About to face Father Kymon on Hardcore Ultimate - untwinked

… and I’m pissing myself. This guy is so crazy. I don’t even have good gear, I’m running greens and random purples mostly. Not a single end-build item lol.

meteor to orbs to jump, 20k HP gone. Tested numerous times on softcore. I only have 17k HP and 45% stun resist atm… :sweat_smile:

I can basically prey that I can DPS him down in the 13 second time window (his 1st meetup transformation animation takes 3 secs and another 10 bought by aether crystal) :sweat_smile: if that doesn’t work, I’m toast. The arena is small, his attacks are hard to see, and there’s the burning ground, so kiting him is such a pain.

This is for the penultimate achievement, since I have all the rest except 25th SR HC (which should be a hell lot easier than this). Wish me luck lol. Korvaak is such a pushover in comparison.

Father Kymon is the REAL FG boss, Korvaak is like stealing candy from a kid in comparison

2 Likes

I second that. Hell, even the Steward is more of a problem than Korvaak (for melees at least), TBH… :sweat_smile:

And don’t get me started with that lightning priest boss in temple of osyr. Entire room filled with stuff.
Just looks like lazy boss room design to me.
Or I am just too stupid to figure out the patterns.

4 Likes

Wait, wasn’t it “Kaisan is OP please nerf” like few months ago? I always kept saying that Father Kymon is way stronger than Kaisan, and multiple people said it’s not true. :smile:

I do agree that Father Kymon is sometimes impossible to kill with a first build, some classes just die on him no matter what. Although, he is possible to kill it’s probably the strongest boss in the game, counting in Nemesis monsters.

I completely agree. It’s way harder to facetank Kymon than Kaisan in my experience. Kymon is easily high tier Nemesis level (Grava Thul, Alexander, etc.). Just compare Kubacabra to him, what a joke! Kuba can’t even move my HP bar on my top chars.

I did pick a build that excels at untwinked DPS dealing, but I don’t expect 13 seconds to suffice… :roll_eyes:

out of curiosity, could you mind sharing? you can PM me :slight_smile:

I don’t mind sharing. The knife trickster ofc. 150k+ dps with just a green ghost crosbow AND ranged AND life stealing AND easy -60% RR from mosquitos. It really helps to have the +30% HP and resis from the toggle too.

now if I were twinked I’d go for something different, but this guy is really good and efficient 1st char. When it doubt, pop Aether Crystal and dps things dead.

Phantasmal blades trickster, yes. I did a guide with Sir Spanks but for Reaper to get some more defensive stuff like damage reduction etc :slight_smile:

Reaper would make a great pick too, however I figured out that the advantage in RR from locust swarm would be more efficient when DPSing things down on Aether Crystal (which I never had to use until forgotten gods TBH, except when doing the achievement for killing Gargabol on hardcore).

Trash mobs throught the game die instantly anyway, so it’s all about the bosses :slightly_smiling_face:

Aether cluster

Yes and when you tank bosses, you need some damage reduction on them and Decay is perfect for that. Also you have Mark of torment when Ghoul is on cooldown. Also free casting speed and life steal in Harbinger of souls.

This reminds me, I should do a teaser video for our budget PB reaper at some point xD

But perhaps one could say Trickster DPS and Reaper QoL

I could argue that my Lightning Mage Hunter build has comparable DPS

1 Like

Cluster, right. I can never recall what’s it called :sweat_smile:

If I can’t kill Kymon during 13 seconds, I guess I will just have to farm the Mythical Demonslayer set, but that will mean I will lose the one-time-only transformation animation. 3 seconds is a lot :sweat_smile: Not to mention that’s a lot of effort for someone who’s just going for the last 2 achievements.

I never read guides or other people’s ideas, I mostly try to figure things out myself in videogames, makes more fun!

I have Crate of Entertainment to kill and that will be all the content, phew. Already figured out a build (Shattered Realm set for the 80% stun/para/freeze rez, 50% physical res, 3,5k OA, 4k armor, and something to disable the crates with since they have zero CC resistance… like WarCry or Ice Nova perhaps. Fortunately I do have a lvl 100 Warlord ready for that task. After retaliation nerfs, he became a sad panda. Not too fun to play anymore. Guess he can die 40 times until he does it right :sweat_smile:).

yes. father kymon is really difficult and gives me a lot of deaths on my 1st ultimate encounter with him. i found that lava pillars are more dangerous than kymon itself, because its debuffs and dots will make sure kymon’s combos are deadlier.
but eventually, i found the sweet spots to avoid the lava pillars. just hug the northern walls. and facetank kymon (i play melee 2h ultos primal striker warder). i have pots, adcth, ghouls, and menhir’s bastion relic for panic buttons. having a lot of defense is the key for this battle. for kiters, it’ll be harder, since you have to jump-hug walls to walls to avoid the lava pillars.

2 Likes

Yeah. The fire pillars are very dangerous. If HC it is safest to just disengage and kite until fire pillars change location then engage. I typically try to save potion for when the pillars move as a safety net. The molten bombs move hits many times in rapid succession and does crazy damage if you don’t dodge. It happens every so often and is easy enough to dodge.

Thx for the tips. I guess I may check it on softcore with one of my expendable guys. I like to play “semi hardcore” and keep 0 death counter with my “serious” guys.

Don’t forget that Kymon has a fair amount of RR, so if you haven’t overcapped fire resist then drink a tonic or two. Otherwise, I’ve found him to be quite a pain simply because the room is so cramped, and the area that his fire pillars take up are ambiguous.

Well, that was way easier than I expected.

1st round, I popped the Aether Cluster and DPSed him. At 12th second mark he was at 50% HP.

Then I started to kite. The key thing to remember is that it’s those damn flames that are deadly (getting in the middle of one would reduce my HP by half! from 18k to 9k lol), not Kymon himself. The flames are actually following a set pattern and are fairly easy to dodge, it goes like this: outer circle -> inner circle -> left side -> right side -> “cross” and then it repeats. All you have to do is to remember this while kiting.

My original idea was to kite him until my aether cluster is available again, but when I was about to attack him, he died. Lol! Guess the damage from blade spirits + Rattosh + revenant skeletons was actually big enough to shave his remaining 50% HP during my kiting.

Kymon would hit me occasionally by his jump (annoying during the "outer’ and “cross” phases as you need to run around close to the center and he can jump through the gap in the middle to surprise you) but he didn’t exceed 50% of my HP in damage.

Off to kill korvaak, thanks for all the tips.

2 Likes

Good game and thank you for the strategy ! it will be useful !

Well now, that wasn’t so hard, was it? :wink:

I had to panic quit once against Korvaak actually with 2k HP left. I got careless and he smacked me with meteor+charge+orbs! but the second attempt was flawless. Finished him up under the effect of Aether Cluster just to be sure.

3 Likes