About Gamepad - XBOX 360 pad

Hi,

I have read somewhere, Crate team is working on an XBOX version of Grim Dawn. Am I Wrong ?

If it is so, I would be very very glad, if the PC version will obtain some improvements about the gamepad use.

For now, using a gamepad is really cool, but using the mouse cursor is very complicated. So when I have to sell, or buy item, craft ones, choose a specific rift in the map, it’s impossible to stay with this gamepad… So I alternate all the time mouse / gamepad… And some bugs appears after several minutes / hours of game. The tooltip of the item I wear don’t appear, the cursor become crazy with the mouse etc…

I am also playing with a gamepad, although not the Xbox controller.

While I wish a few UI-elements would be added to the D-pad navigation, I am mostly fine with the above.

• At vendors the D-pad navigation can be tricky due to the differently sized items they are offering, but you get used to it (or use the left stick).
  • On the map you need to move the cursor with the left stick, before you can reliably select a riftgate (yes, might benefit from some tweaking).

Can you explain a bit more, what makes it so difficult to use the gamepad in these moments?

Well, I like a lot the Jewel principle for choose and assign the skill for exemple. It’s a dedicated dev for gamepad. I find just the selector too sensitive, but a details, here I see the perfect situation of a great adaptation for gamepad…

The problem comes when the cursor appear : so during sell/buy and above all selection of a rift on the map…

A system of autoselection, going from a rift to another, like in a big html form, when you use the tab button to go to a textfield to another : a kind of “tabulation” system, with autoselection, will be maybe better. The cursor, I think it’s not a good choice with a pad…

Well I have no experience in console, so maybe some famous games use cursor with pad, but I think “moving a cursor” is a mouse UI thing, not efficient at all with a pad… After, it’s my very personal opinion, and maybe it’s a question of habit, and training :sweat_smile:

Quite honestly I’m hard-pressed to imagine a way that would be better. Use the analog to move quickly across “large” areas of the screen, once the analog gets you in the vicinity of where you want to be you then switch to the d-pad for finer control.

A “tab” system would be a step backwards in my thinking. The only way it would work good is if all items were the exact same size.

1 Like

I have to play again at Skyrim, I remember a very good experience with the XBOX360 pad…

I think each one will have his own experience and it depends on the type of pad…

Skyrim inventory is pretty much text based (scroll up and down) - far different. I’m sure with a bit of work they could do something similar but I’m kinda doubting it since it isn’t a good way to convey the restraints of your main inventory and the bags.

Plus it would probably entail a pretty major UI redesign to pull it off similarly.

1 Like

You are probably right. Plus, I like in fact using mouse and pad. I have a mouse, so I use it when I find it better convinient for some actions. And honestly, a part from some bugs, it works pretty well…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.