Backer Rewards and DRM-Free Copy

Why get it from humble when humble isn’t even selling a DRM free version… If waiting for gog keys isn’t an option, then I’ll simply know never to back a Crate game again. No big deal. Humble is unprofessional and sloppy. GOG gives proper updates and installs it.

You must have missed this part of the original post… Or did not read it…

On a related note, we are also planning a GoG release. We should have a version of GD out on the GoG store sometime in March.

Probably because the decision to use the Humble Store was made back in 2013. See Buy Now going down / Humble Store going up. The Humble Store is used to disseminate keys/software that was bought from the Grim Dawn web site or via the Kickstarter.

GOG is being added to the list of vendors to sell Grim Dawn.

I have a version on all three computer. Present up to date. Others 3 to 6 months old.
Would like a disc so I can get off Stream and two because I keep having computers “go south” too often. About a month ago smoke poured out of this computer and had to get it rebuilt. Hopefully in future could install from disc and just down load patches if any from website.
Will give it a try with my hound. In Devil Aquifer, spiders attack me and it just stood looking around. It was on aggression. Had to shift-click to get it to attack. This is not new, it happens randomly, usually when first entering an area.
I still have my umpteen digit key written down somewhere. Minds a little fuzzy as to where.
Thanks for help, always appreciated.

Weird. Because if you actually paid attention to anything I say (hey I don’t blame ya, truth tends to be hard to hear) it’s actually fairly straightforward to figure out that I am not, indeed, strictly a Steam “fanboy”. You also clearly missed the entire point of the post you quoted from. I shall henceforth name you Quickdraw McGraw.

But whatever gets you thru the day and nicely tucked in at night, you second class digital citizens you.

Well if you can’t find it, you can always go back to the Humble Store’s web site, login, and it will be with your account. Be sure to bookmark this thread Grim Dawn Alpha Release! for more info.

I’d hope that Crate would swap Steam Keys for GOG for backers who never activated the steam key, but I haven’t received any information from my inquiries.

yes that is right. Crate gets some percentage of the sales price from Steam, they get a higher percentage from their own site. The DRM free version is incentive. The stores never said anything about it being DRM free, so you should not expect it to be either.

To be honest, I don’t really understand what most anti-DRM people actually want but I’m trying to listen. When I launched the KS, I just offered a DRM-Free version because Double Fine and inExile were and it seemed the thing to do. I initially didn’t even realize people thought Steam itself was DRM or just the devil, even if a game didn’t utilize the extra security features. So, I get that, we said we’d deliver a DRM-Free version not on Steam. Now I’m hearing that people don’t want to get a stand-alone build they can download off humble and install, they want it on GoG and to use that update service? That seems contradictory since, if you install GoG Galaxy, how is that really much different than Steam? I legitimately don’t know.

Whatever the case, we are going to distribute on GoG, so I may be able to just get keys for GoG and distribute the keys through Humble if that’s what people want.

Wow, I figured it might cost you money to be able to do that as Humble and GOG were separate companys. I didn’t realize that Humble could sell GOG keys, but I guess GOG is similar to Steam in that regard.

So it seems this would be the best route.

TBH, I think this is like Microsoft vs Apple type of issue - some are rabid for one, some for the other, and those of us that don’t really care or use what works best.

Thanks for all the work on this! I’m sure you hadn’t planned on it.

Well, I’m not sure if I could sell GoG keys but I think GoG would give me keys to distribute to existing customers as like a one-time thing. I’m not 100% sure without asking them but I’ll find out.

How difficult, inconvenient or expensive is it to host/distribute the game DRM-Free from this site?

TBH, all of this should have been sorted out and resolved before the official release…not after. There have literally been YEARS to have some kind of plan in place for distributing your backer perks. Instead, the only rewards your backers are getting thus far are muddled “We don’t really know when, or where, or how we will do it–but we’ll figure it out when we have time” statements…

I don’t mind waiting, seeing as plenty of us have already been waiting a LONG time. It’s not a big deal to me. It’s just baffling that this could even be such a problem…

Honestly, I just want a build out as quickly as possible so I can play, Humble or GOG is less important than just getting it out there at this point to me. A week doesn’t seem like much after five years, but it’s still very sad to see this all up in the air, when there should have been ample time to plan things out so this exact situation wouldn’t occur. Steam fanboys will give me flak, but it’s true that DRM-free is obviously not a priority like Steam.

Just to clarify on GOG. Galaxy is a completely optional system, you can download stand-alone installers and updates directly, and then there is no need for activation or anything after you have the files.

For Humble, many games come in zipped files that lack a proper installer and I think people are concerned it will be like that for Grim Dawn since nothing has been stated to the contrary. Asking for questions and posting a FAQ could do a lot to calm people down if you take the time to understand what is being asked. I find the lack of knowledge of the distribution systems kind of surprising, since GD is supposed to come out on GOG, but I guess Steam is king.

I still can’t figure out why this wasn’t planned in advanced or communicated better, it’s not like there wasn’t years to figure it out.

When I got GD in 2011 I got the DRM free key, and later was given the Steam key for early access, if there is not going to be a DRM free version then what was the use of giving us a DRM free key, why not just say that the Steam key was it, and not give the DRM free key out at all. As long as GOG doesn’t make it Steam only well there’s that I guess. I don’t hate Steam but I would rather not have it.

What i want is a standalone DRM free installer. I would much rather have it with GOG then humble, as this is literally my only humble link title. And i only have humble because i bought it off the Grim Dawn website the loyalist edition. I just want to forget about humble once i have the loyalist edition saved to some external media. Yes i really would like it through GOG all of my games are there and NOT steam, but ill buy it again from GOG if i have to. We only used steam because we HAD to. I intensely dislike steam and avoid it if i have a choice. I bought Grim Dawn because i would get a DRM free version upon the games completion.

The most important thing is a get all the digital rewards, will o the wisp, the vomit potion, wig etc with my DRM free installer. That’s all.

I don’t care about updates, in face i HATE all the updates. I just want you guys to stop making such radical changes to items and skills, devotions all that jazz.

I honestly think the only time i will ever Update is when you come out with the expansion pack and only because i don’t have a choice then.

So The TLDR version ----> gimme my DRM free stuff, then leave my characters skills,devotions and items alone :slight_smile:

pretty please

@Medierra,
One practical reason for wanting a DRM free copy is work. What I mean by that is I travel 3-6 months of the year and I often do not have access to the internet (since 65-70% of the planet does not have internet.) I am often off line for months at a time due to what is called a DIL (Disrupted Intermittent Limited) work environment. Computer gaming is my hobby and helps pass the time when you are 100 miles (160 kilometers) from the nearest town/civilization. Being able to play a game that does not require internet access is necessary. (Before I get Brown-shirt Steam-slammed about Steam offline mode - offline mode does not work for extended periods of time as Steam requires a heart beat for updates and the EULA requires an internet connection with Admin privileges to your system. Being offline for extended periods causes your account to fall out of sync and in the end it is corrupted – according to Steam this is a feature not a bug and is working as intended consistent to Steam use policies-- having to repurchase my library twice due to corrupted game files has made Steam a non-option for me when I am working/travelling.) I was an early adopter of Steam (approximately in the first 1000 users) but my work requirements no longer make its use possible when I am travelling. My son uses Steam almost exclusively but he has the advantage of staying at home with our very stable internet…I do not. Using services like GOG has been a godsend for me when I am deployed as I can download the files (on a data stick) prior to my travel and install them when I want to play a new game or I finish an old one. All without having internet access (outside of the initial download). In a nutshell, that is what I am looking for with GD. Download the files…play when I don’t have internet access…and update the system every few months when I am back in town. I don’t really care about “DRM” or “Steam-hate” what I care about is being able to play when I am deployed. I know that my needs/wants for GD are an individual request but it is a practicable request not based on hating DRM or Steam. I understand if this is not possible in your distribution constraints but I wanted you to know that the request for a DRM free/stand alone version of GD is based on real world requirements not an emotional response.

I really like your games (I still take Titan Quest with me on my gaming laptop) and have looked forward to seeing GD come to fruition for several years. I hope that I will get a chance to play it. You guys have done an amazing job. And for the record…I have come very close to being “punched” in the face by a drunk Grizzly/Brown bear (not kidding - I grew up in Alaska/Canada). An adrenaline rush of that magnitude is well worth the wait.

:confused:

why do people keep posting nonsense like this

there, you got it ?

People post “nonsense” like this because so far all sites have Grim Dawn listed as Steam only, there, you got it yet.

This is awesome , to be clear , GOG Galaxy client is %100 optional . Because unlike Steam GOG also have standalone installers and they are perfect for backup also it have client for maintain all games in one place . And zero DRM . It’s like best of the both worlds :slight_smile: