Army composition

So, since v0.92 we now have different unit types:

Horsemen
Lancers

Light infantry
Heavy infantry
Pikemen

What I’d like to know is if you guys already have collected some experience as to what troop compositions are best and which unit types are good in which situations? :slight_smile:

Horses are useless as military units and I won’t be using them in future games. Their ‘running’ speed is hardly better than the infantry’s. As food and as leather, do they give the same amount as cows? I can’t tell, so I’ll stick to cows because barns can be upgraded.

When on the offensive against raid camps (weaponry permitting) I now use one barrack half light, half heavy infantry, with another barrack with nothing but archers, easier to control but I wish the archers would concentrate on the raiders and not the buildings.

You don’t get anything from excess Horses, they just disappear into the void (which I’m not a fan of). I find Horsemen the best thing for taking out catapults then running away until the raid around my Town Centre bloc has been sufficiently pelted with arrows and getting them to mop said raid up.

Usually, once I reach T4 I can manage any raid with heavy infantry and lancers. But lancers are just phenomenal…8 of them can destroy 40-50 raiders with little fire support like town center and a pair of defense towers. On the other side I find light inf and horseman very weak…they keep dying if you don’t micromanage them in combat and when assaulting raider camps. For this reason alone combat feels much harder in T3 than in T4.

For now I don’t bother with pikemens, just not worth specializing in anti-horse infantry when >80% of raiders are on foot and lancers destroy everything anyway…

True, I keep losing my horse for no reason. I built fence and have all the food they need, but they keep disappearing -_-