Anything Diablo 3 does better?

So I think most people would agree that Grim Dawn is a superior game compared to Diablo 3 in most ways and is a closer spiritual successor to Diablo 2. Having said that, does anyone think there are aspects of Diablo 3 that are superior to Grim Dawn?

Perhaps the end game?

Someone is slowly working on a mod that does rifts like D3 for endless endgame grinding for incremental power increases.

Well, Diablo III is a much smoother game overall. But they are a AAA publisher so I don’t hold that against Grim Dawn. Their visuals are also much more polished. I’ve put a lot of time into Diablo III so I don’t feel the same way I used to and it’s tough to be unbiased but I initially loved the game and everything about it. It was enjoyable to play through the story the first time. The mobs are well designed and fun to fight against. Abilities feel like they have impact and the game responds incredibly well to whatever you are doing where GD could definitely improve in that department (especially on bridges and other tight areas).

Though I don’t think it’s too fair to compare them on a lot of these aspects because of the amount of experience and money Blizzard had to design and create the game.

Trailer video.

But when your video production department has x more funding than Crate in it’s entirety that’s hardly a brag.

I agree with your point, technically, Grim Dawn has better graphics (much better dynamic lighting etc.), however the art style of Diablo 3 wins in my (subjective) opinion. Other thing I feel Diablo III does better is smoother more polished combat. But as you said, it is hard to hold this against Grim Dawn given the wast difference in budget.

Diablo 3 has a well-defined Mercenary System you can equip and build.

Despite Diablo 3 being an online game, its a huge “plus” for an offline game like Grim Dawn. It adds a distinct flavor to the gameplay of a RPG.

• You can adjust the mercenaries’ skills to your liking
  • Helps your character get out of ganks/tight corners
  • Shed auras to your benefits
  • and many more…

IMO, Diablo 2 got its “Father of all RPGs Title” with the help from this one.

I’d also like to mention I really like Grim Dawns art style and how it plays. Off the top of my head I don’t have a lot of complaints. I like how it looks visually, and though I would like a smoother combat experience, it’s still a good experience and the game responds to what I want to do with few exceptions. So, even if I think Diablo III has smoother gameplay and the art style is quite well done comparatively, I have an appreciation for what Crate has done with Grim Dawn and I wouldn’t ask for it to look more like Diablo III at all.

Even with a tiny fraction of Diablo 3 budget Crate created a game that is overall beter than Diablo 3. Imagine what sort of masterpiece Crate would create if they had half of resources and budget of Diablo 3 team. I am beyond impressed with Crate.

I give up. What?

Cuz it’s not isometric ARPG’s.

• animations/smoothness
  • seeing the legendaries on map (+sound, beam of light)
  • easier to find bounty targets (maybe too easy)

thats all

D3 has better, more impactful feeling combat. Imo that’s what D3 does best. But i honestly can’t understand why on earth D3 should have the better graphics, at least from an artistic point of view. It’s dungeons consist of repetetive and stereotype graphical patterns, always arranged in a way, that follows a fistful of basic layouts. I see no particular diligence of the D3 designers in their work, let alone the enormous love and attention to detail or that unique personal touch, wich i perceive in GD. Imho GD is an outstanding masterpiece in that regard (and in its lore) and by far the most atmospheric and artistically pleasing game in the whole aRPG genre, beating even D2 by a mile.

No offense intended, taste is subective and it’s the good right of everybody to like what he likes :).

I like the infinite wave rifts, but…

I hate slapping a leaderboard on top of that, causing appearance of meta builds and exploits to run wild.

So just infinite wave rifts please, for fun, no epeen nor anything else needed.

Also boss telegraphs alot better, but POE does this the best.

Nothing much really.
Rifts are boring since they are just old content scaled ad infinitum. No attribute system at all. Infinite paragon levels lead to all attributes besides vitality and main attribute being maximized at level 800 which is not that hard to reach.
Character customization goes the wrong way. Choose your set and chose your skills around that, instead of make your character and chose your items to support that.
The story is just insulting your intelligence especially in the original game. It can be summarized thusly: “Nephalem”.

I still play D1 and D2 from time to time after all these years and played D2 hardcore for 6 years. I won’t touch D3 in a few years and did not play it more than half a year intensely. I really wanted to like it but the more time went on the more I disliked it. Story, character system, progression, items, etc. it all started to grate on my nerves to a point where I can at best play for a week and then let it rest for a year.

What’s the point?

Both GD and D3 are great and offer so much, just play both like I do.

If you are looking for anything specific let me know, it does many things better and also many things worse, but really too many to list and they are all tied to the way each game was created and improved upon, things that can’t be changed without changing too much (as in work that should be spent on a new game instead).

For the record, I REALLY tried but couldn’t enjoy PoE (Path of Exile) at all, 34 hours and none of it was memorable.

Skill animations are sick in diablo 3. Also gameplay is somewhat better because gd is bound to its old engine thus can not bring spells like seven-sided strike-time slow- to the table. End game stuff is also good.

D3 has smoother/more responsive skill activation
D3 has random events on maps

other then that D3 is horrendous and I hope nothing else makes it into any future Crate projects.

1. the combat system of diablo 3 is unmatched by any other game in the genre, period.

2. end-game of d3 is better.

3. online features like grouping up and playing with friends is also a win for d3.

4. edit: the cube and all its recipes, made bounties relevant again instead of a dead feature.

i think these are what diablo 3 does better than GD. the best ARPG would be a combination of D3 and GD, if the developers united and funded by blizzard they would create a game that would surpass diablo 2’s overrating. because for me, diablo 3 and GD are both better than d2.

I agree and I do play both. Never tried PoE but Torchlight 2 was fun. I was just curious to find out what other people like about D3 vs. GD even though GD is a better game overall. I do hope the next ARPG project by Crate has a massively bigger budget just so we can see the amazing things Crate will be able to do with it…

Movement skills

Active skills - wider variety and more slick. Wish Grim Dawn had a skill like Haunt