Banding / Posterisation / Posterization In Game Graphics

Hiya … just wondered if anyone other than @shamanic, here, has experienced stuff like this:

note the banding on the fog

I’m on a 10-bit monitor, with a 5900X + RX 6900 XT with 32GB DDR4 and all the bells and whistles turned on in the game graphics. I’ve tried some trivial driver settings in the radeon software, but it doesn’t seem to want to give up on those thick, chonky, belts of grey (or others, elsewhere).

Is there maybe either:

1. A command line setting to get some more finely tuned gradients here?
  2. Or perhaps a 3rd party shader setup for Grim Dawn (I wouldn’t know where to start) or something that could maybe help alleviate this?

No worries if it’s a non-starter, but figured it worth a shout in asking.

Maybe using [Tool] Grim Internals for turning off the fog (which some players prefer to do) would help? Or is it not the fog in the picture?

1 Like

Cheers … yeah, maybe that’s an option.

That said, it’s not really the fog, per se … it’s that the banding / posterisation is just so horrible looking that it’s distracting. Fog will be far from the only thing affected by it. :frowning:

Again, this isn’t a big big deal … it’s just really distracting is all.

Yeah … I’m actually beginning to think something is wrong with my system / game … this ain’t right, is it?

I’ve never used reshade, but would something like the following reshade mods work with full game mods like the D2: RoT mod? I will ask in the official thread, but if it’s an easy answer by someone, it was worth asking here:

1. The Grim Adventures
  2. Reshade Graphical Overhaul
  3. Aetherial ReShade

Secondly, it’s unclear if that comic thing ( in #2, RGO ) is optional, and one would rather not have cell shady / outlined stuff everywhere. Just nice ( perhaps more full ) colour gradients.

It will work regardless of the mod you load - it basically hooks into the game itself and once it has done that it’s going to work regardless, or it should.

All ReShade stuff you find like that are user created presets - in other words the user tweaked it how they liked it then uploaded the preset file containing their settings. From that point on if you use their presets you can easily tweak it further. ReShade has a lot of options and it can take some time to familiarize yourself with the tool tho.

I did fiddle with it in the past but its been awhile since I’ve used it. That said I have no idea if it would actually solve your banding issue.

1 Like

Cheers, mate … I’ll look into just going standard reshade first, then, and see if I can build a personal thing.

I’ll also test a couple of other games to see if this is a system issue (or perhaps just this monitor’s limitations - but I doubt that).

EDIT: FWIW - I was only worried that the mod had altered some of the same files that a reshade might.

EDIT 2: If I were to attempt a ReShade would simply making a backup of the install directory be good enough to restore the game in the event of a “far cup” ( say that aloud )?

EDIT 3: OK, I’m having some luck, at least … but I’m beginning to think there’s issues perhaps with my monitor. I promise I’ll try other games soon. :sweat_smile:

Anyway, here you can see a definite difference in the screenshots from steam.

ReShade Deband.fx OFF:

ReShade Deband.fx ON (Strength: High):

I’ve also tried dithering in shadows_midtones_highlights to some success, but not as pretty.

I feel like I’ve got a key setting on somewhere with the Radeon or something!

EDIT 4: Perhaps it’s related to my ingame GAMMA slider, it’s notably better when that is lowered, but then I can basically see nothing. :sweat_smile:

1 Like