[B31] Blackrock Saboteur (Fire+ Chaos/Poison)-In depth build/guide+backstory

----Work in progess!—

Hi greatest adventures of Grim Dawn world. My name is SneakyBadAss (not real ofc ) and i would like present you my custom made Saboteur build.

Research time (13 hours)
Developing time (4 hours)
Polishing build (2 hours and counting)
Writing this build (2,5 hours and counting+ forum 3x kick me off).

First lets ask a question. What is Saboteur? For me Saboteur is person who have specific skill to sabotage by explosive, traps, poison, informations etc. Also he cant bee seen or hear.

Im the type of person who don’t like walking in someone footsteps. Especially in term of theorycrafting or builds in videogames. Ok enough talk lets talk about build.

So origins of Blackrock Saboteur? Its a Cthonian aspirant who was banished for experimenting with explosives and fire. Usually leading to human sacrifice being shredded over all walls and precious blood lost in flames and black powder. He promise revenge for what they did. After many years roaming around infested world, he met woman. Nightblade (actual name). They live and fight together for years. But one day, when he return for revenge and fought with his mister, he fell in to trap. Rushing home only to see his wife laying in pool of blood. Beside here was note -Take those blades and never forget. Love you always, Nightblade.

All right now really in to actual build. It consist of 80% demolisher and 20% Nightblade.

First weapons: You should always carry dual wield one hand weapon or rifle/crossbow. You could double pistol, but this is not build suited for.
Auguments. Always enchant Slam on one of your melee weapon. Its a huuuge bonus in to damage and mainly, its a catalyst for celestial power, but about this later. Other arguments are all on you, but i would prefer something with fire/chaos/poison damage.

-----------------------------DEVOTION-------------------
I know its usual talking about devotion before masteries and skills, but this build is sustained on specific devotion, so i find appropriate to show them first and then what skill you should actually use to get glorious combinations.

I will mark elemental damages and resist with specific colors, so you can distinct between them more easily.

All right, lets get dirty. As title say, we focus on Fire+ Chaos and some Poison/ acid damage (later, in devotion tree, poison and acid is second biggest bonus damage).

Our core build consist of 20 devotion points :
1.Crossroads
2.Guardian Gaze
3.Flame Torrent
4.Jackal
5.Edritch Fire

You might Ask why Guardian Gaze but trust me. This is the most important devotion tree. Without this, whole build will collapse, it doesn’t seems like it, but ill explain later. Our goal is to get 5.Edritch Fire on main attack ASAP. You should have this unlocked on lvl 40-42.

This is stats you get when you finish core build:

90% chaos damage
40% poison damage
50% fire damage
10% acid damage
10% spirit-not important
8% all damage
8% chaos ressist
+18 offensive ability

As you can see, we now have really good basement for upgrading, dominated by chaos damage, which is what we want. But now it will be more difficult.

All right what to do now?

Depend on your items. If you equip consists mostly of fire an burning damage, you are going for Meteor Shower

If your equip consists mostly of chaos/poison/acid damage, you are going for Abominable Might

Dont worry, both pats are 100% similiar, its only way how to get faster in to your prefered Celestial power. In the end you will get both. Also Meteor Shower is easiest to get, but you will lack of chaos/poison/acid resist. And it will be less powerful.

Ok, you Choose path of Meteor Shower. Your path will be faster, but less powerful.
This is what you want:

6.Fox
7. Hydra (This is why you need Guardian Gaze. Without it, you would not have 3 ascendant points for hydra, thus cant aquire ultimate Celestial skill).
8.Meteor Shower
9.Fissure (This is where you get the biggest fire/burning bonus damage for Meteor shower).
10.Abominable Might

Those are stats you get when you obtain 8.Meteor Shower

140% fire damage
90% chaos damage
80% burn damage + 100% increased duration + 16 burn damage for 3s
45% bleeding damage+ 8 bleed damage for 3s
40% poison damage
28% all damage
23% chaos ressist
20% fire resistance +3% max fire resist
20% slow resistance
20% pierce damage
10% acid damage
10% spirit
10% crit damage
+5% movement speed
+68 offensive ability +8%
+35 cunning

As you can see, we exchange Chaos damage for shit ton of fire and burning damage…like you want it. It will be crazy boosted by 9.Fissure Main fact is, at this point. (finishing Meteor Strike) your builds will be same.

Now lets a look at 10.Abominable Might path

This is how you want to build it:

6. Hydra (This is why you need Guardian Gaze. Without it, you would not have 3 ascendant points for hydra, thus cant aquire ultimate Celestial skill).
7.Fissure
8.Fox
9.Abominable Might
10.Meteor Shower

And of course here are stats

170% chaos damage
120% poison damage
90% fire damage 6-8 fire damage
65% burn damage +30% incresed duration + 15 burn damage for 3s
50% acid damage
45% bleeding damage + 15 bleed damage for 3s
40% vitality damage
38% all damage
25% fire resistance
20% pierce damage
20% poison resist + 3% max poison ressist
20% slow resistance
10% spirit
8% chaos ressist
5% casting speed
+250 health
+113 offensive ability +3%
+35 Cunning

Yes, nearly 200% Chaos damage and 120% poison damage. Without items or abilities!

Do you wanna see primary stats when you complete Devotion tree path? I know you want :slight_smile: Here it is:

170% chaos damage
120% poison damage
180% fire damage
145% burn damage + 130% increased duration

I think this sums up perfectly, what this build is about. Burn everything with poisoned fire from the hell

Now to the fun part

-----------------------------MASTERIES AND SKILLS-------------------

From our Devotion tree, we have few goodies in form of Celestial powers. Lets look at them.

Guardian Gaze
Flame Torrent
Edritch Fire
Meteor Shower
Fissure

We return to them quickly, but lets build our masteries tree

Our core skills will be:

From Nightblade tree:

Dual blades (Ability to use dual wield)
Phantasmal blade (last gift from your wife).
Pneumatic Burst (Heal+HP regen,Must for survive)

From Demolitionist tree

Fire strike (Primary attack)
Flame touched (Great buff)
Vindictive Flame (Passive hp regen+aoe fire damage)
Grenado (Catalyst for High impact)

Now, how to level up them properly?

[b]Our offensive skills will be:

Fire strike
Phantasmal blade
Blackwater cocktail

Defensive:
Vindictive flame and pneumatic burst. If you want canister bombs too.
[/b]

First 20 levels (60 points)

[b]Nightblade:

5 masteries
Phantasmal blades 1/16 (Until Nether edge, they are pointless for you)
Dual blades 1/16 (Again pointles. Only one point for ability to quip dual wield)
Pneumatic burst 5/12 augument (Great skill for sustain).

Demolitionist
25 masteries

Fire strike 5/12
Flame touched 5/12
Vindictive flame 4/16
Blackwater cocktail 3/12
Grenado 1/16 + 3/12 high impact
Canister bomb (If you can add Concussive bomb) 1/12[/b]

This is how it looks http://grimcalc.com/build/reTIxZ

[b]And this is how final build looks like. http://grimcalc.com/build/zlX4UN You can alternate, but it depends of your gear or enemies. Sorry for clunky skill tree, but i must make it fast.

Now last point. Celestial skills. Remember those? We need to find friends for them. [/b]

Guardian Gaze
Flame Torrent
Edritch Fire
Meteor Shower
Fissure

Guardian Gaze-Phantasmal blades
Flame Torrent-Fire strike
Elrdich fire-Fire strike
Slam (weapon augument)-Flame Torrent
Blackwater or Cannister bombs-Fissure
Phantasmal blade-Meteor Shower

All right thats it. Thank you for reading. If i come with something new, i will definitely add it. Sorry for rushed end, my keyboard is dying, so i must make it fast :smiley: Hope you like it. Also i would like thank you Disturbed and Sabaton bands, who guide me while i was writing. They guide me through path. The only right one, METAL!

nice guide and easy readup! thumbs up. one of the flashiest on here!

however how do you sustain with 5/12 PB and no other nightblade defensive skills?! I ran some tests with my decently geared 83 saboteur yesterday and I had to go crazy on defensives and use flashback to stay alive in ultimate.

:wink:

It looks pretty amazing. I am a new player and i would like to try your build. Btw what about attributes?

Thats actually good point. I would say on early levels it depends gear. Also you have pots. A lot of them :smiley: Little bit later if you have problem with surviving you can go with 3/3 concussive and that should solve your problem, because you should have enough damage to kill them before they woke up from stun. Mid end game definitely have PB and vindictive Flame maxed out. At this state, if you have decent equip which contain burn or fire damage, you should melt them without problem, but of course it depends on enemy type. Its logical that you wont face tank some life stealing bastard but kite the shit out of them. Thats why this build is for melee and ranged. If you cant go one way, pick the other one. If you cant still survive? Well hope you have big bladder, because you will drink a lot of HP pots :smiley: Like i say, its a rushed skill tree so you can alternate for your needs. Premise of this build is having enough damage to hurt them before they hurt you. Not totally glass cannon. More like carton locomotive with hand brake.

I don’t know how others, but i don’t care about attributes. I usually store them, and when i need some specific number for equiping gear i just add it. 8 each level is really not big number. On lvl 40 you getting gear +30 spirit/physiq and cunning. On one item.

Can you give some details about items ? which stats should i choose and which blacksmith should i pick ?

Its really not that hard. If its better than your previous item and has fire/burning/chaos/poison % damage or same element based ability equip it. For blacksmith according to this http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Blacksmith i would choose Duncan. Well i choose him, but i didn’t know i have to choose :smiley:

Is this build ultimate viable and are you thinking to uptade your build ?

I was playing with a very similar build last night at level 82.
As far as my playstyle goes the build posted isn’t viable for Ultimate.

The build is missing CC (concussive bomb, stun jacks, flash bang), invulnerability (blade barrier) and a movement skill (shadow strike). You’ll also need to put something in Veil of Shadow for the total speed and OA debuff.

You can switch around your devotions to be more resist/defense/health focused but you’re still going to have trouble actually standing in melee range long enough to get much damage done. Lord help you if you’re getting focused by range.

This could very easily be my personal experience/incompetence. I also don’t have a bank full of duped legendaries so YMMV. I’d like to see a video of this in action in ultimate.