[Asterkarn] Berserker class name guesswork

New hypotheses:

+Soldier: Slayer
+Demolitionist: Dragoon (The term did originally refer to grenadiers…)
+Occultist: Harbinger
+Nightblade: Frostcaller/Cryomancer (It’s not like the two components are particularly magic-heavy…Although if the choice had been mine, we’d see Necrurgist, Cryurgist, and Pyrurgist instead. >>; )
+Arcanist: Soothsayer
+Shaman: Evoker
+Inquisitor: Custodian
+Necromancer: Reaver
+Oathkeeper: Thane

I’d flip Arcanist and Shaman, there’s no way an Arcanist who views magic as a scientific discipline would be called a Soothsayer. The aggressive aspect of Berserker would fit very nicely with the traditional DnD Evocation school of magic for Evoker.

It has been spoiled that Oathkeeper + Berserker is Zealot.

1 Like

I had the idea that the Evoker is evoking the power of nature. >>;

Anyway, we at least now know that Thane was not the one exactly correct guess. Could still be in there, probably as +Soldier, mind. We can use Warlord and Death Knight (conceit of ruling something, even if just a barony) as the closest things to precedent for the theme.

The one thing I’s say is that Thane I almost guarantee is one of the 3 on the list of being used. But I think that would make more sense with the Zerk + Shaman combo only because Thanes are typically represented by lightning powers. They’re generally not regarded or thought of as highly defensive but melee and spell offensively focused and lightning themed.

I’ll admit that I was mostly thinking thane in the original historical context of a minor noble…Except I thought it was a Norse title. Turns out it’s actually an Old English title. But that reasoning is also why, when the Oathkeeper dyad titles were teased, I felt Paladin and Templar were interchangeable, with one of them probably being +Soldier. Very similar conceits (high state officials well-trained in weapon usage in real life, clerical conceits in pop culture which the Oathkeeper component handles anyway).

TQ Stormcallers (that and Warrior got you Thane) were part-ice, anyway, and the Berserker component has that down pat.