Backer Rewards and DRM-Free Copy

With Grim Dawn release coming tomorrow, naturally there are questions about backer rewards and DRM-free copies. It occurred to me that I posted about this on KS but there are also website backers who will want this information. So, sorry for the delay, here’s what to expect:

As soon as in-game rewards and the DRM-Free build become available, backers will receive an update via Kickstarter and we will post an update on the forum.

Virtual Rewards - The items themselves are actually finished but we need to set up a way to distribute them both on and off Steam. We know how it’s going to work on Steam and just need to configure it. How we will get the actual codes to people is a little more complicated. That will have to happen through Humble Store. They actually have a nice system to set up distribution for backer rewards… except we were one of their original customers and first Kickstarters, so our stuff was not originally set up using that system. It’s set up in a more convoluted manner and we’re just going to have to work with them to make sure everything goes out to the right backer tiers. It’s not a real issue, it’s just something that I don’t have time to set up yet. I’ll be handling all this logistical stuff after release. I’m thinking we’ll be able to get this set up within two weeks though, maybe less depending on how things go.

DRM-Free copy
- Part of this is setting up distribution, which requires a little work but should be much less complicated than the virtual goods since we’re just sending out one thing to all backers. We do however want to make sure we wrap up any significant hotfixes so we don’t package up a DRM-free build that immediate needs to be updated… which would be a problem since there is no service, like Steam, that you can just connect to for automatic updates. In the future we’ll probably just have to distribute updates as full builds or set up some sort of patcher.

On a related note, we are also planning a GoG release. We should have a version of GD out on the GoG store sometime in March.

Physical Goods - I have not sent out surveys yet for backer addresses. I will wait to do this until we are ready to ship the goods to make sure we have the most up to date information. So, don’t worry about address until you receive the survey.

Sandcaster got samples from the print shop this week for the map and poster. He says the map looks awesome but wants to up-res the poster, so it’s a little higher quality. When that’s done, it will be set to print and then we’ll package them up to ship.

The boxed version is something we still need to figure out. We haven’t decided yet who we will use to print the boxes and discs. It’s probably good to have some lag after release anyway so the build can become more finalized before we master it to disc. I’ll post another update when we get closer to shipping those and, of course, will survey addresses again when they’re ready to mail.

That’s all for now!

3/7/2016 status update - we posted a build to GoG over the weekend. Thir initial attempt to test it today found some minor errors. We’re putting up a new build now for them to try testing again.

DLC is configured on Steam, we’ve worked out how to distribute it with Humble and just have to get them data on backers in each group so they can finish the setup and we’ve provided info on how to structure DLC to GoG, so we just need them to set that up. Then we have to get keys for each tier on GoG and Steam and get those in place on Humble.

EDIT: adding quotes here to medierra’s subsequent posts in this thread (thanks ibugsy for the idea)

And from related threads:

Thank you for the post Med very helpful im perfectly fine waiting for a non DRM version just as long as its coming :slight_smile: Thanks for all the hard work put into the game and best of luck with it on release tommorow.

And here you thought posting updates was finished with the release of the game. :wink:

Thanks medierra.

If there’s any leftover boxed copys let me know. :slight_smile:

Will definitely get a second copy on GOG, to support DRM-free gaming and you guys.

Thanks for the info !

thanxs for the info! I can’t wait! :slight_smile:

Hi,

As a KS backer, I was wondering whether if I redeemed my key on STEAM, I can still switch to the DRM-free and/or GOG copy later with the same key. In other words, does using your key on one distribution platform void it on the others?

Thanks for this, very pleased to hear this will be coming to GOG as well, I will be buying a copy on there too to show extra support!

Cheers,

Tony.

What is the problem of manual fixes??? Just put the news and links on your site (and maybe in the game).
You can too make like ArcenGames: auto patches by the game itself. No need Steam or other drm.
However there is Galaxy which has automatic updates too, at GOG’.

woohoo for GOG. Thanks medierra for this, please let me get in line to change my steam key for a GOG key. I can’t wait for my DMR non steam GOG version! woo hoooooooooooooo

Thanks for this update. I actually never even heard of kickstarter until after GD’s KS was over so i bought my Loyalist edition from Humble back in 2012. So i needed to see this post, thanks again.

So DRM-free backers have the privilege of waiting longer, and you never thought to figure out a patching system before release, although DRM free has been on the FAQ for a long time? Makes me feel great that I get the afterthought. At the very least, those who didn’t use a steam key should get the option to redeem on GOG, but I haven’t heard a response on any media channels about that. I’m really disappointed at this last stretch here, once again Steam users get their cake and eat it too.

they have been pretty busy working on the version that is available… as was said, the DRM free one is a few days later and as far as patching is concerned, you will get them, it is just a matter of how, again, priorities…

Makes me feel great that I get the afterthought.

because getting it a few days later makes the game you get so much worse

At the very least, those who didn’t use a steam key should get the option to redeem on GOG, but I haven’t heard a response on any media channels about that.

Giving people the choice to get it on Humble or GOG is just adding a lot of work on Crate for no good reason

I’m really disappointed at this last stretch here, once again Steam users get their cake and eat it too.

biggest market, so more important, welcome to reality.

You chose to not be part of this, don’t blame Crate for your decisions. Yes, waiting a few days longer is not as nice, but it also makes very little difference.

Is it too late to offer you an additional donation to qualify for the physical goods? I was a loyalist backer way back in the day before it was offered.

Same here. I’m a loyalist backer but would be more than happy to throw down more money for a physical copy.

I had to google GoG. It used to be Good old Games (according to wikipedia) and it’s a distribution system, headquartered in Warsaw right?

OP didn’t explicitly say this so I will ask, does that mean we can get a disk from this company? Great news, if so!

At the moment only those who contributed to certain tiers of the Kickstarter will get a disc copy. But if enough people ask/want maybe Crate will consider having more made to sell direct.

unfortunately i think so :undecided: that’s why i bought the game twice, one for EA and one for final release. now i plan to finish Darkest Dungeon, uninstall Steam and play GD drm-free

but all of this was totally worth it imo (GD is my most played game of these three last years after all :slight_smile: )

I bought EA steam key few days ago and played only for 2 days and now I’m waiting for DRM free version of the game so I don’t have to deal with steam. I thought that by buying the EA from this site for $25 I should be also able to download final DRM free version from Humble store, isn’t that right ?

At least this is written below “digital version” of the game on “Buy Now!” page:

[i]- Play now, during development, with early access on Steam.

• Get the finished game upon release; on Steam or from Humble Store DRM free.[/i]

I really hope I don’t have to buy the game again to be able to get DRM free version of the game from Humble store since I spent only around 10 hours in game during EA period of game on steam since I bought it a day before B31 build.

Yes, since you bought from the GD web site, you will get the DRM-Free version if you want. That’s one of the perks from buying from the GD web site, especially if you missed the KS.