[ABANDONED] Polish Grim Dawn translation / Spolszczenie do Grim Dawn

Good to see hard work of guys from Poland!.

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

As Brodaty said, there are many Slovenian languages which are the most complex in the world (next to Polish, Czech is not so simple either, right? :slight_smile: ) So correct translations of weapon and item names are VITAL. I am unable to translate it in way dev team desires, because it will be like talking in permanent infinitive - simply weird. And there is no way for workaround, it won’t make any sense to Czech people and will look just very badly translated. We have the very same problem as Brodaty, there is an example:

Blacksmith (EN): Kovář (CZ)
Blacksmith’s: For everything (EN) and here we go:

Kovářovy rukavice (Blacksmith’s gloves)
Kovářův meč (Blacksmith’s sword)
Kovářova dýka (Blacksmith’s dagger)
Kovářovo brnění (Blacksmith’s armor)

And plenty of other missing, because its in the text, I have written possibilities for items only.

So I am definitely for not to translate the names since this is solved. I know You are doing what You can dev team, but if I am translating something, I am doing it as good as possible.

Thank You,

IncredibleX aka RottenFlesh.

:wink:

I had an idea how to solve this in way that wont make people cringe when reading the translated item names. For example: when you have an item that is called eg Warriors Dagger then in Polish it would be Sztylet Wojownika. But Wojownika would not have to work with everything. But what if the items were translated this way Warriors : Dagger? This would make the type of item be a separate entity and therefore it would not have to be the completely right.
Warriors: Dagger = Wojownika: Sztylet Warriors: Shield = Wojownika: Tarcza
Destroyed: Dagger = Zniszczony: Sztylet
Destroyed: Shield = Zniszczony: Tarcza
Its not much better but it doesnt make we want to burn the monitor down.

Thank You for your opinion, but, as You have said, its still bad :frowning:
But, maybe You gave me an idea.

Warrior’s means, that its the set name, right?

If there is no thing with name like this except a set one, which have the same name, we can do workaround like this:

Warrior’s SET: Sword
Warrior’s SET: Amulet
Warrior’s SET: Ring
Warrior’s SET: Armor
Warrior’s SET: Boots
Warrior’s SET: Gloves

But it changes the “how it sounds” slightly.

So, [b]this should be much better:

Guardsman’s Raiment: Helm
Guardsman’s Raiment: Spaulders
Guardsman’s Raiment: Boots
Guardsman’s Raiment: Defender
Guardsman’s Raiment: Breastplate[/b]

If we do translation like this, there can not be problem in any of all the languages, I suppose…

Other things, with Unique name, as Hermmit’s Legguards, can be translated correctly, because there are only one trausers, correct?

This could be a way as well. The thing is that as far as those translations go, right now people making them can chose between bad and aweful in some scenarios. So you must decide how to approach this and the way me and you just discussed should be taken into consideration. I just hope the translating community will manage to find the best way for some of these languages.

I’ve found the solution for words like “Żelazny” and “Żelazna” (male and female name of “Iron”).
It will look like this:

“Miecz z Żelaza” (Sword Made of Iron)

Also other items will be translated in this way. For example:

“Powerfull Iron Sword of Example” (Miecz Potęgi i Przykładu z Żelaza)

It sounds a little weird in Polish, but sounds more normal than totaly incorrect version like “Żelazna Miecz” (female-male mix).
I think it would work. People like such “complicated” names in ARPGs :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I’ve small question for devs - is there any option to fix this? Female and Male should be at the right side of checkbox.

Also… Tag not found: tagMapOldDumb - this thing isn’t avaiable in tags_storyelements, anyone noticed same thing?

Good work brodaty :slight_smile:

Another small bugs and fixes. Our wonderfull devs, it would be great to get some kind of “FIX” part of translations. For example - if game can’t find proper tag, it will search inside #FIX part of additional txt file. Is it great? I think it is!

So, I was playing few hours with my translation and found some bugs that are not avaiable in storyelements.txt

Missing Quest Items found:

tagQuestItemSlithNecklace=Naszyjnik Slithów
tagQuestItemSlithNecklace_Text=“Paskudny, obrzydliwy i oślizgły naszyjnik zerwany z truchła Slitha.”

Missing map names:

tagMapOldDump=Stary Zsyp
tagMapSoddenHollow=Rozmokłe Pustkowie
tagMapFoggyBank=Zamglony Nasyp
tagMapMolderingFields=Przegniłe Pola

Missing undergrounds names:
tagUGLowerCrossingRatDen01=Szczurza Nora

Missing NPC names:

tagNPC_Devilscrossing_04=Podróżnik
tagNPC_Devilscrossing_05=Podróżnik
Screenshot here - http://i.imgur.com/IAG1VQZ.jpg

tagNPC_Flavor_DevilsCrossing01=Kobieta
tagNPC_Flavor_DevilsCrossing02=Dziewczynka
tagNPC_Flavor_DevilsCrossing03=Chłopiec
Screenshot here - http://i.imgur.com/7U1XcVW.jpg

Hi Brodaty,

the problem is not with “Iron Dagger”, but with “Chilled Trashined Carabine of the Wastes”. I cannot simply translate this. Male translation would seems very weird and female translation is not an option. I think devs should really think about this, why it is possible in TQ and not in Grim Dawn, if it should be “better game” in every way??

Lumierol find this - In english version of TQ there were no 2 versions of words (jedovatý/jedovatá, poisoned), but czech version of TQ contains this:

xtagStyleArmor01=Splint
xtagStyleArmor01=[ms]destičkový[fs]destičková[ns]destičkové[fp]destičkové (armor/helm/gloves/??)

So there is a way.

Brodaty, do you have a program for analyze two txt. files and search new lines ? (Yeahhh, my english is TOO bad) xD

Yup, there should be something like this.

Brodaty, do you have a program for analyze two txt. files and search new lines ? (Yeahhh, my english is TOO bad) xD

I’m using Notepad++ for this - just checking out number of lines in my file and new file. For example in old I’ve 500 lines and in new one I’ve 503. So I’m looking which number is different. In old file item named EXAMPLE is 330, in new item it’s 333, so change must be somewhere nearby.

But… I’ve asked Zentai for changelogs only for translators. Sad response. I’ve hope they will change their mind :wink:

For comparing two files, or whole folders, I am using program WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/), program compare all lines between files, show differents and in directories it show if some file is missing, is different or is identical as second file.

I recommend winmerge, probably the best and free.

Sorry for endless watching Polish thread (sorry fellas :wink: )

But I answer this - try PSpad, it allows you to compare 2 files together and much more functions.

http://www.pspad.com/en/download.php

Its free even for business and its epic if you know how to use it, but its not so hard.

Open one file, go to menu, select Tools -> text differences -> text diff and navigate to the second file.

I used this for update changes when new B16 was released.

Hope this answer is enough, even if I am not Brodaty :smiley:

Thank you !

Stuff for new patch translated and uploaded:

npc_alex_01 - 100%
npc_constance_01 - 100%
npc_isaac_01 - 100%
npc_jane_01 - 100%
npc_rover_camp_01 - 100%
npc_rover_marcelus_01 - 100%
sq_sacrifice - 100%
sq_slithnecklaces - 100%

Witaj Brodaty.

Super sprawa, że podjaeś się lokalizacji tej ekstra zapowiadajacej się gry h&s.
Masz pełne wsparcie z naszej strony. Niestety nie mamy na razie dostępu do alfy i nie jesteśmy w stanie pomóc przy ewentualnej korekcie itp.

A tutaj wpisy o Grim Dawn
http://hackslashsite.pl/tag/grim-dawn/

Pozdrawiam
Paweł

Brodaty,

if You still need some help translating let me know, I got some spare time every now and then so I wouldn’t mind spending it in a creative way that will hopefully help this game sell better for Polish players.

I do not know if owning a game is an issue at the moment, but I should have it within few weeks tops.

I can also help You with proof reading if need be, I studied English philology, currently live in England so I am more less familiar with this language :stuck_out_tongue:

If You don’t mind, I would like to add my suggestions, just few more extra options, perhaps we could have Polish player decide which one sounds better for them in a poll or something:

Bagna Wightmire - as ‘Bagna Wightmire’ seems a little odd, ‘Bagna’ can be translated into ‘mire’ basically, it’s not exact translation but still. Etymology of the word ‘wight’ suggests its similar to ‘creature’, ‘being’, ‘spirit’, hence ‘Widmowe Moczary’ is my suggestion, this would imply some bog like place, that is scary and potentially houses creatures You don’t want to meet after dark. It’s my guess that this was the intended ‘feel’ of the location in devs minds, though it’s just my guess.

Resistance Saga - Saga would suggest a long story, a history of something, since this is a quest (I think) I do not have a better name for it now, but I should think focusing on resistance and somewhat cutting out Saga may change it’s meaning. Would love to hear a comment from devs on this.

Waking to Misery - I would suggest ‘Nędzne przebudzenie’, it retains the waking and misery in it. ‘Budząc niepokój’ cannot be used as this implies something completely different, it means something is causing someone to feel uneasy. ‘Waking anxiety’ is not the way to go, as ‘anxiety’ would suggest fear, and I believe devs intended something else by using the word ‘Misery’ here.

Burial Hills - I would suggest ‘Cmentarne wzgórza’ which implies hills where people were buried.

Burial Cave - is not a cave where You burn people. Burial is relating to funeral, so burial cave is where You place a dead body for its final rest. That’s why I would suggest ‘Cmentarna grota’, this contains the exact intended meaning.

Lower Crossing - Your suggested name is ok, I wouldn’t use Lower Creek as Lower Crossing sounds better.

Warden - I suggest not using ‘opiekun’ as it sounds to soft and out of tune for this kind of game, it needs stronger meaning like ‘Strażnik’ or ‘Wartownik’.

That’s my few bits here just to start ^^

I can help with skills and npc’s lines if you want :wink:

Krieg is a warden of local prison so “Zarządca” fits better. Eventually, “Rządca” which sounds more like XVIII/XIX century. We could say “Dyrektor więzienia” nowadays but it doesn’t fit the mood.