Are there enemies that are immune to "attack damage converted to health" and "life stealing" in general?

So, I have a character that heavily relies on life stealing but I played in Titan Quest and I know how treacherous the games from the developer can be (lol) and that some superbosses may have resistances to “everything”, so are there enemies that are punishing for that type of build?

I believe there’s only like one enemy or two that is actually immune to life leech.

1 Like

So, life leech resistance does have influence on this?

Yes. Most enemies have between 70% and 95%, so you will get healed from most of enemies. And if anything, life leech is the strongest source of healing in the game.

I think one of the enemies immune to life leech is like a Void Leech hero and the other an undead hero.

1 Like

There are definitely enemies that are immune to lifestealing but not many of them are particularly prominent. That is to say, you may run into some of them in the campaign but they generally won’t appear in endgame (talking of Shattered Realm cause that’s what I play) barring a few exceptions. Off the top of my head I can think of:
Zantarin the Immortal, this one does appear in SR quite frequently but he’s not actually that punishing cause while you can’t leech off of him, he summons hordes of adds for you to leech off of. He’s actually one of the easiest Nemeses to fight provided you have at least some AoE.
There’s Bane’Gargoth, he’s part of a quest in the campaign but doesn’t appear in endgame.
Then there’s Manticore Deathstalker, a unique enemy that appears only in Ultimate in one specific region and nowhere else. It drops a relic blueprint you can’t find anywhere else, so you might farm it for a bit but then it becomes an afterthought.
And there’s a handful of Ugdenbog Overgrowth bosses, like one or two, that appear in endgame, but they’re usually accompanied by other enemies you can leech from.

All in all, there isn’t really an enemy that straight up says “screw your lifesteal, you need to solve this differently” that’s of any real relevance. Either you kill them before you even notice the lack of leech, or you encounter them once in the whole campaign. You only really have to worry about Zantarin and the Overgrowths in endgame, but not to the point where it should really impact how you build your character. You just have to keep the lack of leech in mind when you fight them so that you actually occasionally hit something else to sustain.

2 Likes

Thanks! Very helpful! Does reducing enemy resistances help with that? I mean from particular items and augments (like Essence of Ch’thon for example) ?

Generic resistance reduction (one without specified type like Essence of Ch’thon) only applies to resistances related to damage, i.e. phys, aether, acid etc. If you want to reduce other resistances, such as resistance to crowd control (trap, freeze etc.) or resistance to leeching, you need to have a thing that specifically targets that (correct me somebody if I’m wrong on that). For lifeleech I think the only way is in the devotion tree, the Will of Rattosh proc off of Rattosh, the Veilwarden constellation.

1 Like

God, this game has so many nuances, somebody could easily make PHD out of it, lol, I love it. Can’t imagine how much hard work is put into it. Some legendary sets have life leech resistance reduction as well.

Forgot to mention, some of these enemies have their leech res so high resistance reduction won’t help, hence why there’s probably so little of it in the game. It’s just not really something you need to worry about. If you wanna use leech resistance reduction, it may enable you to leech off of only some of these immune enemies, but generally it’s more there to help pump up your leech to the stratosphere. Against your average 80 % leech resistant enemy Rattosh’s measly 8 % resist reduction gets you a 40 % leech increase.

1 Like

Thank you, yeah I already found in monster database that Zantarin has 500% life leech resistance :sob: “Restoring health” devotions make way more sense now

I mentioned that an undead hero had immunity to life leech but i completely forget it was a Nemesis instead. lol

To be fair i hardly get Zantarin in SR (game loves throwing Reaper and Iron Maiden at me instead) and unlocking him in the main campaign is a hassle.

I think the only other source in the game is Haunt relic with 8% life leech reduction (used to be 30% at one point).

Those are actually more used by characters that can’t even access lifesteal for their skills or slot regen into their build. Like, if you’re, say, playing a Trozan’s Sky Shard build with the Trozan set, you have no way to get lifesteal on TSS cause it has no weapon damage on it (so your global leech doesn’t apply) and there’s no way to get a lifesteal modifier directly onto TSS from gear. But what you often will have on that build is a bunch of cooldown reduction, so you take heal procs on the devotion tree to sustain that way, cause you really don’t have other options. Other builds will take them as well, of course, if they’re on their devotion path, but the majority of their sustain still comes from leeching.

Zantarin really isn’t an issue, he’s one of the breeziest Nemeses in the game, he doesn’t do much damage at all unless you’re using Acid, Aether or Chaos and he spawns hordes of easy-to-kill enemies for you to heal from. Really, the challenge with Zantarin is all about whether you have enough AoE to keep clearing the summons, cause their damage adds up a lot faster than his does. If you have the AoE to keep killing them just as a side effect of you hitting Zantarin, you’ll be topped up the whole time. I wouldn’t go out of my way for heal procs just for him, he’s been a free win in endgame for almost every build I’ve ever played, barring like two.

1 Like

Living Tree heroes are resistant. All kinds of them.

1 Like

You’re really unlucky then, Zantarin appears a LOT for me, though of course that does get commensurately compensated by hefty amounts of Korvaaks and Rashalgas so that I don’t feel too special.

As for the leech RR, there are other sources besides Haunt, like OP says: Valguur set, Morgoneth set and helmet, Wildblood Crusher.

Yes, there are, but they’re very rare and not really dangerous. Among “strong” bosses, only Zantarin the Immortal is immune to it, however, he summons a lot of trash mobs, that arent, so you still can leech in that fight.
However, even though not immune, some enemies are still very resistant to life leech, so you should have high %ADCtH and DPS to sustain yourself off them, and probably a resist reduction for life leech too (like the one granted by Rattosh the Veiwarden constellation proc).

1 Like