About Generate Additional Threat

I noticed that today’s update has weakened the speed of the pet, although the damage of the pet is compensated, but the low attack speed of the pet will become more difficult to taunt the monster, I hope to take this into account and add some of the basic threat value of the pet as a compensation.

3 Likes

Why do you want to weaken the attack speed of pets? zantai, are you senile dementia? The pet genre is already very weak. Please go and play a game. Go and play your shit Lord. See how strong the Lord is now and see how weak other genres are.

I’ll teach you how to change it. You change the original spirit to unlimited duration, and change the skill of pups spitting fire to three-stage injury. The effective range is 180 degrees.
Then change the scope of Crow lightning to ten, so that everyone can play well, or you can play this mentally retarded game yourself.

someone didn’t read all the notes

1 Like

all because no one cared about his suggestion xD

Keep it civil folks.

I’ll teach you something else instead. Learn to show some respect because this attitude among a certain portion of the community is getting tiresome.

Also I recommend actually reading all the changes before you proceed to spew nonsense on the forum.

5 Likes

I wanted to post something of relevance in light of this thread by I can’t as I am still “flipping” out over the wind devil changes :open_mouth:

On topic of Generate Additional Threat, I think the change from it to Taunt Target at 17/22 need to be lowered to 12/22 for Ground Slam, Ember Claw, and Rotting Fumes.

2 Likes

Another approach is to lower monster Protection from Taunting.

1 Like

If only reduce the skill level requirements, it is too limited, and the effect is not large, the current equipment does not lack skill levels, the pet damage does not well replac the effect of attack speed, (Also, I see many equipment changes like 30% attack speed change to 30% damage, which can be completely understood as nerf, not balance or buff) increase the Threat value from the basic attributes of the pets, or reduce the taunts resistance of the monsters is suitable way.

Lowering pet speed also means if the player is kiting from monsters, it is harder for pets to catch up and land hits on the pursuer(s). Thus making threaten/taunt even more important than before, as a means of avoiding kiting in the first place.

Most sources of speed for Pets were Total Speed. So, both attack speed and movement speed were affected. Slow moving Pets feel terrible to play with. Threat generation could help, but maybe some movement speed compensation for Pets on devotions could be better?

If that’s the case, do you think it’s a nerf overall?

I agree that there should be some speed when it comes to devotions though

One more thing: lowering pet speed also means they proc devotion skills less. But I guess this could be compensated with even more damage.

Damage doesn’t solve everything, though. Devotion skills could be a major source of extra AoE for the pets. Proccing these less frequently will affect how much AoE those pets can put out. Speaking of AoE, or I guess trash mob clear, pets, especially the beefier ones like Briar, often already one-shot trash mobs. If you give them more damage but slow them down, they’ll just pointlessly overkill those trash mobs even more but will kill fewer of them per unit of time because they just won’t switch targets as fast.

Even if the DPS numbers wind up being 1:1 or even in favour of the newly adjusted pets, being equivalent on DPS does not make them equivalent in performance. Crowd control (through taunt), procs, ability to chase, horde clear, all these things will suffer and just giving the pets even more damage won’t address that. If the issue was the pet skills weren’t affected by speed and therefore were less attractive than autoattacks, I think it would be better to either find a way to make it so they are affected by attack speed, if engine allows it, or to superbuff those pet skills to make them worth the investment over autoattacks.

1 Like

Yeah, agreed. I had a sinking feeling about these pet speed nerfs and I anticipate they will end up being a total disaster. Better to revert those nerfs and general damage buffs and just focus on making Ember Claw et. al. a lot better.

literally unaffected by speed because all taunts are on cooldown based skills

i don’t see how this will change even for mono pets, why? - because even during levelling, way before you get to speed stacking; mono pets has 0 issues proccing devos or maintaining decent uptime/proc rate

not really significant in terms of CC, aoe aggro is, and supposedly this change will help with just that (most pet attacks being single target thus not have aoe threat CC effect)

this is only significant in terms of movement speed, attack speed/dps wont be a factor, and is easily separately compensated if attack speed dps is an issue for this overhaul

“which is the very point of this change”; Z straight up states that in the notes… Grim Dawn v1.2.1.0 Playtest Changelog - #15 by Zantai

Take a Briathorn with no attack speed and a Briathorn with over 100 % attack speed, put Bull Rush on them, and tell me there’ll be no difference in proc rate. Again, even if the net dps, on both the pet and the Bull Rush winds up being the same, given that those Bull Rushes will often overkill swarmy mobs, proccing them less means killing fewer of them per unit of time. Killing fewer enemies per unit of time means taking longer to clear the pack.

I wasn’t talking just about CC, I was also talking about horde clear. That’s why I typed the words “horde CLEAR” not horde control. Assuming you’re one-shotting every white mob, proccing your AoE devos half as often and attacking half as often means taking twice as long to clear the pack. And given that clear time is so often used as a performance metric, that means just making that build’s performance worse, at least in the horde clear aspect of it. The hero/boss kill time might stay the same because the net DPS stays the same, but shard completion isn’t just about killing the heroes/bosses, it’s about thinning out the horde so you can focus the heroes and minimise threat to yourself.

proc rate is more limited by cooldown than it is pets attack speed - because you’re ignoring the current insanely superfluous attack speed v cd pets have

^repeated it for you since you seemed to totally gloss over what i stated re speed stacking mono pets

you were also talking about CC “which i am then too”
which also factors in for horde clear; if the horde is controlled clearing it faster is less significant re aggro
*you’re also assuming lots of stuff again re dps/aoe clear; if aoe/abilities are increased it means the 1v1 speed killing gets shifted to higher rate of aoe killing

which means not only did you not read Z’s notes the first time, you also still bothered not to read them the 2nd time when mentioned
allow me to highlight for the people missing key aspects to this update and making preemptive assumptions contrary to said statement

we starting to get the gist of Z’s notes/this overhaul intentions yet?

(and let me toss in the earlier mention too since that was probably also ignored the 2nd time/no one in this thread seems to read what Z bothers to post)

“idea being making pet skills worth vs just stacking auto attacks” - literally the very thing you complained about/thought to assume being detrimentally missed