Are all affix combinations possible drops?

I played the game now for around 500 hours, lots of it farming Shattered Realms for nice MI drops of Nemesis bosses. And I found, for example, many Moosilauke’s Shoulderguards and Moosilauke’s Pauldrons.

But the kind of prefixes and postfixes I get are very different for different items. For instance, I have Stonehide Moosilauke's Pauldrons of the Wolf equipped, but I’d prefer Ancient or Stonehide Moosilauke's Shoulderguards of the Wolf.
But I haven’t even seen a single Moosilauke's Shoulderguards drop with of the Wolf postfix.
Meanwhile, I’ve seen two Stonehide Moosilauke's Pauldrons of the Wolf drops alone!

Also, I haven’t seen a single Moosilauke's Shoulderguards drop with Stonehide prefix. But four Stonehide Moosilauke's Pauldrons!

When it comes to the Ancient prefix, for both pauldrons and shoulderguards, I haven’t seen a single one.
But three of them for Reaper’s Legguards!

Furthermore, when I compare the commonly dropped prefixes and postfixes of different items, they seem quite distinct, with some affixes very commonly dropping, while many others (even non-rare affixes) do not appear at all.

An item where this became very apparent is the Bonebleach Halberd that one can only farm in Bonebleach Basin, of which one can quickly farm hundreds (as I did), and which like half of the time has Puncturing prefix, and mostly of Alacrity, of Celerity, and of Spines postfixes. On the other hand, maybe this (since it’s essentially a bonus item in a bonus area) is an exception? At least, I never noticed such a clear trend with any other item.

So I wonder if my RNG results are just weird, or whether this is by design. Do we have any official information on this? And for those who farmed many hundreds or thousands of hours, what is your impression?

Do you think every combination is possible, but some are just more likely?
(Apart from magic vs. rare affixes, which is obvious.)

Oh, and have you ever seen Ancient or Stonehide Moosilauke's Shoulderguards (with any postfix)?
How about Moosilauke's Shoulderguards of the Wolf (with any prefix)?

Version 1.1.7.0 added something called “affix bias”. Certain items are more likely to come with affixes that suit them.

Maybe this is what you’re witnessing. All combinations are still possible, but some are more rare.
Sidenote: I never liked this change.

1 Like

i don’t have any of the wolf, but do have others

it’s called RNG for a reason i suppose and the affix pool is rather large, combine that with the mechanic of 1 affix will immediately exclude the possibility of another
since Nemesis items can only drop with 1 magick affix, it means if your prefix slot is rolled magick this drop literally can not be what you want in any format, since the magick excludes the ancient, and the magick also excludes another magick so no wolf suffix
basically because of the huge RNG on many many multiple affix combos getting an exact matching affix combo is pretty tough

unless Z changed the core of it, it doesn’t apply to ex nemesis items or many belts, because they don’t have a “native” dmg type (even tho belts convert into X dmg type :grin:)

1 Like

they are quite rare, but they can drop if you pray to RNGesus long and hard enough.

2 Likes