[Mod] Augury

TL;DR Divination Cards in Grim Dawn

DOWNLOAD LINK

Clicking the above will auto-download “Augur.zip”.

Download and Installation Instructions

Virus Total Analysis

Extract “Augur.zip” to your Grim Dawn/mods/ directory in your installation folder. The file structure should look like:

• Grim Dawn/mods/Augur/assets
  • Grim Dawn/mods/Augur/database
  • Grim Dawn/mods/Augur/resources
  • etc.

Don’t look through those files if you don’t want spoilers. (duh?)

Requires:

• Grim Dawn
  • Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth
  • Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods

Launch from the Custom Game setting in Grim Dawn, selecting the “Augur ~ world001.map” mod.

Principle/"Why?"

I’ve been asking for a form of targeted loot in Grim Dawn for a while now. I’ve even tried modding something of the sort in before, to less-than-satisfactory results and nothing ever quite got off the ground. Following a recent Discord conversation, however, I got to thinking that a targeted-crafting sort of system was not only entirely doable in the engine, but should also have been fairly easy to throw together.

Six manhours of work later, we have this:

Don’t read the smith’s name backwards

How it works/How to play it

Monsters will drop one of a good number of ‘cards’ that are essentially components, except they can’t be slotted in any armor or jewelry. Like most components, you’ll need several of the same type to combine into a completed ‘card’. Incomplete ‘cards’ have a little red ‘X’ in their bottom right corner, and completed cards get a light blue check mark in their top left corner. Completed cards can then be exchanged with Inusat, Augur, a new smith introduced with the mod.

Some incomplete cards…I wonder what we can get from them!

But where can one find Inusat? Nowhere. Everywhere. Some say there’s a little bit of Inusat in all of us…that or once you hit Honored with any of the three Witch God Factions or the Black Legion/Malmouth Resistance, you can buy a ‘Mysterious Card’ usable item which will summon the smith to your realm. Cost: 200k Iron Bits. This item is NOT consumed on use.

Pay no attention to the cooldown; you can spam this shit if you want.
Ceno accepts no responsibility for what happens if you spam this shit.

Exchanging cards costs one additional Iron Bit (because for some reason it can’t cost 0 Iron; :zantai: please fix) as well as a completed card component. Each type of card has different requirements for completing; some may complete with just three or four instances of the same type of card being combined, others may need ten or more. But the rewards for these larger stacks of cards will surely be worth your efforts…

State of the Mod: v0.3

Version 0.3 of this mod is not too different from Version 0.2; ultimately, it only fixes a longstanding issue with the NPC generation process used to create the Augury Smith. In older versions, the item used to spawn the Smith could be spammed an unlimited number of times, creating an NPC on the map each time. While this could be convenient, as one could leave a smith in town, travel about the world, and then use the smith when they got back, it was much more easily exploitable and more readily damaging to the stability of the game by creating too many entities.

Thanks to some help from Asylum101, Augury Version 0.3 features “new” (old if you’re a grimmest player) scripting functionality to spawn and despawn the Augury Smith.

That’s it. There are no other changes to the mod…for now.

Do note that in the future I intend to merge Augury with the ‘Protosets’ mod (name pending) located here. One of these two threads will likely be closed so as to keep feedback in one place.

Current Cards, their Stack Sizes, and their Rewards...Spoilers! (Duh!)
Card Name Stack Size Card Reward
Green Merchant 12 Thunderstruck Stoneplate Greaves of Kings
Resolute Devotee 8 Stonehide Solael-Sect Legguards
Fearsmith 6 Kilrian’s Shattered Soul (x3)
Heartless 3 -heart Dagger
Fool 6 Tonic of Clarity (x3)
Aspirant 7 Potion of Clarity (x4)
Husk 5 Mythical Mindwarp
Outcast 5 Outcast’s Secret
Forest 4 Living Armor
Bulbous 4 Ugdenbloom (x10)
Vampire 3 Mythical Wrath of Tenebris
Antagonist 4 Warrant
Protagonist 4 Mandate
Dagger 11 Incorruptible Cronley’s Signet of Attack
Butcher 8 Pit Master’s Axe of Cruelty
Pauper 2 Augury Card
Sailor 4 Explorer Piece
Godless 3 Kymon’s Chosen Armor Augment (x3)
Hierophant 3 Death’s Vigil Armor Augment (x3)
Satiated 3 Barrowholm Armor Augment (x3)
Denier 3 Outcast Armor Augment (x3)
Athlete 4 Glyph
Athlete 4 Rune
Utopian 4 Eldritch Essence (x10)
Dreamer 7 Celestial Lotus (x5)
Red Merchant 2 Aether Crystal, Shard, or Cluster (x5)
Gemling 3 Gem-like Component
Peddler 8 Scavenged Plating (x50)
Legend 6 Mythical Chausses of Barbaros
Entombed 3 Mythical Stonetreaders
Bane 4 Stoneguard Piece
Unstoppable 12 Thunderstruck Kaisan’s Eldritch Eye of the Gildam Arcanum
Affluent 6 Stack of Premium Iron Bars
Crimson Lord 4 Blood Knight’s Piece
Barrelsmith 2 Legendary Dual-Wield Ranged Enabler
Tower 4 Silver Tower Piece

I won’t be telling you where to get these cards, though - go find them for yourself and share what you learn with your friends!

Special Thanks
  • ujibujijib, who wanted to see this idea come to GD and whom I bounced some ideas off of.
  • Asylum101, who provided ample scripting support.
  • Zantai, who, in between demeaning comments, actually helped me create some of the art assets for the mod. Also he kinda made the game I’m modding, so…
  • You, for reading this far and potentially trying the mod out.

Patch Notes
Patch v0.3
  • Fixed longstanding issue with the spawning of the Augury Smith.
  • Cleaned up internal database to make things (slightly) more efficient and easier to understand.
Patch v0.2
  • Added 19 additional Augury Cards to the game with 20 recipes to compliment them. They tend to focus moreso on mid-game progression for players looking to gear up alts or participate in trading.
  • Fixed Roguelike Endbosses dropping The Resolute Devotee when they should have been a source for The Green Merchant.
  • Fixed Fearsmith sources instead being sources of The Resolute Devotee.
  • Fixed Zarthuzellan and Rolderathis being unable to drop any cards.
  • The Pauper now completes after combining two fragments, down from five.
  • v0.2.1: Moved reputation requirement down to Honored. Can now be acquired at that reputation from the Black Legion, Malmouth Resistance, and the Witch Gods.
Patch v0.1
  • Initial Release
6 Likes

I vote for cards that spawn an item with :

• a guaranteed rare prefix
  • a guaranteed rare suffix
  • a guaranteed rare prefix + random suffix
  • a guaranteed rare suffix+ random prefix
  • a guaranteed rare prefix and rare suffix
  • Very rare and require a lot of cards (maybe unbalanced gamebreaking idea) : a card that spawn a random rare item with random prefix/suffix of any item type including affixes that shouldn’t spawn on this type of item.
    A way to limit it could be either to limit to one affix or one item type only, so that the player can not stack all his gear with cooldown reduction for example.

This already exists in several cases, though more are on the way!

I don’t intend to allow the cards to create anything that cannot be obtained in a non-modded game. The intention is to enable players who are looking for some particular rarer items to have a means to farm directly for those items, not to inject powercreep/endless farming into the game. That being said, being as the mod is entirely open-sourced, you’re more than welcome to develop such a thing for your own works if you’d like! :smiley:

I understand your idea, good work :wink: .

New patch is ready. Just waiting on 1.1.4.0 to go public (because I built the patch with stuff from the vanilla update) before releasing.

As a bit of a preview of what’s to come:

• Bug fixes primarily having to do with some enemies being unable to drop cards or dropping the wrong cards.
  • 19 additional cards (with 20 ways to use them)!
  • Many more enemies now drop cards, not just bosses. As a result of this, the mod has increased in size by a whopping 250%!

Will someone PLZ figure out a way to use more than one mod at a time? I would love to be able to use this with say grimarillion or cataclysm.

1 Like

There is nothing to figure out, it cannot be done. You will need to merge them,

How come? One of the cards can be traded for two different items?

Indeed so.

Spoilers ahead!

The Athlete

The Athlete card can be exchanged for a random Glyph (Level 50) at your favorite skeletal augur. Alternatively, if you have two completed Athletes, you can exchange them both for a Rune (Level 90) instead!

And with the release of the new patch, Augury gets to be updated as well!

Patchnotes:

• Added 19 additional Augury Cards to the game with 20 recipes to compliment them. They tend to focus moreso on mid-game progression for players looking to gear up alts or participate in trading.
  • Fixed Roguelike Endbosses dropping The Resolute Devotee when they should have been a source for The Green Merchant.
  • Fixed Fearsmith sources instead being sources of The Resolute Devotee.
  • Fixed Zarthuzellan and Rolderathis being unable to drop any cards.
  • The Pauper now completes after combining two fragments, down from five.

State of the Mod section updated with the new cards!

Small update posted to correct a…err…“bug”…

:slight_smile:

Small update.

v0.2.1:

• The item used to summon the NPC with whom you exchange cards can now be acquired at Honored reputation, instead of Revered, with the three Witch God Factions. In addition, it can be acquired at the same reputation tier with Black Legion and Malmouth Resistance.