A very dumb question which is not so dumb

Ok so i have over 100 hours on this game but i haven’t figured out yet how do you know if a skill it’s modified by %attack speed (attack) and %cast speed (spell). I know the obvious default attacks like savagery are attacks and that the arcanist spells like devastation which deal no %weapon damage are spells.

However since i’ve seen some forceweave MIs drop always with cast speed (Obsidian War Cleaver AKA “the purple rocky 2hand axe that drops from cathonian golems”) i was wondering if forcewave is actually a spell because i always thought it was an attack. The problem is that the wording on this game always says “on attack” but never makes distinction between attack and spells.

So for example Phantasmal Blades, Ring of Steel, Armarasta’s Blade Burst, Callidor’s Tempest are spells or attacks? because i have no fking idea. They deal base %Wep damage but feel like a spell.

Also pets which scale with player bonuses like Blade Spirits and use a skill “Whirling Blades” is that affected by the player attack speed or cast speed. This is kinda important to know because if i have a lot of cast speed and it’s a spell it will increase the procs on devotions/on hit stuff right?

Forcewave and similar item skills are the only outliers for a weapon attack.

1 Like

Only skills without Cooldown scales with cast or attack speed. Ring of Steel of instance do have CD, so can’t scale with either.

Auto attack replacers like Savagery scales with attack speed, also Blade Arc and Thunderous Strike. Forcewave is only attack looking skill (along with Obsidian Tremor) which scales with cast speed.

Spamming spells and channeling skills like Drain Essence depend on high cast speed.

Blade Spirits are player scaled pets. They use your OA, % damage and such but have they own based speed, which is not affected by your stats.

1 Like

Very useful info, thank you. I was very dissapointed player scaled pets didn’t scale with %as/cs.

So one last doubt. If i have 4 diferent skills with a cooldown on my piano build does cast speed have any influence on the cast animations when spamming the keys? Or is there any sort of “default cast time” and all skills with cooldown use that?

In other words, does %attack speed/cast speed ONLY affect the delay between repeats of the same non-cooldown skill? Or it applies to the delay between different attacks/spells as well if they are used in quick succession with/without cooldown?

Examples:
I do savagery-cadence-savagery-cadence
I do Devastation(cd)-Callidor’s(cd)-TSS(cd)

This. But in case of casters that I usually play it applies i.e. when you have lots of spells / a filler ability.
For example if you only had

It wouldn’t matter almost at all (because only 3 spells and with generally long cooldown)

Although if you have a filler spell like Oblivion and you’d like to combine it with i.e. 0.6s recharge Doom Bolt one of them will suffer even at 200% cs. Or in another words it’s hard to fit in the two. But this is a very rare example because normally your non-filler spells have far longer cooldowns than 0.6s.

1 Like

Ok so it seems my piano build benefits from %cs after all :upside_down_face: because i have a filler one. Many thanks.

You can check by how the animation play. Skills that are using Attack speed will swing/shot their weapon and the blade/projectile hit their target. The example in this group is Blade Arc and all Attack replacer. It’s easier to notice which skill using attack speed on ranged weapon as they will show the weapon projectile. Skills that are using casting speed will not produce the ranged weapon projectile when cast.

Skills that are using Casting Speed will wave/swing their hand in the animation and some will even hide the weapon that they carried when casting the skill. I believe all component skills, PRM, DEE, Forcewave, Bone Harvest are using casting speed.

Note that Forcewave and some skill like Sharzul MI skill do not hide their weapon and swing their weapon during the animation, they are using casting speed because their damage is coming from the wave they produced instead of the weapon hitting the target.