Anything Diablo 3 does better?

That’s very interesting, do you have any more info on that?

As for other suggestions floating in this thread, I think that the only part in which D3 is superior to GD is the fact that it has some sort of endgame, which allows for truly endless grinding. I think that GD is light years ahead of D3 in the visuals department, and I hope we’ll never see D3-like movement skills in Grim Dawn, I think they’re just awful.

I used to love the Diablo series and Diablo 3 has come a long way since its fail flop initial release. Grim Dawn really has yet to disappoint. this expansion I feel rivals both of Diablo 3’s last two expansions.

I have yet to play Torchlight 2 (it’s installed), but the first one was awesome, really great, simple, straight out fun, and it looks like the second is just bigger and better.

So, on topic, D3 has a more impactful combat, it feels “heavier” and better, I am a lover of musou games (Dynasty/Samurai Warriors), and D3 to me feels like an extension of that, endlessly mowing down demons (enemies) just like I can do on musou games, but with a deeper customization to skills and ways to keep doing that.

On the other hand, while the combat also feels really great on GD, my focus on this game is building my character. I spend more time than I should just thinking on what skills to use, when, how to get there, and trying to keep the build up to date with any new and improved gear that I may get.

I am still a rookie really, about 16 hours only of GD gameplay so far, so I don’t know this game enough to compare more advanced stuff… it’s just incredible, and I felt at home having played Titan Quest.

When Season 12 starts on D3 I’ll play that again, some great changes are coming, and untill then and after that, Grim Dawn it is. A kind person gifted me the Ashes xpac so I’m really happy and looking forward to play more and more.

Do try PoE when you can, it’s not a bad game, I just didn’t find things that I look forward to in an ARPG. Also, it’s free.

The game engine, that’s about it.

I really hated torchlight 2’s armor system, as it is a flat damage reduction. When you on elite NG7+ armor becomes irrelevant as if you dont socket with damage reduction gems, everything in the game one shots you, also those machine gun turrets alone hits harder than all bosses in game.

• Abandoning serial difficulty settings in favour of dynamic player choice
  • Removing stats/attributes/whatever you want to call them as a focus of character building and equipment choice - even if the solution they landed on (the stats still existing even though they’re really just “damage and damage resistance” and “life with another name”) is pretty rubbish
  • Passively summoned minions with active components
  • Even though their different-resources-per-class thing ended up a bit flat overall, there are some bold choices in there, like the necromancer’s corpse skills, and more interesting play around resource consumption in general.
  • Skills that move the player beyond “charging attack” (and skills that move monsters).
  • ZOMBIE BEARS

None of which is to begrudge GD its engine or relative budget of course, but yeah, D3’s a game that I think has a lot of really good ideas spread through it. It’s just that it also has some pretty bad ideas in places, and some of those end up leaving me not really feeling invested in my characters or my progress.

I personally like gameplay dynamics in D3. More fast paced, less stuff autoaiming at you, monsters having issues turning when charging and could miss you (hello Flesh Hulks) and awareness based CC instead of automatic (hello skeletal golems and obsidian titans). Other than that GD is pretty much how D3 should had been, esp. with xpak bringing some of D3 ideas into GD.

Though D3 has a far more simple item system, it does a much better job of communicating to the player what an item does for you. I see no reason GD can’t reach that same level of information despite things like damage conversion and the like.

I mean, just the fact that you could look at an item in GD and it’ll tell you you’re getting 500 more DPS, when in fact it’s going to make you weaker seems like a problem.

Maybe it’s not that it’s not communicated, but it could be communicated in a better more easily accessible way.

But I play both games. A lot. Uliana’s set is one of the greatest things in ARPGs.

Expressed very globally:

Singleplayer Aspects: Grim Dawn wins.

Multiplayer Aspects: Diablo 3 wins *.

• = Though the grift system in D3 stands an endgame feature its surely not an endgame activity one would consider perfect because it gets boring and repetitive very fast. Ive seen streamers sleeping in while doing D3 high tier grifts - you can literally see how ones brain gets send into sleep mode because of disusage and endless repitivity.

The ARPG genre should think about new ways of endgame as a whole. Endgame only makes sense if it offers excitement, attention and a non-bot friendly structure. Current D3 rankings are full of bots; they dont even ban them anymore since some seasons. Perfect example of what an endgame should not end in.

Great point, would be especially useful for newer less experienced players

As much as I hate that game, I still think rifts are more entertaining (to me atleast) than the Crucible

Map diversity + end game rifts.
But in all other aspects, GD > D3, no doubt about that

Nothing to me. I specially hate endless grind just for the sake of endless grind. I like my characters journey to actually end, to feel i’m actually done.

It’s great to have both games to play. This one is more in-depth but when I want something brain dead and fun I load up D3

Diablo 3 also does not tell you for sure if one item is really better, secondary and legendary affixes are not counted, so you may just as well equip a weapon supposedly better but actually worse in either game.

But that is not really a problem, that is a pure design choice. I have watched/read about this somewhere long ago, I’m sorry for not remembering and sharing. It might’ve been something with David Brevik, but after a quick search I couldn’t find it.

I disagree on all points.

1.) Combat is exceedingly repetitive, only PoE is worse, thanks to the idiotic 6 skills only restriction and often you have something like armor spells or auras going which are basically passives you press once in a while so the actual amount of skills is often lower. Also melee combat with procs like in Soldier or Nightblade are infinitely more satisfying than the samey melee combat in D3.

2.) What endgame? All you do is fighting the same shit with just more HP and damage ad nauseum. PoE is so much better at that it is not even funny and they do have some unique levels though many maps are reusing old stuff but Grifts and rifts reuse everything. In GD you get completely new bosses at some point which are very different from normal bosses. There are bounties though at the highest reputation levels they should offer something extra for the now useless reputation points.

3.) That was a lot better in D2 with proper lobbies etc and bigger parties, twice the size in fact. It is appalling how much regressed the game has compared to its glorious predecessor. This is also a completely nonsensical comparison since GD was primarily created as a single player while D3 is forced into multiplayer.

4.) Crafting is better in GD imho.

Skill animations and mechanics d3 are far better tha gd. There are so much mechanics d3 can but gd can not. Skills are definitely more fun, more “satisfying” to say at least. Wizard berserker monk you feel the class

D3 is too linear; it feels like your watching an neverending action movie but the action doesnt thrill but instead makes tired. Thats some sort of feeling i never have when playing GD.

D3 gave a cool name for its xpansion: Reaper of Souls;)

Grim Dawn hmm not so much :eek: “Asses in my Mouth”

It has been a long time since I played D3, but what I really liked were all the different Runes for the skills. Therefore I would appreciate more Transmuter in GD.