Adding "rainbow filter" to the game would be nice

since the game has been getting a lot of QOL improvements (many of which came from mods) i’d like to suggest “rainbow filter”

items in this game have so many affixes that it can be fatiguing to read through all of them, and the different colors makes it a lot easier to have an idea of what the item gives at a glance

2 Likes

Devs have said time and time again they’re not adding it to the game.

i remember someone mentioning that the devs would never extend the duration of “blood of dreeg” and “pneumatic burst”, yet here we are

1 Like

Absolutely not, I can’t stand the rainbow filter. This isn’t a qol change.

5 Likes

Toggle option in the settings then?

2 Likes

It is not necessary, if someone wants it, install the mod and that’s it

2 Likes

A lot of things are not “necessary” and yet they’re still in the game. Adding an optional basic function for better readability wouldn’t hurt anyone and would help more people than anything. Really an odd thing to be against honestly.

People (and the devs themselves) have said that those buffs will never be permanent, not that their duration should be extended.

Yeah i agree and it also took quite a hit for my motivation for playing it on Xbox because on that. Because some people can high and mighty drop that argument for PC “just mod it” but on Xbox you’re simply just screwed then. And i really tried to get used to the old days again … (then again in my perception in basegame / early access days stats weren’t as bloated as today).

Plus i find it kinda odd, considering on a dev context, because for coding tools and such it’s nowdays (at my knowledge) quite common that syntax it’s colorized, because it makes certain stuff more readable… but in a Game like GD where you have shitton of different Attributes the value of them being colorized so it’s better readable for the players is dismissed, really? I mean i’m not asking and going full rainbow on the Item-Names because now with the Symbols with have a better solution for that as well, but atleast give the basic concepts of stats different color (like different firestats these orange and for cold blue or so).

I mean if you look back at my history and such, i rarely complain(as context before people jump on me as hater or so), but this really is quite an issue to me(another one might be the loyalist packs for console as well, but given the circumstances right now i’m not even sure if i really need them anymore). And that people are so overly against it - for an optional feature adds quite a fuel to the frustration. And in all honesty, at time as like these i really lose the motivation to even consider to buy the expansion. (and that’s not meant as threat, just stating how i feel about it… when i hardly find now the motivation for, it won’t magically change because the Expansion drops, might even be worse because you can expect even more variety in items bloated with stats…)

Good for you, but if it’s optional it shouldn’t matter to you. And yes it is, like i mentioned - in developing / coding they also do syntax colorized. Why? Because it makes it more readable. And esp. for a game like GD where it’s bloated with stats and such (which in itself isn’t bad - don’t take it wrong) it definitely is a quality of life feature to make it more readable.

If so, than it might be really good time for me to move on to other Games, because like i said, i can right now for a while just play on Xbox and that geniunly kills my mood and the fun of the game. I mean there might be still “hope” - cause i’d say Crate did sometimes reconsidered stuff, like adding some stuff from Grim Internals… or their “last update” comment, but oh well. Might uninstall the game for now (to free up space i always struggle on that regard) and check out a few updates down the road (or once i get a new pc which can take a few years)… good start in 2024, which by the way - i wish everybody a happy new year. Imma heading out of here.

4 Likes

Therein lies your problem. :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t care that much for Rainbow now, because MIs have a symbol.
But if we got loot beams (that I don’t remember anybody requesting), then I don’t see why not Rainbow. As an option, obviously.

1 Like

It just looks silly more than anything else. I don’t understand the desire for different colored text to distinguish between double rares, etc. One thing that might be more help is using similar reasonably sized icons like what we have on our character resistance info and character skills in the item info since it is quicker for individuals to interpret an icon than it is to read a group of words. The only drawback I could see from it is that it would take some time to get accustomed to identifying the icons.

i legit think that’s been a good case for incorporating xyz QoL feature.
Sure devs have their vision, so actual gameplay stuff (gi teleports speed etc) obv doesn’t have to be factored in for that. But things that are only “cosmetic” features like rainbow then seems like it doesn’t really have a good reason to not be made an optimal feature, since these players just straight up can’t tweak the game how they feel it needs.
Unironically i also think Xbox presents the best argument for why stash might deserve to be expanded a bit, simply because Xbox has 0 other means to service the hoarders, fighting both stash limit/no mods and the 50 char limit that then impacts mules for the “hardcore” hoarders that do use mules.

1 Like

Less for seeing double rares and more to not see a gigantic wall of gray text when viewing item stats.

Having easily readable, color coded text for different stats and stat types makes it a lot simpler to both view and understand what an item affects, and at least personally causes less eye strain.

I’m a PC player myself so i just use the mod, but I think it would be neat to have the option on consoles for those who care. For those who don’t… They can continue to ignore it.

5 Likes

First of all geniune thanks, i kinda feared that people might jump at me, this does already help a bit and took off a bit of my frustration. As much as i respect @medea_fleecestealer for all the work she has done for the community and such in the past, if you’re long enough in the forum - especially since early access you know (before discourse was a thing and we had the old forum) you know how much effort she puts in here. But her wording in this regard really rubbed me the wrong way because it feels like “don’t dare” / “don’t bother” to “ask”… which is weird to me because i was always under the assumption and that’s one of the biggest strenght for this community, as long as people aren’t totally ahole about something, it’s okay to have suggestion & express your feedback & wishes. And also under my perceptio, they’ve proven over and over again that the might also reconsider certain stuff & featueres over time, (like as example i remember the days where they didn’t want to implement Grim Internals stuff, and now we are here - after “the last patch”; after the “last expansion”) or introduce it their own way / with own twists. And it’s (still) annoys me, when people are against stuff, just for the sake of it because they don’t like it, but which are completly optional and don’t effect the game in any negative way whatsoever. If it would be debate around stashsize than i’d totally understand this stance, because that can effect players in a negative way, like hoarders who mindlessly throw stuff into the stash but than lose the motivation for it because it’s so bloated and they lose interest in it. But (i’d argue) Rainbowfilters doesn’t fall into this category, it’s “just” a small QoL, which can still have a huge positive impact for people. And yes it is. (And if Zantai or other members of the team find i’m wrong in this one, and i miss potentially something where they can point me at that a toggable rainbowfilter will have a (potential) negative impact for the players in a way, or ruins the gameplay-experience in a way. I mean even if there is no good reason to not implement it, it doesn’t mean devs are forced too and should just do it, it’s their game and vision, do whatever you want… but people here and in the past make it sound that adding an optional rainbow-filter option is the worst thing possible and devs have a clear stance against it, so i’d like to hear the reasoning of it if there is any concern outside of just not wanting to implementing it / doesn fit their vision).

Secondly because i also get the feeling there is some sort of misconception here and people (like @TheSliverOfHealth) actually mistake what most of us (rainbow-filter “fans”) actually ask for, let me break down what Rainbow-Filter actually does. It have two MAJOR “Features”.

1. Is the “Colorized” Affix-rarities on Itemnames, on both when they drop on the ground but also Inventory. And that’s where i even agree with people, that’s one of the things i myself never liked much, it was a neccessity if you wanted an easier way to know if it’s doublerares or not, but there are better ways for it, as Crate has proven with the last update already. They adressed this issue and the symbols are much better and more clean.

2. In the Tooltops/Item-Description, Stat-types and Stat-cagetories get highlighted with their own color. Like as example - Fire-related Stats get highlighted in some sort of orang’ish / red’ish, or Cold in some brighter blue’ish color. Also if i remember correctly, full rainbow did even go a step further and made some differination between the different types within the same category - so like you’re having two different fire-related stat-types - one might have a bit darker or brighter shade. But that’s not neccessary to add this in this way and i can see potentially that this might tooltips a bit bloated in colors, just give us different colors for basic/greater categories. And why does this matter / be such an impactfull QoL?

Well, i’d argue especially this Genre, a huge deal of the gameplay-experience is building up your character, and part of that is Items. Especially itemisatzion being done well, can have a huge impact… and i’d argue in that regard itself Grim Dawn is one of the best on the market. I hardly see any Game, esp. where Loot is pretty much generated / randomly dropped and not spread across more defined (like Souls where you find a zweihänder and that place [and there exist only a sinlge one of this] or a bow on that spot) and you have to compare thousands of different items, it’s pretty easy to fail at and loot is boring and uninspiring or don’t give any real value to that. But GD (again as i’d argue) nailed it pretty much, even different rarities have their value across the board, also something which alot of games “fail” (if you wanna call it that way) at, cause on them the highest rarities are the best items and everything else fall flat. GD even greens or more specific double rares can be some of the strongest items in the game, meanwhile legendaries offer more specific stuff for specific directions and builds… and blue fill in the gap.

So looting, comparing loot, managing your inventory isn’t just nothing, it’s part of the Gameplay experience. The excitement to compare loot or look at loot you get, decding do you keep it - maybe for another character with a different build, or do you sell it. Its a vital part of tinkering with your character. BUT when comparing stats and stuff, becomes painfull or a strain for your eyes, especially for a game which can be so bloated on stats (again not a bad thing itself) and creates this weird grey’ish blob to read through → than it can effects this experience negatively and lowers the fun and excitement of it, and by thus also kills a bit of the fun of building. Because if i’m at a point - only because it’s frustrating to read through all the bloated text because i can’t identitfy on the first glance easily and smoothly what an item does, or find & focus on the stuff that i need, → that it leads me to the point where i often just sell stuff before i compare 100 different items every time i run to the shop (plus filter enabled so not that you think i just pick up every trash) → than this becomes a problem, because it takes (the quality) away a vital part of the experience and by this is also why it is a Quality of Life feature.

And i recently started(or atleast try to) go into Developing myself (wish me luck, i might need it), that’s why i also come up with the comparison. The fact that syntax and stuff is highlighted in colors kinda shows, how helpfull and impactfull colorizing specific stuff in text can have a huge positive impact. Now some people might argue “yes but y’know developing is much more complex and such, there you need it”… ← That’s exactly my point. At this Moment, if i would look at a few line of codes, i’d argue me - despite not migh teven knowing what it actually does or even understand it, would’ve an easier time to read through it and identify the stuff. And it musn’t even the same colorset as the standart VS Code use, just that certain stuff is highlight can help me to see: Oh this should be a variable, oh this should be function… oh this should be a conditioner. IMAGINE - you can have an easier time to read through codes of lines, which you might not understand or what it does, than in a Videogame Tooltips for stats.

I acknowledge that not everyone feels that way or would profit from it. I mean esp. back in the days this stuff wasn’t highlighted either and devs got through it without it. And i also accept (doesn’t mean though i shut up about it or express my suggestion and feedback on it - atleast as long as i’m invested in the game) if devs just don’t wanna do it. But don’t be so dismissive about it, take a step back and look at it objectively. People (i exclude devs for this example) who are much more clever than us, which do this as a job to make an easier life for other people, that’s why text-formatting, layout, properly done UI and such just exist… and that’s why there are some people who thought → hey colorizing vital parts like syntax… can massively improve the experience and help for the workflow of devs. But for games it just to be ignored or dismissed for whatever reason…

You make a fun-matter of it, but i actually would partly admit. Atleast i wouldn’t have a headache about it as much as i do since recently starting on the console. I mean don’t get me wrong, they’ve done a pretty great job to porting it over to console, like you have to keep in mind, this is actually an PC Game, specifically build for pc, and it works, in terms of controls and such. Heck, (and please don’t let make us a complete topic out of it) if i look at Diablo 4 - which had Gamepad in mind, there are some areas where i personally find GD surpass D4. Like as example inventory-management. I don’t understand why - esp. for console players devs always think it’s in their best interest to take player-agency completly away. I just f**** want to manually sort my inventory/stash. Or - i don’t know why this exist, i just don’t - why is in a diablo-like game a freaking Auto-Aim Function, esp. if you have already a target-lock function. How often i miss a group of enemies with my barbarian shockwave attack because there is a little sh*t which comes from the side so my barb centers automatically towards this fellow and i basically waste my skill on the wall is just… riddiculus. (and mouse & keybord support is neglected like most of the time, even despite all the effort microsoft and sony put into at the ps4/xbox gen to add this feature natively. And esp. i ncase of D4 which is crossplay i just don’t see why this isn’t a thing).

But anywawy - overall great port, but at some areas it still feels like an afterthought. LIke we don’t even have the option to throw more money at them because the loyalist packs doesn’t exist. 4K or atleast 1440p… and so on. I mean i guess atleast for the latter one - it might also factor in how well the game sold on console and if it justify the extra effort put in. But comeone - the rainbow filters…

I agree on that.

Also agree, if it’s something really gameplay-altering i also see their reason. Same with - which i’ll come to → Stash. But actual QoL Stuff, which doesn’t impact players in any negative way but part of your playerbase profit just positevly… i mean in the end it’s there decision and the reason issue with i’ve with this topic is about 1 mod which basically just say “don’t ask for this”… which is really wild to me. And than people who are strictly against it for the sake of it.

That’s how i see it as well. I would understand if it’s forced, it should be a opt-in thing. And yes, especially in these example it can be frustrating to be a console player. It might sound “weird” but i can deal better (on xbox right now) with the fact that i can’t play total conversions like the Diablo 2 mod, than some QoL Stuff like the rainbow filter, because in Reign of terror i just miss out on an extra-thing… and i still have GD itself which have quite alot of content (and quality one) - the otherone directly effects my experience with said content…

Kinda i guess. I mean you’re right in that regard, that PC right now have the best situation for this right now, because Crate can keep their vision/decision intact, in which they want to limit players for their own good, because if unlimited inventory is given to players out of box, i can see that there are way to many people, which just mindlessly throw anything in, than after awhile to get back and sort / look through it and than lose the interest and motivation because just too much stuff. LIke my big sister which i play D4 with - and you have to keep in mind D4 has only 5 stashtabs and they’re rather small, have to sort out her stash regularly because she just throw every sh*t in. There are times where she geniunly is frustrated because of that, say - “well next time we play i need to go 30 minutes or so on earlier to sort this out” → and than complain too few stashtabs and i’m like: I mean yes i agree, D4 has one of the worst stashes in the whole genre… like only 5 small stahstabs and they are also shared… like GD is in that so much better because you can split up the stuff specific for your character/class and stuff you want transfer / share. BUT considering how she hoards items it wouldn’t help if she have 5 or 20 - because than she would’ve 20 tabs with trash instead of 5 - and then she would have 2 hours before we play together. And if you sit 2 hours on stash i can pretty much imagine that’s then a breaking point. I mean why do you need 5x the same unique? Throw 4 of them away - because 1x is all you need.

Anyway i can see that issue, and the thing is (so to the second point) - now you can say “gd stash” or “bank-characters” which is true, you might also have people who fall into this pit… but i’d say due you need to put more effort in it, it’s more of an concious thing which means, these people are more likely to sort out items they need and won’t need. Because Hoarder =/= hoarder…

So about the Xbox-Argument i can see a merit if they would give us a “few more” tabs… but they still shouldn’t overdo it imho. What i’m actually more interested and i’m pretty sure Zantai mentioned this in the stream back than, that they’ve an idea / might potentially add stashtabs, which have fixed slots in it where you store components and materials and such away… which would already have a huge impact imho - and much better implementation. That and maybe 1-2 new tabs (on each private and shared) and i’d say GD might be on a good spot, though it also might matter how much items we’ll get in the expac.

Exactly. And perfect wording with the eye strain, sorry to borrow this for my argument.

I mean if Crate comes around the corner, like they did with the symbols, and find a better way to visualize itemstats and make it so more readable, than i’m all up for it and wouldn’t even surprised. But my guess is, that color-highlighting in this regard is just the easiest, but also best solution. I mean just imagine they would add icons/symbols for stats, that would clutter the whole tooltip and they’re already long enough.

1 Like

Sorry if my wording rubbed you up the wrong way LightningYu, it wasn’t meant to. But adding GI and Rainbow to the game has been asked for before and rejected by the devs over the years. I can only say what I know of the situation at the time.

I think the point that’s missing here is that Grim Internals is no longer being supported by its creator. Crate know how popular both tools are with many in the community; the fact that one of these wouldn’t be viable going forward probably prompted them to consider added some of GI’s features to the game - which is what they’ve done. And a new tool is providing some of the GI features that Crate didn’t add to the game. Rainbow however is still be supported and updated so people who want to use it can still do so. If it wasn’t for this change with GI I don’t think we’d be seeing some of its features in GD now.

Can things change? Sure. We’re getting a 3rd expansion when we long thought Forgotten Gods was it. The game has some features from GI now. We can skip difficulties, etc, all things that initially seemed to be set in stone and wouldn’t happen. Whether Crate would add something like Rainbow if/when in the future that tool is no longer supported only they can decide.

1 Like

Definitely understand that since Rainbow Filter is a supported mod that maybe it doesn’t need to be added, but I agree with the OP, definitely some effort should be made in the future or the next game to color the items better. I’m a new player and the only reason I know about MI’s is from reading people talk about them. Other than that I wouldn’t even know what an MI is. Luckily Rainbow makes the, easily identifiable.

So, I’m definitely on board with baking Rainbow Filter in the game.

i would add, like suggested earlier here, it should be an optional setting
personally i find rainbow filter to be an absolute eyesore :sweat_smile: so naturally dont’ use it/prefer the default interface - and options are good, who doesn’t like more options

1 Like

Yeah, optional would be great!

1 Like