Acid Albrecht's Aether Ray - Please give us an visual update

Hello again everyone!

In 2020, I posted the idea of creating a visual update to one of the most iconic skills in Grim Dawn - The Albrecht’s Aether Ray, or AAR in short.
Back in the days, when the ray didn’t pierce minions, creatures or anything alike, it was tough to play it. But with its enemy-piercing changes there came… oppurtinities. Big chances to make this skill even greater.
With it came conversion mods that, to this day, makes it one of the most colorful weapons at our disposal.

What I am asking in short: Please give us an visual update on the acid-conversion Aether Ray via the Putric Necklace.

But I want to elaborate on why this topic is special and how it can be down without harming the current and upcoming balance changes of this game and how this ray could be visualized without even adding too much spaghetti code.

First of: The idea on how to make it look is not something fueled by the desire on how to stomp the game. It is merely about the visual update on a non-classic conversion. I do not care about the damage numbers. I do not care about how it plays in the end or if I am able to reach… Shattered Realm 100 with it. I certainly do not.

This is only about the visual design of an acid-converted Aether Ray with an official support, not with mods. And about nothing more.

Here might be an example on how it could look:

!
Normal Ray

Acid Ray / via conversion

This colorscheme, introduced back in the day by non other than Stupid_Dragon himself, had everything I wanted. A simple design, but visualized so clear that it fitted an acid-theme with the ray. And simply done as well, I assume. I am no modder, but changing some color-numbers when condition 1 (Putrid Necklace) is set would be no big deal, I guess.

Let us come to the itemization: The Putrid Necklace has an built-in conversion mod for every Aether-Damage to be Acid instead. These conversion mods come with different flavors. Some can change the Aether to Cold, Fire, Lightning… Conduits are a thing, and the big thing is that the Aether Ray itself is mentioned and then converted, thus applying the color-change we see on screen.

The easiest method would be:

=> Add a line that says: “100% Aether Damage converted to Acid Damagen to Albrecht’s Aether Ray”

With this, we have an conditional setting with the necklace and can cast an Acid-Ray whereever we want. We can also apply this to only be active when Dreeg’s Blood is active, limiting the usefulness of this item to only apply with an Arcanist-Occultist setup. Ergo we don’t have to balance anything around it since the original usefulness of the item is not changed at all. Only the visualized Ray is, so any gameplay is untouched.

I mentioned it before: in 2020, I made a post not for mme, but for my wife about the Ray. And I only want it to be green with an item that let’s us convert the color-scheme of the Ray to… well, acid-green. I want nothing more. My wife plays the Ray day and night, and she asked me to post about it. We became a couple and then married partners because this game brought us together, and this ain’t a lie. This is a love-story.
So… since she was in hospital and in now in care-taking here with me at home, please. @Zantai. Or whomever reads this.
I asked thee of nothing major. Only a color. So please, if you wouldn’t mind - fulfill this lifelong dream of ours. So we can Ray once again, with one mor color to this world.

Most sincerly,
SinSeven, on behalf of his beloved wife

8 Likes

Hi, I’ve seen you posting about Acid AAR for over a year or more now,
and I also would like to see this become a reality.

8 Likes

Friend, it would mean the world to me and my wife. You have no idea. :smiley:
For a bit over 4 years, if you want to know.
Please, @Zantai or @Stupid_Dragon or Medea… I ask of not much.
It would mean everything to us.

4 Likes

Please, Zantai or Stupid_Dragon or Medea…
regards

3 Likes

It would be like supercool if a mod, be it @Zantai himself, or @Medea_Fleecestealer, @Stupid_Dragon or someone else could state if this idea / plea is something worth considering or not. I have been politely asking for more than 4 years so… it would be much, much appreciated!

Maybe this change (is it one? it is just a color) can be implemented in FoA in the future. I really hope to see it. For my wife.
Who is currently running Crucibles like crazy with me to complete a certain 200k / 250k achievment. :smiley:

The last two. Then we have 100%ed the game.

If someone wants some insights on how many monsters there are slain in certain Crucible or Shattered Realm-levels, let me now, I wrote down the statistics for 2 players for runs.

1 Like

It would be super cool if you could stop tagging me…

1 Like

Will do, good sir.
But the request will remain the same.

1 Like