Any mod to see what killed me?

I found some mention of a tool called ‘Grim Damage’ which shows who killed you and the damage type and amount. However, it is outdated and only works on 32 bit.

Is there any newer mod which does that?

Grim Internals seems like a a possibility, but it has many other features which I don’t use, so I am not too keen on installing a huge mod.

Grim Internals is like 45mb
it’s also not a “mod”, but a tool you run along side the game, meaning it doesn’t affect game files in a way that requires you to run custom game
you can also basically disable every feature box by box that you don’t wish to utilize

1 Like

There is no mod called Grim Damage nor has there ever been to my knowledge. The only one that can show you what you’re asking about is Grim Internals and that particular function (a combat log essentially) can only be accessed if you are playing a Custom game (not the default Main Campaign). This is because Grim Internals achieves this particular feature by making use of the game’s console feature, which can only be accessed in Custom games. Grim Internals page here on the forum actually highlights in its feature list that this function can only be used in Custom.

As gnome notes above Grim Internals isn’t some massive mod. It’s a 3rd party tool of fairly modest size that runs outside the game but hooks into the game’s processes to achieve many of its features. Yes, it has alot of features but all of that can actually be disabled/hidden if you don’t want or need to make use of them.

This is your only option if you want a combat log as noone else has attempted to make it possible.

To easily make a Custom game world that is in reality just the regular base game with no other modifications all you need to do is navigate to GD’s installation folder, find the /mods folder and enter it. If it doesn’t already exist simply create a new folder and name it mods.

Once inside this folder create a new folder. Name it whatever you like, it doesn’t matter. Run the game and select Custom and you should see your custom “mod” you created.

If you want to use existing characters from the Main Campaign in your newly created “mod” this will require extra steps AND tools since the game draws a line between default Main Campaign characters and mod characters and both modes do not have access to each other’s existing character lists.

This step involves 1) cutting the character’s entire save folder from its existing path, 2) creating an appropriate path/new save location for your mod, 3) pasting in your cut character(s), 4) cutting or copying your stash and blueprint files if you want them and putting them in yet another location for mod games 5) install either GD Stash or GD Defiler and run it, load the character(s) you moved in them, find the option for the mod flag and enable it and save your changes.

If you attempt to move characters as described above without also enabling the mod flag on them you will run into issues once you start playing them.

2 Likes

Slight correction to my initial statement above - upon searching I see that Grim Damage does in fact exist and is several years old. It is made by @slipperypete, the author of Item Assistant.

If I was ever aware that he made this I apparently forgot about it.

http://grimdawn.dreamcrash.org/damage/

He notes it is deprecated due to lack of interest but claims it is still fully functional on his nexus page for the tool. Have you at least tried it out to see if still works? If it does then it could easily be a better solution for you than Grim Internals.

Since it’s a 3rd party tool that operates outside the game it really shouldn’t matter at all if it was compiled as x86(32-bit). x64 systems and operating systems can easily run both 32-bit and x64 programs so this shouldn’t be any kind of an issue for you.

I tested the Grim Damage mod, it works only on 32-bit Grim Dawn. However, I play 64-bit Grim Dawn. Some enemies are recorded as ‘unknown’, probably because they are enemies released after 2017 haha.

Thanks for the clarifications Gnomish & powbam!