ARPG Style Loot in Other Genres

This post is meant to try to generate some discussion on games that feature ARPG style loot, yet don’t fit into the ARPG genre.

My criteria will be the following:

1. Loot explosions
  2. Diverse gear options
  3. Prefixed/suffixed items
  4. Loot grades (i.e. normal > magical > rare > epic > legendary)

NOTE: It’s not my goal to police this criteria, so use your own judgment.

With that being said, I’ll get the ball rolling:

1. Borderlands (series)
  2. Monsters’ Den: Godfall
  3. Pixel Privateers
  4. Drox Operative
  5. Nioh
  6. Drifting Lands
  7. Zigfrak
  8. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  9. Darksiders II

Borderlands is an ARPG though

It just happens to be an ARPG FPS

ARPG for me is synonymous with Diablo, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, etc.

But again, I’m not going to argue with anybody. That was not the goal of this thread.

I’d say the genre you’re looking for there would be something along the lines of “Top down Hack-and-slash”. Action RPG is a rather broad category.

The problem is that no matter how you define this style of game someone is going to take issue with it. We had a great thread discussing different ARPG’s but it lasted only a short period of time before several posters chose to derail it.

Warhammer DOW 2

Agreed :stuck_out_tongue: Really, I and most others will understand what kind of ARPGs you are referring to when you use Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Diablo etc. as examples anyway that I don’t think it’s worth arguing over.

you can’t discuss something if you can’t even define it. otherwise the spectrum is too broad to have a proper discussion with. So you’re looking for something, but can’t explain to people what it is. As a result you won’t get the answers you’re looking for. Then people start to bitch and moan eventually due to frustrations of miss communication.

ARPG is just the main genre. You are looking for a specific sub-genre of that.

I don’t feel like I need to define anything. People are just being overly pedantic and arguing for argument’s sake. Look at the type of message board this is on and use the contextual clues given.

Not to mention that if you do a google search for the term “ARPG,” you’re going to get lists filled out with games like POE, GD, DIII, T2, etc. It’s a pretty well accepted convention whether people want to admit it or not.

Moreover, I hesitate to call this genre “Diablo clones” even though that would get the point across real quick. These developers put too much time and effort into their games to get labeled a mere facsimile.

You just fell into the arpg forum trap. You mentioned the word arpg and some games.

BOOM!

It’s always like this lol

Then take a page from the roguelike and simply call them diablo-likes, which is what they are. It’s a very specific breed which happens to have elements that bleed over into more general arpg’s and other games.

Always a touchy topic but I’ve always felt strongly on the designation.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Isometric ARPG.

Nevermind. Won’t change a thing.

Since you’re not taking you’re criteria too seriously, RTS games have taken some cues from arpg style loot over the years. Warcraft 3 comes to mind, Dawn of War 2 has already been named. There are probably more, that I can’t think of right now.

Dungeon Lords steam edition now has some affixes loot. (Beware not everyone’s cup of tea is understatement)

Wait they’re still patching it? I thought they just fixed it for release… Now I might have to play it again

I used to play it when was out. It was weird but fun.

Asylum101 they did patch it a couple times after this latest re-release but they never managed to fix the multi-player which from what I understand they were hoping would be a great drawing point of the new release. I don’t play DL multiplayer so I don’t know any specifics.

For the other problems they have fixed many things like some graphics, UI, ‘getting stuck in the floor of one of the realms’… don’t know what else to call it, fixed up/changed/streamlined some spells and mechanics. Oh and best of all now more than 8 save slots… in fact quite infinite almost.

So they did do some work rather than just release 2012 version verbatim.

However there are still some problems that even fans such as myself have with the game. Terrible melee item decay that makes the game annoying and I pick builds with kung fu and/or ranged attacks. Number 2: inventory clog if you pick up the wrong endlessly spawning quest items you can bork your inventory. Number 3: the game with new mechanics is fairly challenging early on such as surviving the trial of the ancestors last chamber fighting waves of ghost knights while being bombarded by fireballs. But eventually in part due to the affixes you can randomly find you become ridiculously powerful. The demon lord armor used to be the godly armor you wished for but now leather with good affixes is better. So reload on those chests! Added to that if you specialize in one magic and one weapon and pump defenses you get ridiculously powerful. This is going on what I have heard as I’ve only played maybe 1/3 through this version of the game.

I can’t recommend buying this game but if there is another sale and you have nostalgia maybe why not? Oh and the last patch was over 2 years ago probably so I doubt it will get patched again and I would be very surprised if it ever gets rereleased in 2022 or so? For people who have not heard of it the coolest thing is the layout of the Dungeons you explore hence they name Dungeon Lords. They have cool layouts and puzzles with grindy constant combat in between.