Another Xbox One suggestion - crossplay

I know the team is still working on the Xbox version of GD, but I did want to point something out that would give Crate a chance to jump ahead of everyone in the industry…

Crossplay.

I’m sure you have discussed it, but crossplay has got to be the number one requested feature of all games on all platforms.

If Crate can make this game crossplay between Xbox and PC it will join a very few select games and really bring something unique that nothing else in the category has (PoE, Diablo3, Titanquest, Etc).

Want this game to see huge sales increase? Make crossplay a thing at launch.

That depends more on Microsoft and Valve than it does upon game developers. There’s a reason why “nothing else” in the category does it and it isn’t because game devs don’t want to**. The platforms themselves need to be able to do so - and being able to do so depends on the companies behind those platforms cooperating with each other.

There was this article:

If anything more ever came of that I dunno.

**Note: with the one exception of the possibility of them changing the Xbox version in fundamental ways that might make it incompatible with the PC version. There could be any number of reasons for such changes but the primary reason driving any such change would potentially be if they needed to adjust something (like mob numbers on screen) in order for it to be playable at a decent framerate on Xbox.

Something like that could dictate cross-play feasibility.

There are multiple games with crossplay right now, and Microsoft has made it clear it is up to the game companies as they will absolutely support it in every way. Playstation is the one that has issues.

I’m just saying there are no other action-RPG’s/Diablo style games that are crossplay. The fact that at least 5-10 games do fully support crossplay between xbox and pc shows it absolutely can be done, but I do understand it can be difficult because versions need to align at all times.

I’m simply hoping Crate wants to lead the pack on this and make it happen.

"Do you plan to develop dedicated Xbox One X enhancements and if so, could you share the details with us? What about crossplay between Xbox One and PC?**

We are not planning any enhancements specific to the Xbox One X at this time. Crossplay is not planned either as Grim Dawn is primarily a singleplayer experience.

I will specify, though, since that is a common concern among players whenever a console port is announced, this does not mean we will make balance/gameplay changes on PC to favor the console version. If there is ever a point where we need to adjust monster spawns or anything like that to improve the console experience, such a change would be done independently of the PC version."

Yeah I figured they weren’t looking at crossplay because they do keep saying the game is primarily a single player experience.

It’s too bad because it COULD be such a good coop game if they put just a little more focus in making it more stable online, or add couch coop on xbox.

Also, that scares me because now I am betting they have no plans to add couch coop =(

It’s been asked about a few times, but Crate haven’t said anything about it so far.

Crossplay to me in a game like Grim Dawn scares the hell out of me. :hot_face:

I have seen too many great games decline and get dumbed down to be console playable. I don’t need to name any, but the D…2, Marv…Heroes players know what I am talking about!

Console games are great for quick uncomplicated play for a short time run around and are really focused on and zero in to the attention span of a child. Grim Dawn is in a different league of complexity and is best left to the power of a PC and real RPG players. It is almost like comparing a Noughts and Crosses game to a Chess Tournament.

I know Crate is currently working on a console port, but hopefully they keep it separate and do not compromise the playstyle of the PC version.

Crate has every right to try and expand into the console market, and good luck to them.
I just want them to stay true to real PC based RPG games.

Zantai has already answered this in an interview with WCCFTech in July 2018.

" Do you plan to develop dedicated Xbox One X enhancements and if so, could you share the details with us? What about crossplay between Xbox One and PC?

We are not planning any enhancements specific to the Xbox One X at this time. Crossplay is not planned either as Grim Dawn is primarily a singleplayer experience.

I will specify, though, since that is a common concern among players whenever a console port is announced, this does not mean we will make balance/gameplay changes on PC to favor the console version. If there is ever a point where we need to adjust monster spawns or anything like that to improve the console experience, such a change would be done independently of the PC version."

1 Like

Your worries are needless. Rhis has been working on the Xbox port for a while now and you can thank that work. Because of it we had x64 and DX11 support added as well as the Deferred Rendering performance optimizations that have enabled significant improvements in performance as well as much of the controller support improvements for those who prefer using controller.

Crate has no intention of “dumbing” down the PC version for any reason and they have made this clear multiple times.

1 Like

I understand why playstation don’t want crossplay First.They cater for the east mostly why create something that they don’t need as even with weaker hardware they out sell xbox.Second they know how microsoft works.
I have the right to say microsoft and intel are scaly.I worked with both so i know how they operate.Why do people think i went with amd my whole life?cause they are faster?no because intel are scaly.If they want crossplay for xbox and pc then by all means doesn’t mean i have to support it.

PS:My windows are kit out i don’t use anything microsoft related cept to load in.I will never support xbox because people think a console can actaully beat a pc in gaming.Hell my 1070ti can run games better than any xbox.Only good thing that ever came out of microsoft are Forza Horizon 4