Alkamos purple rings in 2019

While I wouldn’t say no to buffing alk rings it’s not the right approach if your intent is to prop up breaker and reaper. If you improve the bis generalist option it doesn’t narrow the gap, just shunts all cold builds up.

I tried to use this ring with Cold DE Reaper.
As you have pointed out, my proposal is not enough to cover the weaknesses of Reaper / Spellbreaker, but it is not without any benefits.
By increasing the amount of damage reduction, you can save points by dropping RE / Dekay. Also useful for Spellbreaker.
Also, as Pirece to Cold increases, Bat damage increases.

However, Bis is definitely eternal hunt + myth ice and fire. It is easier to obtain than the Alkamos ring and has good performance.

Purple Alkamos rings have two redeeming features pierce to cold conversion and damage reduction proc. Also have flat damage and bonus to DW melee skills. So they should be used there. I agree n casters Eternal Haunt+Ice and Fire are better. For some casters like PB spamming, best is Nightscorn.

1 Like

Pardon me, am I to read this as “Alkamos rings should be buffed because they underperform on casters when they’re clearly targeted at weapon damage focused builds that can make use of pierce conversion?”

If anything pick something of more narrow relevance to those builds to suggest a buff for. Any tweaks to alk rings affect a lot of builds and some already benefit greatly from the rings’ stats. You’re just buffing cold trickster and cold infiltrator at that point and they certainly don’t need help.

1 Like

Yup. you guys are right.
I wanted another good option, but certainly the cold trickster and cold infiltrator doesn’t need a buff. Thank you for pointing that out.

2 Likes

Alkamos rings is #1 reason why people go GDStash. Fact.

1 Like

Sinister Alkamos (Scythe or Warsword) of Ruthlessness with a murder ring?

But seriously, just copy the conversion to the blues, we’ll all be better off.

No. 1 reason for stashing is the amount of absurd green rolls in build compendium builds :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

which we dont really have other than the green boot any more?..

Alkamos rings are pretty meh for how disgustingly rare they are. You better off band of eternal haunt + Myth song of ice and fire or cry at Kuba.

The rings are basically only BIS on a cold infiltrator because they already have plenty of RR.

It’s not like that!

In Infiltrator you already have damage reduction from Censure. Proc is Godsend for my Rimetongue N&O Saboteur. Also BiS for Blademaster, Reaper and for every single DW Trickster. Basically the pierce to cold conversion, flat cold damage and skill bonuses to DW melee skills makes it bis for cold DW melee. And cold is very popular damage type for melee. Also Alkamos are used in Soulrend builds and in many other places. They’re actually very good. But ofc blue ones are close to their quality.

Soulrend shadow strike i personally dislike using alkamos. Arcanist have no cold RR and if you meet any cold resistant enemies with elemental resist modifier it is gonna make you cry. 110+ cold res on a Kuba and you can pretty much kiss that SR or Crucible run good bye.

RR gets exponentially better if the enemy is resistant to your damage type, that to me wins over any conversion you get from the rings. Also you get very important chaos res on the mythical ice and fire which is difficult to get for some cold builds.

The skill bonuses on it is great if you are duelwield, but if you are not it isnt that special anymore.

A little off-topic question but related to the topic of Alkamos and pierce to cold conversion.

Deathmarked gives 100% pierce to cold to Whirling Death and AQC. Now, 1) does it only affect the flat pierce on those wps? Or 2) does it affect all autoattack dmg when those wps hit (like flat pierce in weapon dmg)?

I’m 95% sure it’s number 2). This kinda affects the effectiveness of stacking pierce to cold on Deathmarked.

I must be ridiculously lucky, because in 20-30 runs I got both rings and two soulrends. But I’m still looking for a decently rolled Alkamos’ Warsword and Zarthuzellan’s Archive, which are the items I’m overall more interested in.

Have Mr. Zantai ever thought about map change for grinding?so that it will make hunting for items more fun and exciting. Cause really running SoT from the rift at Broken Hills takes time. It is not Enigma from diablo 2 that we are using to teleport fast enough. Plus Running SoT even skipping mobs will take also a lot of time. A freaking 400+ runs on SoT before having a glimpse of the Alkamos Purple is a no,no, for a lot of players. I suggest putting the rift somewhere between its current location and SoT. That wat we can have less travel time and more grinding.

1 Like

I second that, even if it makes going back to get the Lutra quest reward longer. Putting it next to the crossroads (the area behind lutra) would be nice, as it’d make even the solael pants runs faster.

(attach for clarity)

you can always use Grim Internals and teleport to SoT :wink:

and you can always gdstash the rings into your inventory or spawn them via dev commands in a custom game. or warpcursor to wherever you want in custom game.

1 Like

its really rng . i have three alkamos anguish rings and not the dread. one run both soulrend and anguish rings dropped lol. looking to trade anguish for dread ( purples not blue ) .

N E C R O M A N C Y /10caps

1 Like