GOG Key Status

Yes it was: http://imgur.com/T4sJylC

Play now on Steam
DRM Free copy included (coming soon)

Really thought it was drm copy included too. Oh well, no big deal i guess…

I guess the real issue is that Crate went with GOG for the DRM Free version instead of hosting it on Humble. I have many titles that I have both a Steam key and a DRM Free Humble download, but since GOG is handling that with Grim Dawn you don’t get both like my other titles on Humble.

That is the same screen I went through to purchase. But the humble page said otherwise:rolleyes:

Believe me this is a MAJOR concern. I am still sitting here trying to decide if I should swap the key out or just face the fact that I have to buy it on GoG again to get a DRM free copy losing any in game backer rewards because I was impatient and wanted to actually play the game during the beta phase. Honestly I was really surprised Crate handled it this way. IMHO they should have just kept the beta keys as just that so they could have expired them all then issued new keys when they shipped like other kickstarters did that didn’t give both a steam and drm-free copy as a backer reward.

Most people will NOT have an issue swapping the key, just like most people don’t have CC issues with steam. Having an issue happen to you ONCE and having to deal with steam support will definitely sour your stance on steam. It happened to me ONCE and now I try my hardest to buy DRM-Free ONLY now. If you have an issue with them canceling a key for you believe me you will be without ALL your steam games till it gets sorted out. And with the usual wait time between messages to steam support being around 3 days, it takes a minimum of 2 weeks to do any thing. So if most of the games you play are on steam or have preorders coming in in the next 2-3 weeks you better not rock the steam account because trust me from personal experience steam support for anything account related is in the top 5 WORST customer experience you will ever have to deal with.

I am definitely disappointed that crate didn’t automate this. I mean I picked and it is literally listed on my kickstarter info page that I wanted the DRM-Free copy. I figured the DRM-Free key would just show up like the first beta key did. I really do regret now even playing the beta. If I knew I would have to do the canceling of an actual game in the steam account to get my drm-free version I would never have redeemed the key. I can’t stress this enough messing with your steam account by getting games canceled is a VERY BAD idea especially if you have > 800+ games on there. The chance you could lose access to every single one of them due to even human error accidentally clicking some check box wrong indicating fraud happened would automatically suspend your account. Then you will be playing the worst game ever made email pong with steam support where the ball travel time is 3 days.

agreed, not entirely sure why that switch happened or when.

There were some people rooting for GOG over Humble in the original DRM free thread, not sure if they were the cause or if this was happening in parallel.

The rough timeline is provided by medierra in the OP of Backer Rewards and DRM-Free Copy. It’s actually the 4th quote down in the update section where jiaco added medierra’s updates.

and my pet and ingame items of loyalist edition?

nah it was in parallel. In the start GabeN was like lolol GoG XD what a bunch of losers > however today he’s not laughing anymore as GoG is becoming a competitor and they are “attacking” and I’m happy for the any % market share they get out of Steam’s pockets lol.

GoG has grown A LOT > a thing that helped was that the #1 or such game of 2015 Witcher 3 AAA caliber was released day 1 on GoG No-DRM so this has made the GoG reputation more popular to “mainstream” and also kudos to the devs to release GOTY 2015 100% DRM-free > GoG is a venture owned by the makers of Witcher 3 btw.

Now Humble is not a publicity platform. It makes absolute sense (business) to get their DRM-free to be sold by GoG rather than Humble. (+Exposure+ also GoG supporter dev. “prestige” lol)

But they didn’t know about GoG in 2012 and in 2012 GoG was far from a force of any level in the industry. The problem is not that they went with GoG today. The problem is how they handled (still handle) the situation for the supporters / buyers of GD from before… see my previous post above for reference.

Hi,

A friend of mine helped KickStart Grim Dawn in its early days and got an extra key, how do I use it? it does’t seem to be a Steam key and it look like this:

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Yaniv

That’s exactly how I feel. After my account was held hostage by Valve over an issue with a single game, if there is even a remote chance of being locked out of my Steam account again, I am not going to take it.

I have resigned myself to not getting the DRM free version of Grim Dawn since I activated the early access Steam key, though I am very disappointed it is being handled this way.

Hello GD-Dev. Team,

so what is going on…

This is my Edition:

Thanks for purchasing Grim Dawn Loyalist Edition!

The Loyalist Edition of Grim Dawn entitles you to the following:

Download the full game upon release, direct from us, DRM free or also via Steam and other distribution sites.
First Grim Dawn expansion when released.
Access to the alpha and beta once available
Digital download of Grim Dawn original music
Start the game in style with an exclusive swashbuckler's coat! (in-game item)
Enchanted Burrwitch Brew that never runs dry (in-game item). Far from granting an unfair advantage, this vile brew is certain to dull your combat abilities and may induce vomiting.
Massively stylish George Washington style powdered wig in-game accessory.
Will-O'-The-Wisp pet that acts as a light source in the dark.
High resolution digital game map suitable for use as a wallpaper or to print out for your wall.
"Crate Story" downloadable PDF that will give you insight into our epic struggle to found a new game studio and create Grim Dawn, from the final days of Iron Lore up to release day.

Please note: The “Grim Dawn Access Key” will be used for installation of the final game if it is not activated on Steam.

So were are my items and DRM-Free version? There are so many question i am lost…

I dont care what platform i need to download from i want my DRM Free copy and Ingame Items!

Best regards
Val.

P.S. Support Ticket is open on Humble Bundle with no answer till now…

I subscribe what you have posted here, same page for me on humble store, after a Loyalist purchase.

I pirated the GOG version while I waited but I don’t want to have to wait longer and risk screwing up my Steam account so I’m just going to buy it on GOG.

Top bullet point on that old page clearly says option to download the drm free version is “coming soon” in the meantime use the steam key that is “INCLUDED” with your purchase.

“or also” was confusing enough but tear this sentence apart as well and it reads to me here that it’s rather cut and dry.

Honestly no biggie since steam as DRM as it is to some can still be played offline and without a internet connection with Grim Dawn loading and playing fine.

Hey Crate, where is our GOG key? Me and my dozen romanian friends payed for it, less than 2$ each, but isn’t that better than getting it for free lol?

We can’t share the Steam key, duh lol.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Personally I say thank god for that switch, that means I don´t have to deal with humble bundle ever again once I get them to release the gog key to me, their support is horrific…

Humble support is hard at work processing all the requests for GOG keys. I just got a reply from them and got my key!

On a sidenote: I originally purchased through the HB store, not the Grim Dawn website, but at that time, HB support confirmed that I would indeed get a DRM-free copy on release date… apparently HB support was as confused by this whole Grim Dawn DRM-free stuff as we all are/were. Because of that confusion, their current HB support ninja gifted me his own personal copy of GD (purchased on the GD website, WITH DRM-free key). Awesome support!

@medierra: if you want to do a good deed, you should gift that HB support person a copy of Grim Dawn, so he doesn’t lose his own copy because of this whole situation! (if you happen to actually agree with this, just pm me for his name)

I’m going to see if they can just give out GOG keys to anyone who requests them, regardless of where they got it. Back in the day, I decided not to offer a DRM-Free copy on Humble’s Storefront just to keep things simple, especially when the beta was only on Steam and also to help promote purchasing through our website. At this point, I think it may just be complicating things.

I’m not sure GOG will agree to do that officially going forward but I think it is fine as a one-time thing now for past customers.

I’ll give some keys to the Humble team as thanks too. While the release hasn’t gone smoothly for various reasons, they have gone above-and-beyond in terms of the amount of time and effort they put into it.

That would be an awesome solution for everyone!

I recommend that people just have patience for a few more days, and give Crate and Humble support the time to work this all out. They all are hard at work trying to sort this out in a satisfying way to all involved!