Battle tactics

:open_mouth:

:scream:

Mods actively delete replies they find rude on many threads, not just this. I’ve been hit by it a few times too :slight_smile:

@OP, you must have seen it already. Grim dawn isn’t mostly a game of mechanical skill. It’s a game of stats. The best way to not die is to get enough stats. Your skill still matters especially since enemy attacks are repetitive but no skill will save a bad build.

So yeah, powbam is right on the use your brains part. Try making your build better, and then familiarize boss attacks so you know what to do.

1 Like

It’s all those eyes you know. :rofl:

Staglaitor, assuming you’re talking about the build you posted then you already have Mark of the Traveller on your boots so can’t see you rejecting the advice given later. Plus there are probably other items in the game too which will give you more movement speed, you’re not restricted to just that one component.

If you insist on going into Crucible or Shattered Realm which is where I assume you’re talking about, welll don’t go in there. Same with the rogue-like dungeons, don’t enter them. None are obligatory for the main campaign.

Eye see :thinking:

Btw, @OP, Earlier mentioned easy to play build where you don’t have to even avoid getting hits for most stuff: Drunken Fwuffy - Retaliation Warlord

If you want more specific advice regarding your own build, the site incase you haven’t found it already: grimtools.com/calc

Image:

The button in the red circle lets you upload the char straight from the save file
The button in the green circle gives you the link you can then copy/paste here

Yes, I am aware that neither is in a circle…

Dogde and Evade can help one bitt to.
there are some josfull staff in this topic Avoid melee attacks

high defecive abiliti and offesiv abiliti removal from monster can also give you smaller likelihood to get hitted. The capping is 60% thoogh

9 posts were split to a new topic: [Recommendation] Screenshot tool

enemy mobility debuffs don’t work in grim dawn. Neither does avoiding enemy attacks through positioning. Enemies ignore positioning and all forms of attempts to stun/freeze/root them. You can slightly reduce damage taken by not standing in pools, and sometimes stepping away, but it’s not a solution. True mobility doesn’t exist outside of act 1 or mods.

1). If nothing helps, run.
2). If running is not enough, don’t play at all. This is a 100% hit avoidance. :grava_yes:

I beg to differ. Other games may put more emphasis on the latter, but if tactical movement did not work, my death counter would be higher. And the former has its use, too.

So you can’t escape from Kuba pools or avoid Lucius meteors?

Tactical movement works sometimes, when you know boss patterns.

The only time dodging with movement is somewhat hard is in high SR and Gladiator Crucible. And that’s because you fight several dangerous enemies at once.

In the main campaign? You can literally dance around bosses and they will barely touch you. For an example, i killed Ultimate Ramzul with Fire AAR Sorc and he never touched me once. The only thing that touched me were the storm traps on the arena.

When people complain that they can’t avoid a lot of the damage in the game, just tells me they are blaming the game instead of blaming their poor piloting skills. I have mediocre piloting skills and i can dodge a lot of damage by just moving around.

1 Like

When I posted this build, I felt that some movement skills could be looked at.

I still feel “Disengage” serves no purpose in game. Leaping out of combat causes enemies to charge at you and at times “makes matters worse”. I’m not going to get into that right now as I’ve said my piece in the past.

The only true way to deal with heavy hitters is to continuously kite by having them miss then turn around and attack. So yes, piloting skills are important.

Reaper is actually pretty dangerous and leads to a lot of WTF moments if you try and facetank him. Aside from his charge levels he can reduce your DA by 425 which means his next attack is gonna hurt like hell. I keep myself one character space away when fighting him. To be honest I’m not sure how powerful he is on SR 71, haven’t bothered checking.

1 Like

https://www.grimtools.com/monsterdb-sr/2186/skills it’s right there.

I personally REALLY enjoy disengage mobility skills. It makes for some really fun and interesting battlefield tactics especially with a character that runs runes or thermite mines.

Pull aggro, lay mines and runes as youre being chased, and after enemies run over them disengage so youre now behind them, and the enemies have to run back over your runes and mines while you launch your counterattack. Add in devotion “mine” abilities and things of this nature and it becomes really interesting.

Its also fun to use disengage as a forward jump, appearing to backflip lol. In multiplayer ive seen this done and it looks hilarious.

Outside of those uses it always feels great to narrowly dodge a hit or projectile by disengaging, i just wish there was a slide upon landing, to give a sense of momentum, or a small speed boost upon landing so theres no delay in movement whatsoever, making evasive action more seamless.

It’s a pretty common problem with “isometric” ARPGs: enemies must have attack animations long enough for a player to recognize them and be rewarded for knowledge in combat but that leads to the possibility of kiting superior enemies because they stand still for too long, recovering after the attack animation.

In Grim Dawn char’s speed is very limited (with very few exceptions) while tougher enemies receive various speed buffs during the battle to chase down the player and prevent cheese kiting. In crucible and SR it often results in facetanking - enemies are just that much faster than you and easily surround you.

The only possible solution i can think of is reduction to speed across the board but allowing enemies and player to attack while moving (each attack and skill would have its own “reduced own movement for x%” innate stat). Not sure it will be implemented anywhere tho.

Well, you do have the option to get stuff to slow enemies down. Problem is it doesn’t work on heroes/bosses which is where the OP is having problems.

1 Like

I wonder how unfairly it would be in regards to balance of power if there was a skill or ability introduced which actually had the ability to reliably slow said enemy heroes/bosses for a moderate period of time.

Could perhaps be accompanied by a serious risk factor debuff to the player, not in speed but perhaps -% HP regen or a massive -% energy regen and a big ol’ cooldown that prevents spamming even with max CDR builds.

Is there anything like this, and maybe i just dont know about it?

well, you have fevered rage for that. Except it speeds enemies up.

And enemy slow resist doesn’t affect it.

Wait… Why would enemy slow resist affect fevered rage? Honestly asking here, because I dont know- does Slow Resist also affect Speed Increases?

Not sure I am following you there Boromonokli

It’s a debuff that affects speed as a tradeoff, I’m impressed the “debuff” it doesn’t get reduced like the other regular slow debuffs.