Adding starter items to new characters

Howdy!

I’ve been trying to add a couple more items to new characters on my mod, and I can’t seem to get them to work.
What I’ve done:

1. Modify malepc01 and femalepc01.dbr and add items to initialequipment/misc with appropriate chances
  2. Build mod, test - no dice

Upon further testing, I wiped the game off my HD and did a fresh install, and I noticed new characters aren’t even getting the 3 health pots on creation that are in the original file setup.

Is something else messed up in my system, or could that be a bug?

Cheers,

Did you select custom game as your game mode, and choose your mod?

Yup, and also tested on normal campaign - no pots in there as I thought there would be

Well, it works for me so I don’t know what the issue could be.

Just add the item to the slot, add the weight, add the chance, build your changes and load the mod.

Yeah this is a little bizarre - I’ve tried everything I could think of (even completely unrelated):

• all combinations of cloud saves on steam and in-game
  • deleted mygames/saved folders
  • added and removed x64 flags from game launcher
  • pre-selected my mod, main campaign and crucible modes (latter 2 on fresh installs before even unpacking files on Asset Manager) before creating new character

Regardless of what I did, in no circumstance the character received the 3 pots, but all other starter items loaded successfully.

Edit: If you by any chance have a malepc01 or femalepc01 dbr that has any modifications that work for you, could you please share them? I’m at my wits end here, lol!

Creating new characters on 1.1.9.1 does not seem to spawn misc items in inventory slots (including the 3 default health potions). What I’ve tried:

• all combinations of cloud saves on steam and in-game
  • deleted mygames/saved folders
  • added and removed x64 flags from game launcher
  • pre-selected my own mod, main campaign and crucible modes (latter 2 on fresh installs before even unpacking files on Asset Manager) before creating new character
  • verified integrity of game files on Steam
  • ran repair tool with all settings enabled

Regardless of what I did, in no circumstance the character (male or female) received the any misc items (including the default 3 health potions), but all other starter items loaded successfully. Included pic of male pc dbr setup (no mod selected, fresh install after unpacking files).

Items have never spawned in your inventory at the start of the game, including health potions; it’s completely empty. The only things you start with are what you’e wearing and carrying in your hands; your clothing, a weapon and a shield. Nothing else.

Perhaps this should give you a clue what OP is trying to make: Adding starter items to new characters

in the GD community league, new made chars starts with items in their inventory so it is should be able to be done

This is not a bug.

That functionality does not exist for the PC.

For future reference, the bug reporting forum is for issues with the base game, not with mods.

Sorry for the misfiled bug Zantai, and thanks everyone for your responses!

@Ulvar1, thanks for the reference to the GD league - looking at the file structure, I can see that it’s probably done using LUA, which I hadn’t thought of yet. I’ll go take a look at the basics and try to figure something out :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

Tutorial Video on Modding
Grim Dawn Modding Equipment Creation +4 Flame Mace

This might help. What you are specifically referring to is not just creating new equipment, but applying it to a brand new character. That specifically may not be covered here, but hope that helps a bit anyway.