Actual Resist Reduction formula

can you calculate damage for this?

I have 1000 vit damage, enemy has 100% vit res.

also I have: 1) devouring sworm -60% vit res
2) will of rattosh -25% vit res
3) acid spray 25 reduced targets res

what will be dealt damage?
if I had no acid spray or will of rattosh, difference little or not?

If I’m not mistaken, then it’ll be :
Enemy resist goes from 100% to 15% (additive -85% resist)
Then it goes to -10% (flat 25 resist reduction)

You deal 1100 Vitality damage.

In short, you take every single -% RR you can, and the highest - RR you can afford.

Real challenge is including % Resist Reduction, like in Viper and Ultos, but it’s pretty rare.

In your example, Will of Rattosh and Acid Spray have the same impact, but if you have another source of flat - RR, like Agonizing Flames in Demo, or Foul Eruption in Necro, you can skip it.

You’d deal 10% increased damage. If you didn’t have AS and WoR, you’d deal only 60% of your damage.

Devouring Swarm and Will of Rattosh have the same RR, which is actually a negative bonus to resistances (to be exact, it’s a buff, but has negative effect, so it’s a debuff), which goes first. Acid Spray is the actual RR here, which is not different at all from the one DS or WoR have, it’s just worded differently and works differently in game, but results are the same as with Devouring Swarm or Will of Rattosh.

As said above:

Acid spray and will of rattosh have an equal contribution in this case. So, if you have not at least one of them, you will deal 85% or 850 flat dmg.

I literally explained it, so idk why you even said this.

May be because you did not show damage values

Yo since im busting my head over this ._.
Which ones of these dont stack?

Open Hand of Mercy -12% target resistances
Raging Tempest -40% elemental resistances
Viper -20% elemental resistances
Arcane Bomb -35% lightning/aether resistances
Elemental Storm -32 target elemental resistances
Hand of Ultos -25% elemental resistances

Such a mess i got here

1. -X% resistance do stack (Arcane Bomb, Ultos, Raging Tempest) = everything is added;
  2. -% target do not stack (Open Ring, Viper) = the highest one wins;
  3. flat resistance do not stack (elemental storm + agonizing flames for instance)= the highest one wins;

1, 2 and 3 do stack.

Edit: in your case everything will be up but for Open Ring that will proc if Viper isn’t (regarding elemental resistances as I suppose it’s a lightning build)

From above elemental storm doesn’t stack with open hand of mercy,both are sources of flat RR,Viper and Ultos again not stacking.If all happened at same time elemental storm and Ultos are with priority.Arcane bomb and Raging tempest are source of -x% resistances from all of these sources are stackable.Edit got second here:p

Thank you for your posts guys very helpful!

See thats whats bothering me. Viper and ultos do not stack i understand for the priority.
Sigh still confusing tbh. I recall there a very good excel somewhere show which do and di not stack
Im thinking droping ultos in favor of spear

thank you boys very much…

I think I have interesting build, but it is not uploaded to youtube or in base of build compendium yet, now I have pc problems and when I repare it, I’ll upload.

when you see this build, you understand why it is made by stash.

then your assess will be interesting…

Open hand of mercy isn’t flat reduction btw iirc. It’s a percentage value, so it does not stack with Ultos / Viper anyway.

Not sure if this will help (it helped me), but it’s based on how the resist reduction is worded:

1. if it DOES NOT have the word “Reduced” in its description, it stacks with others of the same type, and it CAN result in a negative number.
    Ex. “-30% Chaos Resistance” and “-25% Chaos Resistance” on different gear pieces would stack resulting in “-55% Chaos Resist”

2. If it DOES have the word “Reduced” in its description AND a percentage%, then it doesn’t stack, and highest one is taken, and this CANNOT result in a negative number.
    Ex. “20% Reduced targets elemental resistances for 5 seconds”

3. if it DOES have the word “Reduced” in it’s description but NOT a percentage, then it doesn’t stack, highest one is taken, and this CAN result in a negative number.
    Ex. "21 Reduced targets resistances for 5 seconds).

The total of #1 is applied to the resist first. then the highest from #2 is applied to whats left (if it’s positive). then the highest of #3 is applied whether it’s positive or not.

EDIT: oh and on the subject of Open hand of Mercy, checked mine and it reads, “10% reduced Targets Resistances for 2 seconds” so it falls into category 2 up there, so Djnat is correct.

That sums it up nicely temjiu.

A condensed version based upon all this would be:

Gobble up as much rr debuffs of type 1 (-%, no “reduced”) as you humanly can and get one (preferably the highest ofc) source of the other two. All while not starving your build of other valuable stats.

I always keep in mind:

• pick only ONE “reduced %”
  • pick only ONE “reduced flat”
  • the “-% resist” stack.
1 Like

Can we pin this under guides/tutorials?

Best R.R. guide.

This is the simplest explanation

Simple and the best explanation to know :point_up:

Thank you. Goes, btw, for everything.
Also OA/DA shred and “enemy damage reduction”.
There´s no source of the latter with “-%”, so effectively you can only chose one single source (Battle cry OR Empyrion OR Kymon´s Augment OR Dark One Gloves, etc.)

There are 3 types of Resistance Reduction(rr) : -%rr, rr & %rr.
Sources of “-%rr” stack while the highest “rr” and “%rr” gets counted instead.
“-%rr” stacks additively with “rr” and they both stack multiplicatively with “%rr”

- @maya The Carnival - A Guide to Pets