Any Lovecraft fan here?

Just finished reading Call of Cthulhu and was wondering if there’s a reading order for the books?

Google search for the topic didn’t give me anything besides this list

[ul]The nameless city
The festival
The colour out of space
The call of cthulhu
The dunwich horror
The whisperer in darkness
The dreams in the witch house
At the mountains of madness
The shadow over innsmouth
The shadow out of time
The haunter of the dark
The thing on the doorstep
The case of Charles Dexter ward[/ul]

I’ve listened to most of these audio stories on Spotify, there is no continuum. Afaik they are all just several short stories that take place in the same universe. But as I said I haven’t listened to them all, some don’t exist. If you have Spotify I highly recommend them. I’m sure there are other places to listen to them for free but idk where.

Thanks
/10char

I read a few of them some time ago. Don’t think there is a certain order. They are not exactly connected, besides a few references here and there, as far as I remember.

I don’t think there is any particular order.

But I think there are a few series of books with references to the Cthulhu Mythos. When I got my PC repaired I will search for them.

But at the moment I only got my smartphone…:eek:

There’s indeed (many) other writers who wrote in the same mythos, it might be interesting to look around a bit when you run out of Lovecraft’s work.

Thanks guys, since there was no order I ended up reading whatever interested me so went with Mythos books and extended Mythos books - Nyarlathotep, Dagon, Whisper in the Darkness and Haunter in the Dark

@Avyctes No thanks I a purist of sorts so won’t do that. Also from what I read about August Derleth - his simplistic understanding of HPL’s works and wanting to give humanity a fighting chance (Elder Gods) ended up ruining my mood to try other writers. Plus I am taking it slow, HPL left a bunch of books himself. After that I’ll try out works by his colleagues whose creations he used - King of Yellow and the Toad God weren’t OC, so might try their authors

Imo read the shadow over innsmouth, that is one of the more well known hpl stories and probably one of my favorite. Try the thing at the doorstep also. You already read whispers, thats another great one.

I read first few pages of Shadows of Insmouth it had good vibes so I closed it and am saving it for a little later :smiley:

The other I hadn’t heard about so will try it out. Thanks

I also highly recommend The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
not mythos, but a great read!
also supposedly based on HPL’s own dreams…

I’ve read all his stuff when i was 16 then i re-read some novel when i want to. I’m 36 now and i never stopped doing so.

Ps: Books i have ( from the 90’s) ordered all novels chronologically so i followed that order : His early works were more “standard” gothic oriented then he started to invent his pantheon of divinities and all took a “cosmic” dimension.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations guys

I thought Dream Cycle and Cthulhu Cycle are related to expanded mythos. Anyway I will read it.

I read Dunwich Horror and it was pretty good. Probably will start Shadow over Insmouth cause I already started it

“Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth.”

I watched the movie version of Dagon yesterday, awesome!