[Battlemage] Markovian's sword and board destroyer

Fight your enemies face to face like a real Markovian’s destroyer! [1.0.0.4]

*Updated to version 1.0.0.4. If you are following this guide, check the “Changes” section for more detailed information.

Statistics

*Note - these statistics are with 2 permanent buffs on (Menhir’s Bulwark and Field Command)

Without bonuses
http://grimcalc.com/build/HlQcotS
With bonuses
http://grimcalc.com/build/L2sSO8c

Equipped items

Weapon: Frenzied Bonecleaver of Fervor (Oleron’s Blood + Oleron’s Fervor)
Shield: Markovian’s Bulwark (Mark of Myrmidon + Outcast’s Bastion)
Head: Markovian’s Visor (Prismatic Diamond + Spellward Powder)
Shoulders: Markovian’s Vanguard (Rigid Shell + Spellward Powder)
Chest: Markovian’s Platemail (Kilrian’s Shattered Soul + Venomguard Powder)
Hands: Colossal Grasp (Unholy Inscription + Spellward Powder)
Legs: Chausses of Barbaros (Mutated Scales + Mankind’s Vigil)
Feet: Stonehide Exalted Treads of Attack (Mark of Mogdrogen + Spellward Powder)
Waist: Reforged Chains of Oleron (Antivenom Salve + Venomguard Powder)
Amulet: Markovian’s Distinction (Arcane Spark + Survivor’s Ingenuity)
Ring 1: Ring of the Black Matriarch (Roiling Blood + Breath of Life)
Ring 2: Incorruptible Cronley’s Signet of Attack (Ectoplasm + Survivor’s Resilience)
Medal: Markovian’s Stratagem (Arcane Spark)
Relic: Oleron’s Wrath

Constellations

Turtle Shell -> Field Command
Dryad’s Blessing -> Oleron’s Might
Assassin’s Mark -> Cadence
Maul -> Markovian’s Advantage
Targo’s Hammer -> Menhir’s Bulwark
Trample -> Maiven’s Sphere of Protection
Blind Fury -> Zolhan’s Technique
Falcon Swoop -> War Cry

Tips

In this section i will give you some tips and recommendations for both leveling and endgame. That doesn’t mean you have to follow everything. It’s supposed to be source of inspiration for you, not step by step guide.

About build
This build is good for new players (also HC viable). It’s forgiving to beginner mistakes like running into boss unprepared or trying to clear East Marsh too early etc. Playing is quite straightforward and maybe a little bit lazy. You just charge in the middle of the crowd and mash all the buttons until everything dies. Or you can just hold LMB if you need your other hand free IYKWIM. Some people like this playstyle, some like more active with lot of micromanagement and planning strategy like e.g. pet builds. I like both, it shows you the game from different perspective and it won’t feel repetitive.
This build focuses on durability so it never be one of the fastest builds. It still turned out better than i expected though. Damage/tankiness ratio is pretty good. Do you know that feeling when you read posts like “Mad Queen is OP”, “Sentinel too strong for melee” etc. and you just go there and kill them without any problems? No? You would with this build.
Another good thing is that you don’t need insane stats on your legendaries to make it work. You don’t even need those legendaries, i have finished ultimate with only 2 low level legendaries without any problems. It’s just a bit slower.

Enemies
Enemies you can’t facetank:

• Avatar of Mogdrogen - this guy has his own league, his both HP and damage are off the charts . Fortunatelly he spawns so many beasts that you can kill him using life steal. I facetanked him relatively easily in elite using [Bloodthirsty Bonecleaver of Voracity but it took disgusting amount of time. For killing him in ultimate you would need more attackspeed/lifesteal.

• Rashalga - the Mad Queen replaced Anasteria as the strongest enemy. She can’t kill you if you fight her ready to back out, she has no charge ability. Knowing her abilities helps you a lot in matter of killing time but you won’t face tank her, don’t even try it if you don’t want to die.

• Anasteria - she lowers your maximum resistances by 40, so you end up with 40 aether resistance. You can still tank all their abilities except Aether Meteor Rain. Taking all the waves = death, regardless of how tanky you are. Avoid it and you are fine.

You can facetank everything else 99,9% of the time (except when you decide to fight all the Clones of John Whiskey at once), usually without using healing potions if fight goes well, or 2-3 potions when RNG gods hate you. You can kill Loghorrean in 80 seconds, any other boss under 1 minute (times may vary, while Anasteria and Mad Queen will be probably closer to one minute, you can kill Fabius in 30 seconds). Clearing BoC (from the beginning of the Discord to killing Shar’Zul, killing all the champions and looting everything) takes 7,5-9 minutes (depends on how many champions you fight).

Weapon
Cadence build = autoattack build. It means you should get some attack speed bonus or at least fast weapon. Swords are fast but convert portion of physical damage to piercing damage. That doesn’t matter early game but when you start to get %physical damage bonuses, it will significantly reduce your damage. Maces have high damage but they are slow in general and have big damage span. That makes them unreliable for AA build but really good for spell builds (e.g. Blade Arc build). It means you should aim for axes. The best ones you can get for late game are Bonecleaver, Bonescythe and Exalted Double Axe. They are all comparable but Exalted Double Axe is craftable thus easier to get. They are all common, what matters are their affixes. I was successful with attack speed + life steal (rare affixes Bloodthirsty, [URL=“https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/4762-of-Voracity”]of Voracity and common affixes Vampiric, of Alacrity…). Weapon with both rare affixes “Bloodthirsty…of Voracity” makes you absolutely invincible in hordes of enemies or even against bosses who spawn minions. Unfortunately life steal doesn’t work against bosses, that’s why i am using Relentless Bonecleaver of Fervor. These two affixes are probably the strongest for pure physical damage soldier. For your imagination if i switch to Bloodthirsty Bonecleaver of Voracity, my DPS drops around 1200, if i use any legendary or empowered epic weapon, my DPS drops more than 3k. Update Since 1.0.0.3 i am using Frenzied Bonecleaver of Fervor. Check “Changes” section for more information.

Optional items
Aside from Markovian’s set, you have 7 items to complement your build. If you want to have capped/overcapped resistances, you need two green items with the right prefixes. Ring or belt with Incorruptible and one other item with Stonehide. Suffixes are optional, i prefer of Oleron’s Wrath, of Readiness and of Attack. Belt (Reforged Chains of Oleron) gives you +1 to all soldier skills, it’s a no-brainer. (Update Etram Fald can craft belts only as armor since 1.0.0.4, i don’t know if this also changed but it was nearly impossible to get this belt from him in previous patches.) If you can’t get this one, try to get Warpath Girdle. These are the only two belts that give +1 to all soldier skills. It means that first green item will be ring. I went for the Cronley’s Signet because i like the attack speed bonus and also farming this ring is quite easy, you get reputation and later you can farm both Fabius and Cronley. Then it’s up to you which item will be “only” rare, IMO boots provide less bonuses than gloves and pants. For some reason “of Readiness” suffix provides less bonuses for armor than for accessories, that’s why i am using “of Attack”.

Relics - Oleron’s Wrath is offensive relic for soldier (try to get one with Deadly Momentum + another skill you are using, don’t let it waste extra skill point!). You can also get defensive version Menhir’s Bastion if you feel like you need more deffense but i think Oleron’s Wrath is worth more. From tier 2 relics you are looking for Juggernaut.

Leveling
You can put all the attribute points into Physique but keep some points unspent. You will need ±5 points in Spirit because of accessories. And it’s good to keep at least 10 points late game so you can chose where to spend them, depending on your build.

For skills i recommend to put 3 points per 2 levels into mastery bar (on average). With this you will reach the maximum at level 33. You can put more points into mastery bar at the beginning and later more points into skills. Cadence is your main damage source, max it first but put at least one point into utility skills like Blitz, Menhir’s Will or Fighting Form as soon as possible. Then it’s up to you and your playstyle. I gave priority to Menhir’s Bulwark, Squad Tactics and Deadly Momentum. Then Military Conditioning and Shield Training for defense purposes. From arcanist tree you want Inner Focus and Maiven’s Sphere of Protection but not early game and maybe not even mid game. Inner Focus bonuses are procentual and unless you have some good base stats, you won’t even notice the buffs. Maiven’s Sphere is double-edged sword. It lowers your damage and for some reason even life steal, also almost 11 energy per second is a big deal, especially for soldier. You need items with energy regen to avoid energy drain. Try it and you will see if it’s worth it in different phases of the game. What i used for leveling is Olexra’s Flash Freeze, it’s so OP it’s almost disgusting. You just charge in the middle of the crowd, freeze everything and kill them all before freeze ends. Unfortunatelly you can’t freeze bosses, so i leveled Mirror of Ereoctes. With cooldown low enough you can alternate between healing potions and Mirror and easily facetank bosses. These two spells make you strong even if you are behind with items and level and allow you to rush through game if you want (i have ended elite with lvl 63).

Constellations - start with Tortoise or Dryad, rushing Ascendant constellations is pointless because both Anvil and Autumn Boar have skill that triggers on block, you need good shield with Battered Shell or Reinforced Shell first and maybe some points in Shield Training. Assassin’s blade and Oleron are late game constellations because you can’t crit that much during leveling unless you are heavily focusing on OA.
*Note - Dryad’s Blessing is bound to Oleron’s Might because if you bind on-attack devotion skills to skills with cooldown, their chance to proc increases. E.g. Dryad’s Blessing has 33% chance on attack but if you bind it to Oleron’s Might, it’s chance is 100%. It means everytime you use Oleron’s Might, you heal yourself. It’s more reliable and you can actually heal more.

Constellations way could look like this:

1 Yellow crossroads
5 Dryad
-1 Yellow crossroads
5 Tortoise
1 Purple crossroads
3 Hammer
3 Eel
6 Dire Bear
1 Blue crossroads
-3 Eel
5 Falcon
-3 Hammer
5 Anvil
-1 Purple crossroads
7 Autumn Boar
4 Empty throne
5 Assassin’s Blade
7 Oleron

Why Cadence build?
You don’t have much choices:

1. Forcewave damage is underwhelming despite the buff in 1.0.0.4 patch. High energy cost is not a problem because you can’t spam it anyway, worse thing is that it counts damage from your shield which often forces you to choose between shield with good defensive stats and shield with bad stats but higher damage. It could be decent choice as a secondary skill because of the stun but since you can use OFF which is like hundred times better, it’s absolutely pointless.
  2. Blade Arc is good skill for offensive builds. It has mediocre base damage, to get some impressive numbers you must make sure you will crit (it has the best crit damage modifier in the game) which means that you need a lot more OA. You would have to switch Menhir’s Bulwark to Oleron’s Rage, components, augments, constellations…it would be completely different build. If you decide to go for that offensive build, it’s better to use 2H weapon, you would trade survivability for damage in good ratio. Switching to offensive 1H+shield Blade Arc build is unfavorable trade, you will lose more survivability than what you gain in damage output.
  3. You can rely on your two WPS (+ maybe full Blitz).
  4. You can go for Cadence + both WPS which triple your damage even though Cadence itself can’t proc WPS, only first two attacks can. It doesn’t mean Cadence is great or well designed skill, it’s just the best you have if you want to keep this level of tankiness.

Changes

Current changes
*Note: changes listed here are not mentioned in guide, i am using them and testing them right now

I got Earthsplitter with great stats so i started testing it and even though my sheet DPS dropped by almost 5k, the proc outweigh it. Clearing times seems to be better so far.

• Weapon changed to Frenzied Bonecleaver of Fervor
  • Constellations: Full Falcon instead of Hammer and points from Hawk and Eldritch Crossroads

I have made this changes at the same time. I realized i can get Falcon constellation but with it i lost 30 OA and i wanted to keep my crit chance. So i switched weapons to keep enough OA in exchange for losing thousand sheet DPS. More OA and Falcon proc increased damage output significantly.

This change is completely optional. I was testing reworked augments and i kept one of them. I couldn’t resist, it’s really OP. On the other hand i am using only one because i want to keep at least 70% block chance and maxed resists. Another reason why i chose more offensive augment instead of defensive is that i have several hundreds more HP than in previous patch. Why? Because everything this build is using was buffed (except Falcon Swoop) and DPS went up about 3k. So i started using items that rolled with more HP instead of damage.

Character download

Since i can’t provide any videos, i uploaded save file for testing purposes.

https://goo.gl/msX7nj](https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/5687-Bonecleaver)

To avoid questions about this:

1. Yes, the character is really tanky and HC viable. Death count and damage taken looks like this because this character was my “guinea-pig”, i tested lots of things and some of them were eh…less useful (read pretty stupid) like trying to kill Fabius in drunk fight (bare hands and without pants) or testing how much movement speed i need to run through aetherfire ground in Deadman’s Gulch without stopping etc.

2. Yes, the damage dealt is real, it was done against dummy with this setup:
    http://grimcalc.com/build/uv2yshX, Leviathan, Eldritch Gaze, Grasp of Unchained Might, The Peerless Eye of Beronath, Mark of Divinity, 3*Roiling Blood, 3* Survivor’s Ingenuity. The rest of the items was the same. These items are in inventory so you can try it, breaking the record shouln’t be that hard. If you like big numbers, 2H Blade Arc is perfect for you but go for Witchblade instead of Battlemage.

If you have any questions, suggestions or anything, leave a comment!

Good looking guide so far. Just wanted to be the first to say “thanks!” for putting it together.

Do “Tyrant” prefix and WarCry stack?

Just some personal preferences.

Why not pick up unknown soldier devotion for - shadow partner proc? (Helps you clear faster).

Also, why not pick up Oleron devotion for the proc and hp boost?

For attribute distribution, I would try to have 2:1 physique:cunning, then 5 into spirit. Perhaps spirit isn’t necessary at all since the arcanist mastery tree gives you a lot of spirit bonuses as you level.

I would pick up “Nullification” from arcanist skill tree because I find it useful, just one point is enough to remove debuffs. Up to you whether you think investing 10+ points into arcanist tree is worthwhile - I don’t think you need 5 in spirit anymore if you choose to pick up more arcanist mastery.

No, only the stronger debuff will take effect.

Unknown Soldier is good for nightblade, not soldier. It provides only piercing and bleeding bonuses, soldier is pure physical.

I don’t know what you mean, i am using Oleron constellation.

Physique is more valuable in general. It’s possible to end with 2:1 but i would wait for spending points into cunning to the very late game. But it’s just my recommendation.

I was actually thinking about going for Nullification and Absolute Zero for leveling but since you can’t respec points spent in mastery bar, i decided to stay at 15 points. Giving up 6 points from soldier mastery would weak you severely.

My bad on the Oleron, I misread.

Just another small matter.

Since we’re going the way of battlemage, we lack any skill-based healing and must rely on procs from devotions and hp potions, do you think it’s also prudent to pick up Giant’s Blood from Behemoth tree? (Also a bit more bonus hp).

The build looks promising, I run a lv 75 blademaster with almost equivalent dps. I guess your character will be more durable than my nightblade (only 8.5k hp).

Doesn’t this build have serious clear speed issues? I don’t see any meaningful damage skills because cadence is truly awful.

…I would probably put more points in to Arcanist mastery and put a point in to IEE to open up Elemental balance for +25% crit damage!!!

something like http://grimcalc.com/build/emMQKh

^----I’ve taken a few points out of some skills to cover it, but with the +4 Soldier skills you have, u will still have essential skills ranked to max and the 25% activation chance on Markovians / Zoltan’s!

Is the only way to get these boots through crafting ? I have spent over 4 million iron and still haven’t got them. I’m about to just give up :frowning: rng sucks.

…any ‘green’ item can be dropped my monsters so they are farm-able, however the easiest way to get something like this is through crafting. Stonehide is a pretty common prefix, so if u r not fussy about the suffix then it would not take that long to get something decent!

Judging by the uncanny similarities, however, I would say that the build poster probably got most of his gear from Dank-Raft’s shared save of his Markovian’s Blademaster!

I was just hoping there might be some other way I didn’t know about. I’m using so much iron to get a good pair of boots but I keep getting them without a suffix. I’ve been working on a shield user for a while but can’t get boots or weapon with days of farming. I guess I will have to just keep trying :slight_smile:

Behemoth is good, problem is that it’s on the other side of the constellation map. You would have to give up on many really good constellations. And Turtle Shell with Dryad’s Blessing should together provide more healing. But maybe you will find out better constellations composition, try it and tell us the result.

Normal mobs die from reflect and retaliation damage, stronger mobs die from retaliation and reflect damage + Targo’s Hammer and Trample procs (you don’t have to do anything most of the time). And for the strongest enemies you need a few hits but Cadence and Zolhan’s Technique hit 3 enemies at once and Blind Fury is also AOE when you crit. Of course it’s not as fast as other offensive classes (this is supposed to be a tank) but it’s not even close to be awful. I will add how long does it take to fully clear BoC later.

I know, you like big flashy numbers :slight_smile: It’s hard to test something if you can’t remove points from mastery bar. When i finish this guide, i will respec it and try more hybrid build.

Edit: The items are mine, i have different stats on them (can provide screens). RNG can be bitch, i was trying to get “Stonehide…of Oleron’s Wrath” but no luck for me…but i am fine with “of Attack”, i needed more OA anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

you could always try making ‘Squire’s Greaves’ …they have a pretty good chance of getting a Stonehide prefix (which will be lvl 67 if crafted at high enough level) and as they can only take one affix, all that counts is getting the Stonehide!

…crit damage isn’t all about big flashy numbers it’s about unseen DPS!

i have almost this equip … only searching for the ring cronley,feet and weapon … but i only have a 66% resis frost … and dont see the reason… … im level 78 …

What would some epic/leg alternatives for the rare slots be? I need to farm more so that I can craft for these rares eventually. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you prefer. Maxing resistances was top priority for me and only green items can do that. If you don’t have enough scrap or iron for some reason, you can farm wendors (depends on your luck, it took me 1,5 hours of reloading Devil’s Crossing to get Incorruptible Ruby Ring, Stonehide Exalted Treads and decent Exalted Double Axe). I am not saying it’s fun but it’s the safest and cheapest way.

If you don’t mind lower damage or resistances, you can go for any legendary/empowered epic you like :slight_smile:

I will try to write down some tips later, i don’t have time for that now.

I see one potential issue in this build, namely devotion procs. I’m asking as I’m leveling a hardcore Markovian soldier myself and I’m torn between physical (I preffer it more due to the native reduction from Break Morale and less physical resistance on mobs) or bleeding.

I see you are using Mault, Assasin’s Mark and Blind Fury. To which skills you bind them so you can proc them reliable? You only have Cadence (including WPS), Blitz and items skills. In my opinion Maul will proc once in a full moon, but this one isn’t a real issue, just a poor used devotion point (that point plus the 2 from Crossroads and the 1 in hawk can be used for a complete Viper, which will give more OA and benefits and will still keep the Dire Bear open). As Assasin’s Mark and Blind Fury are crit based you must bind them on a spammable or dot skill (the latest not available for a Battlemage). As Assasin’s Mark is far more important I assume you have it on Cadence (limited targets though, but needed mostly for heroes/bosses so it should be fine)? Then on what you bind Blind Fury? I like it for the dots and armor reduction, but if it doesn’t proc reliably it can be removed; with 1 point (Blind fury or maybe the internal trauma point), the full Tortoise could be switched for Shield Maiden (for better shield enhancements). Or Dryad + 1 point can be switched with Lion and Hawk (though I also like Dryad).

I’m asking as a sword and shield soldier will end up with about 15-20% crit chance on thrash and a 10-15% against bosses and a moderate speed (130-140%). If bound on a CD skill (even with the reduction from Markovian) or on a WPS, a crit based devotion will proc very rare.

On the other side, the good bleeding procs (like Rend and Howl of Modrogen) are both on attack procs and can be procced reliable with CD skills in 1.0.3. And more they are both procs with duration bigger then 5s so there is no need to be constantly procced.

Thanks for constructive post! As i said before, the build is not definitive (constellations especially) and even if it was, nobody has to follow it completely. I have recently switched to Frenzied version of weapon to get more OA and changed devotions to Falcon because of more damage and AOE instead of Hammer + point from Hawk and Crossroads.

Assassin’s Mark is indeed bound to Cadence, it hits three enemies but you really need it only against bosses, you are right. Maul and Blind Fury are bound to Zolhan’s Technique and Markovian’s Advantage. Maul procs cca every 4 seconds, it’s actually pretty good, better than if you bind it to skills with cooldowns (Blitz and War Cry). Blind Fury procs obviously less but it’s IMO still worth the one point, it deals around 10k damage (without counting resistence debuff) and lowers armor = you deal more damage afterwards.

I wouldn’t get rid of the Tortoise. It’s softcore character but i play it like it was hardcore. Anyway, you don’t need to buff your shield any more. It would make more sense to go for Solemn Watcher for more DA but you would need 5 more blue affinity points (i was trying it with Eel).

About bleeding…with this build you have total -80% physical resistance reduction and according to wiki and grimcalc, maximum physical damage resistance enemies have is 20. It means they all fight you with negative physical resistance. Bleeding is different. Some enemies have high bleeding resistance and many of them (undead) are immune to it (100, maybe more). You need lot of bleeding resistance reduction to make it work. I wouldn’t go for bleeding damage without built-in debuff like Curse of Frailty or Devouring Swarm.

My build is made with Witchblade in mind (without +skills): http://grimcalc.com/build/fEMS2q; OA is about the same due to Blood of Dreeg, so trading the Arcanist 20% absorbtion for the huge resistance reduction from CoF, a 10-15s heal (Markovian CD reduction) and 100 hp regen)

Main damage type physical, secondary bleeding. The gear is similar with what you use, but using a crafted hammer and https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/8222-Demonbone-Legplates as pants (to overcap with 1 point CoF).

Falcon bound to Cadence, Assassin’s Mark to Bloody Pox (used on heroes/bosses only), Rend on War Cry (this hits all screen, has 100% proc, 5s duration and due to Markovian 5s CD; open first with CoF and follow with War Cry and the trash melts) and Maul to Blade Arc/Blitz (71/51% chance due to transmute, so on packs is pretty much guaranteed to proc).

Turtoise proc is a pretty weak in ultimate.