Actual Resist Reduction formula

Honestly, while this is quite a major find, I don’t think it’ll turn into any sort of a new meta. If anything, I consider % reduced resistance working before flat to be a disadvantage compared to what we were used to believe. Main usage of % type is boosting RR once you push enemy resistances into negatives, and with % working before flat it just doesn’t boost the flat part like we thought it would.

Suddenly my -170% lighting resist reduction Stun Jacks Purifier feels sad.

Basically this. RR is going to stay about as desirable as ever. There’s not likely to be a change in meta for building offenses because characters already touch all bases (crit, RR, raw damage) to extreme enough degrees that there’s no real reason to trade, say, 25 nonstacking RR for 0.1% more crit chance.

Edit: Double negative.

Edit 2: Also, multiplicative RR is so rare and only affects Elemental damage types unless you want to sacrifice a weapon Augment/affix for an unreliable chance of proc’ing it, and only for %WD builds. Point being, the number of builds that are actually impacted by this discovery at all are by far a minority.

It depends on what you consider valuable because of the nature of how %RR works; if monster res has been reduced by -% RR to 0 or close to 0 then %RR will do nothing/very little. You need to decide at what point you consider %RR to be useful, e.g if I’ve reduced monster res to 30% so the 20% RR will reduce it further by 6 and anything less I don’t consider worthwhile.

The next logical consideration is what monsters will my %RR do nothing/very little for (because I’ve reduced their res to 0/close to 0, and this is much more common occurrence now given revelation that order is not as previously thought). Calculate your -%RR and use grimtools monster database to see boss res. Eg. fire purifier vs sharzul: sharzul has 118 fire res, puri has -100% fire rr = oh no viper only reduces res by a further 3.6 :(. On the other hand fire commando only has -75% fire rr = yay viper reduces res by a further 8.6 (more of an impact to dps considering damage penalty from res is almost eliminated after ele storm flat RR applied).

My basic rule is that viper/ultos %RR are less effective on class which have 2 sources of -%RR from masteries.

Huge reduction total you have there. Sure you are impacted by this, but only if you go after Mog or Ravager. For everything else viper/ultos is still useful because lightning res on nemesis and boss is not that high relative to your -%RR.

Only two major enemies outside of those two with very high lightning res are Valdaran and Lokarr. And think the final Bourbon Clone.

you still get around 8-9 extra res reduction against those guys with ultos proc.

You really consider the actual order to be disadvantageous? It may mean that top tier/meta builds have approx 7 less extra RR from viper/ultos as it occurs before ele storm is applied but do top tier/meta builds need to be even further ahead than class combo that only have one -%RR source from masteries? Hell no imo; changing order would unnecessarily increase damage on already powerful classes.

This is probably one of the most confusing quotes I’ve read in months.

I was meant to quote Stupid Dragon’s comment about the discovered actual order being less advantageous than people previously thought. My point was just that the power gap between builds only widens with %RR being last in the order.

It’s a disadvantage from the point of view of applying % rr mechanic. Whether it’s good or bad for the game is another question entirely. I for one think that we have a little too many types of rr, and % type is the odd one.

1 Like

Yeah, I am an idiot for not realising that is what you meant… sorry!

Dummies have 12% cold resist on Elite and 18% cold resist on Ultimate. Was the test conducted on Normal/Veteran or was the dummy custom modded to have 0% cold resist? Just making sure. :wink:

OFF have nominal 178 dmg and deal 178 dmg to dummy. Does i really need answer your question?

It’d just be helpful to anyone who wants to repeat your experiment to know that it should be done on Normal/Veteran. That’s all. This is supposed to be science, right? :wink:

Ok, I made it on Normal. But it doesn’t matter: 0 resist is a 0 resist

Thank you for this work. Really appreciated.

Just curious: is it possible to make tests like this in PvP mode? Would not it be easier with the target’s char sheet open?

I´m too stupid to use this formula. :cry:

Example:
Enemy has 100 % Bleeding Resist.

1. 32 % Rend + 44 % Devouring Swarm = 76 % (Y)
  2. 10 % Mythical Open Hand of Mercy = 10 % (Z)
  3. 10 % Terrify = 10 % (X)

Result? 13,42 % can´t be right…

Sure it’s easier, but still require players coordination. I so lazy to find assistant)

Not sure why You have 64% on Devouring Swarm and don’t remember what is terrify, but whis that digits final resist will be:

(100-(32+64))*0.9-10=-6.4

If you still have 44% Devouring Swarm it will be:

(100-(32+44))*0.9-10=11.6

It was 44 % Devouring Swarm…clumsy fingers.

Thank you. Hm, with Open Hand of Mercy it is only more 2,4 % RR…