Bad MIs and affixes

Hello, I have gotten a bit addicted to modding Grim Dawn and would like to change affixes here and there and possibly some MI stats. I’d like to hear from you guys which affixes and MIs are bad / no one uses / could better support the builds they are meant for, either thematically or balance-wise. My goal is to do some balancing myself :slight_smile:

Are there any affixes that are straight up bad and no build makes use of them? Are there parts of affixes or MIs that simply do not help the build that they are meant for? Give examples that you hate :slight_smile:

One example I’m looking at is Basilisk Mark. It gives nice bonuses to Blood of Dreeg, surely there are people very happy about the increased duration. But why in God’s name does it give a ton of Poison resist when just activating Blood of Dreeg will bring your Poison resistance almost up to cap? Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to give less Poison Resist but also a little increase to Maximum Poison resistance?

I’m also looking at Gildam Arcanum but I have a very hard time understanding exactly how it works: how it interacts with skills that have an innate chance of CDR or with other items that have Gildam Arcanum but with different percentages. Are they all separate rolls? Does the game do one single roll with a 10% chance if you have two items that both give a 5% chance of 65% CDR? I won’t touch it until I understand it better, can someone give examples of builds that rely on this Suffix? I’m currently playing a Perdition Sentinel and having some CDR on both Aegis and Ascension is pretty nice but it doesn’t really feel build defining. I know a lot of people would like to spam Aegis but I’ve tried that and it’s actually a lot less satisfying than getting back to back CD resets. What annoys me about Gildam Arcanum is that the CDR % varies so much, you basically have to look at your action bar to see how much it did.

That works fine in games like WoW where you can use WeakAuras to get visual / audio cues to understand that your skill is ready to use and you don’t need to look at the action bar to see the CD, but it doesn’t work in Grim Dawn imo. I’m considering making it always just give 100% CDR and reducing the chance (so that you need multiple items to reach a good chance for it to happen), but I need to understand how these percentages work together.

“thematic”
also so you can use it as a non Occultist included build and still get acid res covered

devs generally don’t like to give us too much max res increase, because it becomes incredibly powerful

yes

no

memes, because you generally don’t build to rely on RNG, however stacking 5 items with gildam arcanum suffixes allow for some silly interactions

that’s how RNG cooldown reducts work, which is also why people in general don’t “build” around it deliberately, but include is as a throwaway bonus, because it can just “interfere” a bit in the sense things doesn’t become as smooth since you need to pay more attention to stuff

edit, as to bad affixes, there really aren’t any “bad” rare affixes, lots of meaningless magick affxies, but seems like they might get cleaned up in next patch (hopefully) anyway

as for MIs, would probably be a chore to go through everyone, and ofc some MIs still have use ex for levelling even if they don’t have the same use for endgame
i think Ragrathar’s Horn is probably one of the more widely agreed “useless” MIs since the modifiers just doesn’t fit, for levelling or endgame
not enough that i’d mod my game to fix it tho, but it’s def out there in terms of not good MIs

Thanks for all the answers, it was very educational! I admit I haven’t played super much before getting into modding, so it’s great to get info like this. I only got one build to lvl 100 HC and didn’t get so far into the endgame. But modding is fun and I can’t stop :smiley:

Since it’s separate rolls I’m thinking of just setting the CDR to 100% so you don’t have to look at your bar; it either happened or didn’t, and then having a fixed chance for it to happen (no jitter) that you can build up by having multiple items.

Maybe 33% would be a nice number to reach with 3 items? I see most builds don’t have many greens. Is having 3 greens in a build reasonable in order to achieve a 33% chance in a cooldown reset? I think it would be VERY juicy for Oathkeepers for example, they would have a lot of chances at spamming shield and then there’s Ascension…

A dream scenario would be if I somehow could make it so that it has a very high chance to proc the first time (say, 50%), then for the 2nd proc it would go to 25%, then 12,5% etc so it really feels good each time it procs again. :slight_smile: But I don’t see any way to do that, unfortunately.

sure
that wont be your main issue tho
again, it’s separate rolls, so they don’t stack additively, ie 3x items with 11% doesn’t equate to 33%
but in either case; it would be massively OP :sweat_smile:
33% 100% resets is going to break the game, completely, when it’s on non modifier slots, meaning you can incorporate it into every build without sacrifice

unsure if that’s possible, it’s basically like a reverse charge buff, like savagery, but i wouldn’t know how to or even if can tie that to different items/slots, since usually each granted skill is their own/separate

Mayhap, especially considering there’s another 25% roll for one of the skills :slight_smile: It feels very hard to balance around 100% CDR. Too much and it’s insanely good, too little and we’re backing to having a meme RNG build. I still think 100% CDR is the way to go, it’s… just not fun checking the actionbar imo.

Can you explain what you mean by “non modifier slots”? I thought it was its own suffix and by having it you miss out on other suffixes that could be beneficial to the build.

modifiers are stuff that boost skills directly, like the eor axe with +40? fire dmg to EoR
usually 100% reset effects are on slots, like weapon slots, to force you into a certain approach "to benefit from that 100% cdr, ex could be bloodlord blade with 12%? chance of 100% cdr to Possession or such
gildam arcanum is a suffix, for belt and ring slots, which doesn’t block modifiers/doesn’t force you to sacrifice build items to obtain it
and it can even be applied to ammy and medal slot, meaning you could even get it while still getting modifiers boosting your intended build on MI medals or MI necklaces
that makes it really strong if you’re then slapping 100% cdr on gildam, on 5 slots, easily fit into builds without causing sacrifices on top
like, cold shadow strike would be nuts with that much free resets

Of Gildam Arcanum suffix provides massive skill disruption resistance, that alone makes it worth its salt.

That’s cool. Can you think of any MIs or affixes that never see any use in mildly successful builds?

Thanks a lot for all the explanations, I will put this on ice for now and play with it as it is. My current Sentinel just died in Crucible sooo… :stuck_out_tongue: I’m going to play a mobile HC Purifier now. I have nothing against the “stay in your seal” gameplay, but I did always wish there was a mobile variant that dashes and applies fumble. :slight_smile:

I’ll see see how long I can get away with playing an offensive dw pistol build with two added skills: one dash for Inquisitor and one Smoke Bomb skill that activates at 80% HP for the Demolitionist (basically the outlaw smokebomb itemskill). I’m guessing it will have same problem as all aggressive ranged builds, one day a miffed cocktail and RNG failing me will get me one shot.

There’re a plenty of those, but i’m probably the wrong guy to ask about it.