hp  triggered Active Skill Cooldoowns " because Aeon does not work only to skills like Blast shield or Ghoulish hunger etc.

Not sure i understand what you said. Dilation does work for Ghoulish Hunger (passive trigger) and Hungering Void (active trigger). But it does not work for skill tree or equipment passive triggers (Menhir’s Will, Prismatic Rage).

It also works just fine with skill tree and equipment actives. In fact, one of the most funny use of Dilation is to bind it to a multi-target movement skill. That way, in my case, with Blitz and a medal augment, i can reliably use a movement skill 4 times in a row while going through the map. Really speeds you up.
And if you have a character with 3 movement skills, it will be just full on PoE mode :laughing:

1 Like

Don’t feel too bad about being confused. GD mechanics are like the mechanics of the English language itself: there are more exceptions to the rules than there are rules themselves :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, what Aeon affects and what it doesn’t affect is arbitrary. Ghoul is not an active skill. Neither is Behemoth. But I know from reliable sources that Aeon works for those two.

It would be nice if someone actually tested it and produced a list of skills affected by Aeon.

We could start a new thread where people report in their finds and compile it in the first thread of that post.

As far as i can see from my testing, this line i suggested is correct:
“-6 Seconds to All Current Cooldowns of Active and Devotion Skills”.

It affects all active skills and all triggers from devotion. Didn’t notice it affecting any passive non-devotion triggers.

So it affects all devotions?

Not itself I guess

I read somewhere,that affects Ghoul.If true is interesting.

More likely, all devotions. I didn’t test them all though and it’s pretty hard to track the skills with 0.5-1 sec cooldown.

Not itself, of course. At least it didn’t look like it when i was testing.

Gotta say its pretty bizarre to have this kind of unanswered questions about the core mechanics floating around, when one of the devs frequents the forum.

Yes, it affects Ghoul and Dying God. I have Hungering Void basically 100% uptime, without too much of skill cooldown reduction from equipment.

@DaShiv made a chart some time ago. I’m not sure how up-to-date it is, but it’s a good start.

It definitely affects Ghoul. I procced it twice in 15 secs or so the other day (15-20% cooldown reduction). Unless i messed smth up completely, the answer for “passive devotions” is yes.

Which is why i was surprized to see several people saying in the other thread that my path for pierce build is wrong. I don’t think a lot of people realise how powerful Dilation is, even if it doesn’t affect skill tree passives.

On hit is not an active proc, is it? Active is when it can be bound to an active skill. Besides, it was confirmed by one of the best players and builders that Aeon works on Ghoul. So this table by DaShiv is outdated/wrong.

I believe what Aeon and Belgo relic/Eternity affect is arbitrary. There is no rule. Someone should to check it in a modded, controlled environment.

this is just like borderlands 2’s gun/splash/grenade damage dilemma. where players have to do tests themselves on whether certain guns are affected by grenade damage or not, and if it do splash damage or not.
thankfully they’ve already made the lists, so i believe gd community will eventually be able to make lists of skills affected by time dilation and other %cdr methods.

I’ll consider doing so sometime this weekend but this…

is very wrong. There is a rule, even if I’m not 100% sure of what it is. (I’m pretty sure I know, though) I do, however, know with 100% certainty that there isn’t a blacklist anywhere saying “This skill in particular can’t have its CD reset!”

I’m a bit busy because I have another mod that I said would be updated yesterday but is most likely looking to a “later this weekend” release as well, but I’ll see if I can’t get that environment up and running to test this.

Until then, my personal guess is that the following is the case (based off DaShiv’s chart):

CDR

• Mastery Active Skills - Yes
  • Mastery Passive Skills - Yes
  • Active Devotions - Yes
  • Passive Devotions - Yes
  • Item Active Skills - No
  • Item Passive Skills - No

CDR Chance

• Mastery Passive Skills - No
  • Active Devotions - Yes
  • Passive Devotions - No
  • Item Active Skills - No
  • Item Passive Skills - No

CDR Reset

• Mastery Passive Skills - Yes*
  • Active Devotions - Yes
  • Passive Devotions - Yes*
  • Item Active Skills - Yes
  • Item Passive Skills - Yes*

*A passive skill is a broad term. WPS, for instance, are passives that could have a cooldown and that would be affected by Time Dilation if they did. But things that trigger a self-buff (Fighting Spirit, Menhir’s Will, Resilience, etc.) are not affected by TD when that buff expires. Why this allegedly affects something like Ghoulish Hunger and not Turtle Shell is a good question, one which would need to be more profusely tested in a closed environment.