About to get a new PC, can you help me with parts?

I went to a local store to get a new PC and the guy there recommended me this config. I just want to know if its a good config. or the guy is just trying to sell me some shit in between good parts.

Intel I7 8700K 3.7GHz LGA1151

Water Coller Corsair Hydro H80i V2

GeForce GTX 1060 Asus OC 6Gb

Gigabyte AORUS Z370M DDR4 LGA1151

8Gb RAM Patriot Viper 2400MHz

HD 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB Sata3

Corsair 600W VS600

This PC is not to play GD only, actually whats driving to get a new PC is that a few new games coming out, eg Kingdom Come and Warhammer 2, are really showing how old my setup is.

Thanks guys.

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) Plus usando Tapatalk

Not much to say about the config. It’s a good one with good parts.
Although, you can improve it by replacing the cpu radiator and the power supply, and adding a SSD.

For the radiator, it’s better to use air cooling than AIO water cooling because you will get better performance with less noice (water pump is not silent) for cheaper. The good AIO WC are really expensive. They are the best solution only with small cases as the air flow is more disrupted and massive radiators don’t fit.
You can look for BeQuiet! or Noctua air cooling solutions to replace.

Replacing the power supply is less useful. But getting a modular one can help with the air flow. Getting one with 80+ gold or platinum is a small plus. You can also get a semi-passsive one, that will stop the fan during low power consumption to reduce noise.
Don’t change if it increases the bill too much.

A SSD if you don’t already have is a great addition. You install softwares, including OS and games, on it and keep other files on a HDD. It will allow faster access to data, loading softwares faster and reducing some freezes in game while textures are loaded from the SSD.

On the other side, if you want to reduce the bill, you can replace the i7-8700k by a i5-8600k. Low impact if you don’t stream your games or use some professional softwares that use the hyperthreading.

You could invest in getting a i7-8700, if you dont plan to overclock, it uses less power and causes less heat.

Memory packs of 16 GB DDR4 shouldnt be too expensive to upgrade to?

Id get also a SSD for the OS and some games.

1060 could be upgraded to 1070 or Ti model perhaps? GPU prices are quite high though, but 1060 is getting outdated already.

It’s really expensive.
It’s better to start with 8GB and wait to see real limitations to upgrade to 16GB. Prices are starting to reduce.

GTX 1060 Ti doesn’t exist.
The choices are mostly 1060 6GB, 1070 (which is sensibly more expensive) or wait for next generation that shoul be released in spring/summer (1170 and 1180 first).

I’ll go down this line by line:

1. Instead of the 8700K, save yourself a $100 and get the 8600K instead.

2. I agree with Peredur on this. A good air cooler is the better option. Look into something like the Noctua NH-U12S, Reeven Justice or even the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo…

3. Any 1060 6GB is fine. But, If you’re planning to play really demanding games like Kingdom Come, you might wanna look long and hard at a 1070/1070ti.

4. What motherboard you pick really comes down to what you intend on doing with it… The Asus Prime Z370-A for $150 is a safe bet. The Gigabyte Z370 AUROS Gaming 5 is also an excellent choice.

5. For RAM, considering the current inflated prices, I’d pick up 8GB of DDR4 3200 and wait till prices come down. Then, once prices have settled, buy an additional 8GB. (RAM speed !IS! starting to become important, so spend the extra $10ish for 3200 speeds instead of that 2400 stuff)

6. Avoid Seagate hard drives!! They are currently the least reliable brand on the market according to various studies. Get either an HGST or Western Digital drive for your “spinner”.

You should seriously consider getting an SSD though. An NVMe drive isn’t really worth the additional cost, so I’d look at either a Samsung 850/860 Evo or a Crucial MX500. Either one at a 500/250 GB capacity will treat you well.

7. Corsair power supplies these days are just “ok”. I’d look at either EVGA or Seasonic. The EVGA Supernova G series is an excellent choice.

I threw together a system for ya:

https://pchound.com/wpI4UB/

And here’s one where I “trimmed the fat” a bit (makes it $200 cheaper):

https://pchound.com/ZbjbS6/

I did not include a video card because of crazy pricing and honestly, you can pick out your own v-card no problem etc…

EDIT: It would really help if you told us your budget…

If you plan on overclocking your system, then the 8700k is fine. If you don’t want to overclock your CPU, then you have absolutely no use for the k series. Just get the 8700.

If you’re going with an i7 8700 CPU and building this with present and future games in mind, don’t settle for 8GB RAM. 16GB is going to be the standard pretty soon and with summer just around the corner, RAM prices will be dropping.

As for the 1060, that’s a pretty weak card for the 8700 and for modern gaming. You’ll want at least a 1070 or better.

By the way, what’s your budget? Are you buying all the parts locally or are you going to be buying them online?

I meant 1070 Ti, not 1060 Ti.
It might be a good idea to wait for the next gen, and then get a mid-priced model.