Acid/poison and -crit damage mod

Just don’t crit, lol.
I’ve heard a rumor about 2600 OA acid build that was able to pass SR90.

5 Likes

Welcome to the non-oathkeeper physical club.

1 Like

Doesn’t actually matter. Crits cannot go below 1.0x. This is simply a display issue of the character sheet.

i know it, the point of my commnent was
OA is useless on acid builds

It is not totally useless, you still want to hit 100 % of the time.

1 Like

Wondering if this is implemented in the game though - that there is a threshold, can anyone confirm that they have gotten crits with less than 1,0 as multiplier?

How do you see the -24%? I see 5%. Or is it with some mutator?.

yeah it is with a mutator

the pic is taken in game

1 Like

Which does not necessarily mean a lower dmg in case of a crit.
Your “normal” crit damage might be around 1,5.
The displayed 24% are getting reduced, leading to 1,26 as a damage multiplier in case of crit.

You always crit for 1.1, 1.2, … (don’t remember exact thresh-holds) even if your OA is 5000
so there should be hits for 1.1 + 5% - 30% [the last is supposed to be mutator]

Example: PTH = 124, 1-89 hits, 90-104 critically hits for 1.1x damage, 105-119 critically hits for 1.2x damage, 120-124 critically hits for 1.3x damage

So usually having a high oa and around 100% crit dmg, I see x3 crit multipliers on the dummies. Meaning my normal crit is around 200%. So -24% would not hurt even with zero extra crit damage. Making a mistake?

But if your original +%crit dmg is 0%, with that mutator you would get -20% crit dmg (or was it -30%?) meaning that lowest possible crit multiplier would be 0,9 (or 0,8)

Read the official guide. It works like in the example I’ve quoted
Your crit multiplier is not a static value. Sometimes it’s 1.1 + crit bonus sometimes it’s 1.5 + crit bonus
This crit bonus from OA is actually pretty bad on average because you very rarely reach 1.5

For example 4000 OA vs 2000 DA is 144 PTH which means (I don’t include stat crit bonus)

• 1-89 hits (62% chance)
  • 90-104 critically hits for 1.1x damage (10% chance)
  • 105-119 critically hits for 1.2x damage (10% chance)
  • 120-129 critically hits for 1.3x damage* (7% chance)
  • 130-134 critically hits for 1.4x Damage (3.5% chance)
  • 135-144 critically hits for 1.5x damage (7% chance)

The average hit is trash, only about 1.10 (weighted average), mostly because probability of normal hits is so high.
That’s why you need stat crit bonus to really benefit from OA

More in Critical Hit Chance, OA and DA table, DPS increase from OA and CHD

Also I don’t think x3 are achievable in this game

@RektbyProtoss This is what I was arguing with Adios on stream once and the Crit tier stuff

3 Likes

It is (just an example)

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2mjOrlV

max base crit = +109%
crit on AAR = 80%
total AAR crit = 189%

add this to PTH crit

2 Likes

Acid is retarded like that. Seals of Blight and Hawk+Candle for Spider, also Pestilence of Dreeg and Nidalla relic solve the issue at the cost of some flat, attack speed and a few skill points.

Easiest way to hit high multipliers like this is on specific skills like AAR or Grenado with their huge built-in crit boosts like malawiglenn showcased.

Pets also can hit pretty high crit modifiers going as high as x4 with sky high OA values (typically in the area of 3-5k).

On topic, I’ve also had Acid/Poison builds struggle with crit damage in the past. Though, melee versions do get a lot of flat damage they can put out and Acid/Poison builds in general are comfortably able to take several offensive devotions (including 2 T3s), tons of gear procs so still have a lot of raw damage going for them, even if without crit mods.

2 Likes

Yea we had this argument several times by now :rofl:

Indeed, but don’t forget that it’s additive and thus kinda has diminishing returns, just like %damage mods become less important after ~2k% damage than before 2k%.

They always gets less important because of their additiave nature

but +2k% dmg is not mega-hard to accomplish without sacrificing survival etc

Well yea exactly my point :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.